summer weather in canada/new england? please help

musicmansmom

Laura: from "that other thread" re: panic over safety on board.

Carol, I like the way you think!

Yeah, we definitely have to cruise together some time. (during school vacation, of course! ;))

OR, you could meet me at one of our ports of call on our upcoming Enchantment cruise! You live there, right? ;)

Carol

Where are my Maine Experts?

Bar Harbor's Chamber of Commerce just sent me a great "magazine", The Official Guide to Bar Harbor.

I'm reading the ads, trying to distill it all down into a choice for eating lunch.

Anyone know anything about Jack Russell's? Parkside? Rupununi? West Street Cafe? Carmen Verandah? (LOVE the name!) (Galyn's, which you guys mentioned, is in here, too) (Geddy's is on the website, but not in the magazine)

Carol

Laura: from "that other thread" re: panic over safety on board.

Yeah, we definitely have to cruise together some time. (during school vacation, of course! ;))

OR, you could meet me at one of our ports of call on our upcoming Enchantment cruise! You live there, right? ;)

Carol

I actually live in MA, but one side of my family is from Maine, so I have spent a LOT of time in Maine...my fiance actually went to college in Portland as well, coincidentally, and lived there for a few years. We fancy ourselves to be "unofficial" Mainiacs!

I think we would have a blast cruising together sometime! School vacation or not! ;)

Hey Carol, don't know about Bar Harbor, but I do have a neighbor who grew up there. I promised to help with some air conditioners this afternoon, so I'll ask her. When did you say your cruise was?

Here is a picture of Enchantment taken last Wednesday at the port.

hpw4.jpg

Hey kenandlaura, which college did you attend here? I am currently and "older" student who is attending the University of Southern Maine. I won't hold it against you being from Mass.

Bar Harbor is a very small town - and most of the resturants will have their menu with prices posted. We usually end up at Getty's or Galyn's - Rupununi's (Carmen Varandah's) is a little bit more expensive than I usually want to pay. I'm not sure which is which but one of them has seating outside..which is nice on a summer day, and today is a beautiful Maine day.

Laura is your fiance named Ken? I have always been partial to that name as I have been married for 31 years to a Ken. I have enjoyed reading your posts and think that you would make a lovely "maniac".

Rich - what are you studying? I keep plugging along on my masters .... so far its been 5 years on something that should only take 2 - but I love being a student!

Enjoy! Jan

Jan, I'm in the Bachelors of Social Work program at USM with intentions of getting my masters degree. I am doing my internship with child welfare this fall. Wish me luck.

MM, haven't been to my neighbor's yet, but haven't forgotten you.

Thanks for all the current weather information. Is there anyone prepared to be a long range forecaster out there? We sail to Montreal from New York on 7 September. I don't want to panic but wasn't going to bring any summer clothes - wrong move? I know 'layer, layer, layer' is the way to go but any extra help would be appreciated.

One thing that they always say about New England, is if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes. I would bring summer clothes as it could be in the 90's or it could be in the 60's. But most likely in the 70's. Also it depends upon where you are from -(my family is now all over the country) I have a sister that lives in Mississippi and one that lives in Virginia - My niece from Miss. thinks its way too cold in Virginia in the summer - I on the other hand think its too warm.

Usually September is a beautiful month with low humidity....but then its been a crazy year - we've had thunder showers today with tornado watches - lost our power at work for an hour (amazing how work can come to a halt very quickly.)

I would bring a little of each - layering works! Enjoy - Jan

Merionmom--

You asked about places to eat. I have tried several of the places you mentioned and was not very impressed with the food at any of them (although several have decent atmosphere). I have been told (but do not know personally) that several of them use half frozen Canadian lobster and half fresh lobster claws and pieces from the Bar Harbor area, but not any tail meat.

My personal favorite is a little place near the dock. When you leave the terminal, turn right and go a block or two (West St?) and it is on the left. This is a small place that may have a table or two outside and one table inside. It is narrow and I believe it is painted white. Not fancy at all. Without question, the best, freshest lobster in Bar Harbor itself. Sorry that I have neither a name or exact address for you, but I believe that Jan may be able to provide a few more details. (The altermative is to rent a car or see about a taxi or van to one of the lobster pounds out of town).

Hope that this helps.

Thanks for all the current weather information. Is there anyone prepared to be a long range forecaster out there? We sail to Montreal from New York on 7 September. I don't want to panic but wasn't going to bring any summer clothes - wrong move? I know 'layer, layer, layer' is the way to go but any extra help would be appreciated.

I would definitely bring some shorts and short sleeves. As said above you can definitely have 80s during the days.

On a weather website I checked, the daytime temperatures on September 7 can range from 50 degrees F to 100 degrees F. It's so hot and humid here right now I'd take 50 in a flash. Actually, since I love snow & ice, I'd take 15 in a flash! :D And since cement/pavement retain heat even more, you definitely need to be prepared for hot summer weather in early September. If you're lucky you'll get one of those gorgeous fall days, but unfortunately in this area you cannot count on it!

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks as if I hit the shops for some summer gear - any excuse! Coming from winter will probably make it feel hotter than it is! Of course, if I arrive there with a suitcase full of summer gear, you know what's going to happen don't you?

Are there any tennis fans out there? I need to know what the shade situation is at the US Open. Here's hoping the temperatures drop a bit by the second week!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived