Help with route from Staten Island to Port Liberty, riding a motorcycle

sharod

Hubby needs to ride our motorcycle from Hampton Inn Staten Island to Port Liberty.

I am looking at two different routes. Not knowing the roads, traffic conditions, etc., not sure which would be the the easiest/safest option.

He needs to be at the port between 10:00 - 10:30 on a Thursday. Just throwing that info out there!

Here are the two options....

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hampton+Inn+%26+Suites+Staten+Island,+Hampton+Inn+%26+Suites+Staten+Island,+1120+South+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+NY+10314&daddr=40.6166441,-74.1719647+to:40.6273698,-74.1665765+to:40.6257276,-74.1547681+to:40.6249399,-74.1475146+to:Cape+Liberty+Cruise+Port,+Port+Terminal+Boulevard,+Bayonne,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.639098,-74.132137&spn=0.079329,0.110378&sll=40.632063,-74.149904&sspn=0.019834,0.027595&geocode=FTO1awIdyR-U-yF79WCIEA6fQiktb0Tr8EzCiTF79WCIEA6fQg%3BFcTCawIdxDmU-yndZS6M-EzCiTFblnQnZ5G1Yw%3BFansawId0E6U-ym35nHdq03CiTEfHIJEXmdhFg%3BFT_mawId8HyU-ykHLOrgs03CiTH_IVkFx3Fzyg%3BFSvjawIdRpmU-ynxRRj-tU3CiTFDS99nECvWjQ%3BFcaAbAIdSLCV-yGxvxl7NJg1fimrqqqq5lHCiTGxvxl7NJg1fg&oq=cape+lib&t=h&mra=dvme&mrsp=4&sz=15&via=1,2,3,4&z=13

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Hampton+Inn+%26+Suites+Staten+Island,+Hampton+Inn+%26+Suites+Staten+Island,+1120+South+Avenue,+Staten+Island,+NY+10314&daddr=Cape+Liberty+Cruise+Port,+Port+Terminal+Boulevard,+Bayonne,+NJ&hl=en&sll=40.851314,-74.048691&sspn=0.632606,0.883026&geocode=FTO1awIdyR-U-yF79WCIEA6fQiktb0Tr8EzCiTF79WCIEA6fQg%3BFcaAbAIdSLCV-yGxvxl7NJg1fimrqqqq5lHCiTGxvxl7NJg1fg&oq=cape+liber&t=h&mra=pd&z=13

If there is a better route, please let me know!!!!

I would take the first option. The second option puts him onto the Staten Island Expwy which may still be backed up from the morning rush (as well as construction). Forest Ave is a wide commercial street and traffic moves along well.

Marge

Thank you!!!

Do you think 30 minutes should be enough time for him to make it to the port?

Personally, I'd take the second route, but unless you know the exact traffic conditions at the time it's kind of useless to say one is better than the other, because the differences between the routes are so slight.

30 minutes is fine assuming traffic is normal.

Personally, I'd take the second route, but unless you know the exact traffic conditions at the time it's kind of useless to say one is better than the other, because the differences between the routes are so slight.

30 minutes is fine assuming traffic is normal.

I hear you!!!

My husband has been driving 18-wheelers going on 30 years now. DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Trenton, etc. He has seen and been in just about any kind of traffic known to man. And they can change in a New York minute!! Oh, the stories he comes home with:eek:....oh boy!!!!

I just didn't know if one route, on a "normal":cool: day, is better than the other. I will be taking the hotel shuttle, so he won't have a second set of eyes looking out for him. Not sure how well marked/easy the street signs would be for him to see. Sometimes they are small, hidden behind a tree, or non-existent!!

Just trying to get him to the port safe and sound:)

Either route is fine---as NJ Horseman said the differences are slight. The 2nd route puts him directly onto the Staten Island Expwy whereas the 1st route has him on a local avenue . As far as the first route: From where the hotel is he will be turning left onto South Ave and going about a mile to Forest Ave which is the only large commercial Ave he will encounter.....turning right onto Forest Ave he will then only have to look for an overpass (Rte 440) as he will be turning left just after he goes under it. I'm figuring maybe 10 minutes from hotel to Rte 440. I'm not familiar with the NJ side of the directions but estimate 30 minutes should be fine.

Archived