Carnival bacon

skyeman27

A hundred years ago ALL the bacon was limp and undercooked. I used to ask for crisp and they'd do their best to find some under the pile. I now suspect a lot of Americans would ask for it crisp and over the years it was gradually cooked more and crispified.

Lately it seems to be floppy (I'm still talking about bacon here ya pervs :D) once again .... and on top of that, as others have mentioned, they have guards on it.

On our last cruise several of the pieces were shaved so thin they only had one side.

Good thing that I had already swallowed my wine or my monitor would be purple right now. Yes, it is thin, yes they do dole it out and yes it is greasy, but it still tastes better than the bacon on Royal and this is a loyal Royal person saying that.

We saw the bacon police on Triumph, but what they were doing was a bit odd. They would put three or four pieces of bacon on a plate, then the person they were serving would simply say "more" and they would keep putting bacon on the plate until the person was happy. Saw a lot of plates waiting to be bused with leftover bacon on them. Doesn't make much sense to have bacon police if they aren't going to limit the amount a person can ask for :confused:

The bacon for breakfast at the lido buffet is never cooked enough for me. Yes I've always seen the bacon police, however they have not been stringy with me. I always tell them "just 2 pieces" if I have the bacon - on the Imagination I just asked the guy for whatever was so burnt they were going to toss it. He tried to find the crispier pieces for me, and before I could stop him tossed maybe 10 pieces on to my plate. :eek: I felt bad about the waste because it was not good - couldn't eat it.

But the bacon for the BLTs has been crisp, at least whenever I've ordered one. Thank goodness. It would be so gross to get toasted bread that was soggy from soaking up bacon grease.

Then you weren't on our October20th cruise because it was doled out every single morning. Im sure it's because of all people who constantly feel the need to take a lot more they intend to eat. Wasn't a biggie for us...but it was definitely being done.

I will always remember that entire cruise since we rode back to PC a day late courtesy of Hurricane Sandy.........:eek:

No, I wasn't on that cruise and you weren't on my October 14th cruise where they only stationed the bacon police when the buffet got busy. We each sailed a different ship and each experienced different things:).

We saw the bacon police on Triumph, but what they were doing was a bit odd. They would put three or four pieces of bacon on a plate, then the person they were serving would simply say "more" and they would keep putting bacon on the plate until the person was happy. Saw a lot of plates waiting to be bused with leftover bacon on them. Doesn't make much sense to have bacon police if they aren't going to limit the amount a person can ask for :confused:

Bacon isn't any more expensive than sausage is and there are no sausage police. I believe the bacon police are there only because people will take forever to find "just the right piece" which will slow down the lines horrendously. As many have pointed out they will give you all of the bacon that you want if you ask for it. (And I agree with those who have said that CCL's bacon isn't the greatest, I stopped taking any after the third day.)

Bacon isn't any more expensive than sausage is and there are no sausage police. I believe the bacon police are there only because people will take forever to find "just the right piece" which will slow down the lines horrendously.

Good point. Now that you mention it, I've seen this very thing at many land based breakfast buffets.

To make up for the nasty bacon I go to the omelet station and order an omelet and 3 eggs over easy at the same time. I ask the cook to not fold the omelet and leave it flat like a pancake, then ask him to place the 3 eggs over easy on top of the omelet. Many cruisers do not know that they can get their eggs done sunny side up ,over and even freshly scrambled at the omelet station...

To make up for the nasty bacon I go to the omelet station and order an omelet and 3 eggs over easy at the same time. I ask the cook to not fold the omelet and leave it flat like a pancake, then ask him to place the 3 eggs over easy on top of the omelet. Many cruisers do not know that they can get their eggs done sunny side up ,over and even freshly scrambled at the omelet station...

Cruise last month, the guy in front of me ordered 4 eggs over easy. The only problem that I see with that is that now he has to deal with dried out cold toast. Oh wait, that subject needs a new threat all it's own.:D

Yep.....and they still dole it out a couple of pieces at a time.

Oh never mind I see you we're on the same cruise as me in October....:p. As you could tell the bacon police were out in force......lol

I saw a lot of cutbacks on that cruise. Too bad corporate is making these kind of decisions just trying to save a buck. We are going on the Facination in 3 weeks and will take one more before the end of the year to get Platinum but am going to go back to Royal for awhile. Yes it costs more but I'm of the opinion that I will get what I pay for.

How is the bacon on Royal?

Have cruised on the Jewel and Radiance of the Seas and bacon was excellent. They also served 4 different kinds of sausage everyday. Excellent breakfast on RCI, also NCL Pearl has soft and crispy bacon that is very good...

This has got to be the best thread EVER!!! Do people just sit around thinking about stupid things to write about ? The bacon on the ships Buffett is no different than any other Buffett I have been to, even the one I worked at long ago. Even tho I never liked it and would not eat, the reason things like bacon and even eggs were under cooked was because if they cooked them fully, they would sit under the heat lamp and then over cook and dry out. Slightly under cooking them prevented them from over cooking under the heat lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, a whole thred dedicated to bacon.

Be thankful for what you get, Cruise ship bacon is soooooo much better than "All-Inclusive resort" bacon.

There is nothing more important than bacon, and my ability to have as much as I want, preferably crispy. Just as I can't imagine anyone drinking more than fifteen drinks a day, some may be surprised to know that I am capable of eating fifteen pieces of bacon in a day without anyone being able to tell. :)

Just curious, is the purpose of the flat egg omelet to keep the over easy eggs warm a little longer? Or do you eat them all? If so, you must love eggs as much as I love crispy bacon! :)

Think it through.

It COULD be there is uneaten bacon because it is icky.

Archived