China Visa

dinosaurdem

China has just introduced a 72 hour visa free transit for air passengers. A Google search doesn't give any information about all cities to which it applies, and whether or not it applies to cruise passengers, and, if so, before, during, or at the end of a cruise. Has Princess provided any information, or do any of you know more?

China has just introduced a 72 hour visa free transit for air passengers. A Google search doesn't give any information about all cities to which it applies, and whether or not it applies to cruise passengers, and, if so, before, during, or at the end of a cruise. Has Princess provided any information, or do any of you know more?

From the 1st January 2013, passport holders of following 45 countries and regions will be granted a visa-free stay of up to 72 hours while in transit via Beijing Capital Airport (PEK) and Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG) & Hongqiao International Airport (SHA):

Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States.

Note: Shanghai joins Beijing in this new visa regulation. Please refer to 72-hour Visa-Free Transit (see below) for more details.

In order to facilitate the international visitors’ short stay for sightseeing in Beijing, the city now adopts a visa-free transit policy, which allows transit passengers with passport of the following 45 countries to stay in Beijing for 72 hours without visa on direct transit from January 1, 2013:

Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States.

Note: Confirmed flight ticket and valid visa to the third country are required on entry to Beijing Capital International Airport. According to presentations by the Exit and Entry Administration of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB), the 72 hours will be counted from the moment visitors get their transit permits, but not the time when they land at the airport. Visitors are required to register at a police station with their transit permits within 24 hours after entry.

Restrictions of the 72-hour Visa-free Transit:

1. This regulation does not apply to passengers who travel on a single return flight (e.g., Hong Kong – Beijing - Hong Kong), which means the destination and place of departure can not be the same. They need to apply for a transit visa before their departure.

2. The 72-hour visa-free stay only applies to transit via Capital International Airport. Passengers by train or any other vehicles should still apply for a transit visa in advance.

3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport.

4. If visitors are unable to depart on time due to unavoidable reasons, such as flight cancellation or treatment of sudden disease, they need to apply for a visa from Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB). Otherwise, tourists cannot apply for an extension of stay in Beijing.

Punishment on Violators:

Visitors from said countries should strictly follow the restrictions above. Violators of Chinese law, shall be warned, fined or detained for a few days depending on the circumstances. Cases of gross violation shall be expelled from China and prohibited re-entry.

Service Facilities:

Currently, the capital airport has already optimized the transit formalities with the Customs, the Entry-Exit Inspection & Quarantine Bureau and Frontier Inspection Station. There are service centers for transit passengers in the terminals, offering rest places with drinking water and reading materials if they do not want to leave the airport. For visa-free transit passengers, the airport also provides services for currency exchange, mobile phone rental, car rental, left luggage, as well as local souvenir shops. Tour buses are available from the terminals for the convenience of tourists.

From Jan. 1, 2013, passport holders of the 45 countries and regions mentioned above will also be granted a visa-free stay of up to 72 hours when taking an international transfer via Shanghai Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport.

Starting from January 1st, 2013, visitors from 45 countries with a connecting air ticket stopping over in Beijing (PEK) for up to 72 hrs. can leave the airport without having to apply for a visa.

It doesn't apply to cruise pax - unless you can fit a cruise (that does not leave Beijing) into a 72 (or fewer)-hour stopover.

2. The 72-hour visa-free stay only applies to transit via Capital International Airport. Passengers by train or any other vehicles should still apply for a transit visa in advance.

3. Visitors are not allowed to leave Beijing to other cities during the 72-hour visa-free period. They can only depart Beijing from Capital International Airport.

This is the key bit of information for cruise ship passengers. It only applies to those flying with a stopover in Beijing and Shanghai.

• 3 months later...

I was told by Celebrity Cruises that I needed to have a valid China Visa- single visit with my USA Passport in order to exit Shanghai International Airport and to board Celebrity Millennium cruise on April 25th, 2013?? Can somebody else booked for this departure verify this requirement?? :confused:Thank You!

I was told by Celebrity Cruises that I needed to have a valid China Visa- single visit with my USA Passport in order to exit Shanghai International Airport and to board Celebrity Millennium cruise on April 25th, 2013?? Can somebody else booked for this departure verify this requirement?? :confused:Thank You!

I am not on that cruise, but what Celebrity told you was correct.

The free visa that is the topic of this thread is for flying into and then out of the same airport, not for flyin in and then leaving from a different airport or on a cruise ship

I am not on that cruise, but what Celebrity told you was correct.

The free visa that is the topic of this thread is for flying into and then out of the same airport, not for flyin in and then leaving from a different airport or on a cruise ship

I agree.

The only way it would apply to a cruise passenger is, as an example, you are cruising from Tokyo but decide to spend a couple of days pre- or post-cruise in Beijing. So, you fly into Beijing, stay two days, and fly out to Tokyo. In other words, it's for "in transit" air passengers.

• 1 month later...
Arriving on RCL Mariner of the Seas on 18th June then flying out to Uk on 20th June. Am I correct in saying no visa required.

My understanding is you DO need a Visa!!! Best to get info from a Gov't source or Visa Service and not depend on CC info which may not apply to you.

This is only for "air transit passengers" arriving and leaving from the same airport. If you leave the airport "as in" walk out front door and need to board your ship, then you DO need a Visa. IMHO

Arriving on RCL Mariner of the Seas on 18th June then flying out to Uk on 20th June. Am I correct in saying no visa required.

Sounds to me like you do need a visa, and need to get it very soon.

Yiks!!!! I would be VERY concerned that you do not have enough time prior to boarding the ship to get your China Visa. Make a couple calls ASAP!!

You will need a visa for entry into China. I have done it a number of times. If you are anywhere near a Chinese consulate you should be able to go there and do it in person. They charge a few dollars more but you can get same day service.

I am close to NYC and go there in the morning, wander the city and pick up in the afternoon.

Good luck.

From his post cast187 is a UK citizen, so probably needs to get the visa in the UK, do Zierer operate there?
Many people now use Tapatalk on their smartphone or tablet. If so, you don't see the person's # of posts, where they're from or signatures. :)

Many people now use Tapatalk on their smartphone or tablet. If so, you don't see the person's # of posts, where they're from or signatures. :)

Do you see the heading?

I've never used Tapatalk so don't know.

Post number 9 on this thread where he asked about it was headed: "China visa Uk citizen ".

Do you see the heading?

I've never used Tapatalk so don't know.

Post number 9 on this thread where he asked about it was headed: "China visa Uk citizen ".

You see the thread heading, not individual post heading.

You will need a visa for entry into China. I have done it a number of times. If you are anywhere near a Chinese consulate you should be able to go there and do it in person. They charge a few dollars more but you can get same day service.

I am close to NYC and go there in the morning, wander the city and pick up in the afternoon.

Good luck.

Thanks all for your guidance. Have booked appointment on Tues with Consulate in Edinburgh so should have visa in time tk God.

Archived