Help! Car seats?

luckyprincess

Hi! So I'm going on a 10 day cruise soon and my sister and bil are bringing their 2 year old. Last night I was suggesting we find a good restaurant to go to in San Juan since we get in at 4pm and she asked if we can find something in walking distance. When I asked why she said they aren't bringing a car seat. My question is - will she be able to get far without one?? I can understand not bringing it or wanting to hook it up in every taxi but what are her options? In NYC when you ride a bus or train or ferry you don't have a car seat so I'm hoping she can grab a trolley, bus or water taxi. We are going to San Juan, Samana, St. Thomas and Labadee. The baby will stay on board in Labadee with his grandparents so we aren't too concerned with that one. Anyone know if we can get around without a car seat in a taxi in these ports? Thank you!!

As far as safe without a car seat, NO it is not safe. Now, do the ports have, use or even allow car seats in the taxis, vans, buses, etc? Most don't have seat bealts. The counties are not US controlled and are notrequired to make seat belts available. Some taxis, vans and buses squeeze 3 or 4 onto a seat. For the most part you will have to hold the child on your lap and I would suggest a fairly good easy to fold SMALL umbrella type stroller as you often will be placing it between your legs. We have traveled since 1st baby was 10 months and she is now 10 yrs (there are 6 in family group). You will hear others say you will do OK with your full sized stroller and to bring your car seat. BUT I am being very honest when I say, space is very often not available and 99.5% of the time there will be no seat belts in foreign countries. Just did a cruise over Christmas and a taxi (2 yr old car taxi) actually had the shoulder straps cut off. Someone in our group asked the driver about them and he said he could get more people into the car without them in the way. Just want you to be prepared for what you will see. The baby should get off at the private island, probably the safest port! You can walk on the sandy beach and have fun until they want to return to ship. Then, parents can return and enjoy some adult time. It is very nice there. I love San Juan and there are several nice places you can walk to. Ask the port shopper on ship where they would suggest. We will have our 2 yr old there in April and will walk to eat at the Hard Rock (using umbrella stroller). St Thomas we have taken everyone over to St John for a beach day with a 3yr old. I am not sure if I would with a 2 yr old. There are alot of places to shop within walking distance of the ship, again, I would use a stroller. Have fun and try not to stress. Just remember, you will not be in the US and you can't expect people to follow the US "rules".

Thanks! I should clarify that I'm asking more if there are alternatives where car seats are not normally used in the US. Like on buses, ferry and trains in the US we don't use car seats so at those ports would it be easy to find a trolley, water taxi or bus to a nice beach.

Sandy Toes thank you for the info! I'll let her know to bring an umbrella stroller for him. I think the restaurant we want to try in San Juan is in strolling distance so that works out well :)

Hi! So I'm going on a 10 day cruise soon and my sister and bil are bringing their 2 year old. Last night I was suggesting we find a good restaurant to go to in San Juan since we get in at 4pm and she asked if we can find something in walking distance. When I asked why she said they aren't bringing a car seat. My question is - will she be able to get far without one?? I can understand not bringing it or wanting to hook it up in every taxi but what are her options? In NYC when you ride a bus or train or ferry you don't have a car seat so I'm hoping she can grab a trolley, bus or water taxi. We are going to San Juan, Samana, St. Thomas and Labadee. The baby will stay on board in Labadee with his grandparents so we aren't too concerned with that one. Anyone know if we can get around without a car seat in a taxi in these ports? Thank you!!

None of the transportation options you mentioned have car seats in those locations. Do you know there is a KIDS Camp on the ships--? in SJU why not leave the baby with the sitters -- along with sitting service they will make sure at 6PM diner is served. They have an area roped off where they serve diner to the kids..

Where are U going in SJU? We're only there a short time?

BUT I am being very honest when I say, space is very often not available and 99.5% of the time there will be no seat belts in foreign countries. Just remember, you will not be in the US and you can't expect people to follow the US "rules".

This is absolute nonsense; did you just make up this "99.5%" rule?? I have traveled all over the world and never really had a problem finding a cab with seat belts. If you don't have one in the first cab, find another one. Safety is not a "US rule".

None of the transportation options you mentioned have car seats in those locations. Do you know there is a KIDS Camp on the ships--? in SJU why not leave the baby with the sitters -- along with sitting service they will make sure at 6PM diner is served. They have an area roped off where they serve diner to the kids..

I don't have small children to be personally concerned about but I recall a comment I read on one of these CC forums.

Parents left child in Kids club and went ashore. There were no other family members/friends sailing with them.

They had a VERY close call returning to the ship on time for some reason and they were in a frantic panic about child alone on the ship without them if they did not get back in time.

That convinced me it's a bad idea to leave a small child on the ship without a well known responsible adult present to look after their care if necessary. Despite the low odds of it, you never know what can befall any of us while off the ship.

JMO ...

Not all cruise lines have programs for 2 year olds. Some only start at age 3, so it might not be an option for the OP.

And I agree with sail7seas. I was on a cruise when two families traveling together left their kids on the ship, and didn't make it back to the ship before sailing. These poor kids (four of them, one being only 3) were left alone for two days until the parents could catch up with the ship. They had to be cared for by crew members and the parents were charged for babysitting time, and it wasn't cheap.

They won't leave their baby with anyone...

I guess my point is not whether or not car seats are safe. I don't want or have kids of my own so am assuming this is a hot button CC issue, lol and I wasn't looking to debate the safety of a car seat. But unless someone here travels by bus in NYC with a car seat (have never seen that or seat belts on the bus) or on a ferry with a car seat (never seen that either) or bring a car seat with them on a tram at the shore (don't think they have seat belts either but not sure) or on a NJ transit train (no seat belts again) I don't understand the issue of taking a trolley, bus or water taxi without a car seat on the cruise. If you wouldn't take a car seat on the ferry or city bus why would you lament not having them for a water taxi or island bus? I'm seriously curious to that, btw, not being sarcastic.

So I'm hoping that we can find transportation where you would have no expectation of using a car seat to get around to some beaches and whatnot at the ports we are going to.

BigFeet we are in San Juan from 4pm til midnight so I'm looking for a restaurant within walking distance to the port. Thanks for the responses everyone!

There are a number of good restaurants within easy walk of the downtown Old San Juan docks. We always have dinner ashore if we have a late sailaway from San Juan.

Visit the San Juan port of call forum of CC and do some reading. The question "what are some good restaurants in San Juan" has been asked so many times it won't take you long to find a great many threads on the subject.

We love San Jaun. Great port IMO

Using car seats in some ports can be difficult; I think everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.

My only comment is that they are planning to leave the 2-year-old on board during the stop at Labadee. To me, this would be the easiest and best day to take the child off the ship. No vehicles are needed, though there are trollies to ride, just a nice, safe beach day. There is lots of shade, a little water park that is perfect for a two-year old, nice sand and water and the kid's crew even has a little camp set up (not sure if they take 2's though).

San Juan will have lots of restaurants that are walkable if you are docked downtown. If not, a taxi will be needed.

St. Thomas is marginally walkable into town, depending on where you dock. We almost always walk in from there, but I don't think I'd want to pushing a stroller. You can get tours or taxis to beaches, but then you have the car seat problem again.

Using car seats in some ports can be difficult; I think everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.

My only comment is that they are planning to leave the 2-year-old on board during the stop at Labadee. To me, this would be the easiest and best day to take the child off the ship. No vehicles are needed, though there are trollies to ride, just a nice, safe beach day. There is lots of shade, a little water park that is perfect for a two-year old, nice sand and water and the kid's crew even has a little camp set up (not sure if they take 2's though).

San Juan will have lots of restaurants that are walkable if you are docked downtown. If not, a taxi will be needed.

St. Thomas is marginally walkable into town, depending on where you dock. We almost always walk in from there, but I don't think I'd want to pushing a stroller. You can get tours or taxis to beaches, but then you have the car seat problem again.

Thanks for the information!! I should have clarified that he is staying on the ship with his Grandparents because they wanted a day with him :) They may take him out on the beach if they feel like it but they will be structuring his day on the Labadee port day. We 'big kids' got an over the water cabana and will have a day to just lay around and have fun sans little kids. :D

Thanks for the information!! I should have clarified that he is staying on the ship with his Grandparents because they wanted a day with him :) They may take him out on the beach if they feel like it but they will be structuring his day on the Labadee port day. We 'big kids' got an over the water cabana and will have a day to just lay around and have fun sans little kids. :D

Ahh, that makes sense. You get a nice relaxing adult day and the grandparents get to enjoy the little guy on their own. It is an easy port to just walk off the ship and enjoy the island.

Don't worry. You made it perfectly clear in the first post that the baby would be staying on the ship with his grandparents. Your question also seems very clear to me, so I am not sure why some people seem to be giving you a hard time.

The answer is YES. You can expect the same attitude in cabs and water taxis, etc., in ports that you see in NYC. No one will blink an eye when you show up without a car seat to travel in the cabs and water taxis. I would caution, though, that the parent holding the little boy is likely going to have to be vigilant about hanging on to him. Traffic can be wild, and the cab and bus drivers in the ports will likely drive as or more erratically than the NY cabbies do. :rolleyes:

I do not blame your traveling companions for not wishing to leave their two year old with strangers. That is something I would never, ever have considered. Ever.

Have a wonderful time! I hope that you will come back after your cruise and post a review.

Sherry

Please note that San Juan Puerto Rico is not a third world country. While it does have its poor sections, San Juan is for all practical purposes a modern, well run city.

And having used taxis all over the world except in India, and Africa, I have never been in a taxi that did not have seat belts.

In closing I highly recommend the Double Tree hotel San Juan. A truly nice hotel and within walking distance is a restaurant called bebo's..a local family oriented place with excellent food at very reasonable prices.

Fred

I would caution, though, that the parent holding the little boy is likely going to have to be vigilant about hanging on to him. Traffic can be wild, and the cab and bus drivers in the ports will likely drive as or more erratically than the NY cabbies do. :rolleyes:

I do not blame your traveling companions for not wishing to leave their two year old with strangers. That is something I would never, ever have considered. Ever.

Yet, you would take your child in a car without a car seat, and even admit traffic is wild and drivers worse than in NYC. How will holding onto a child prevent an accident? You can actually crush your child by holding onto them on your lap, depending on where the impact is. Bad advice, sorry.

I guess my point is not whether or not car seats are safe. I don't want or have kids of my own so am assuming this is a hot button CC issue, lol and I wasn't looking to debate the safety of a car seat. But unless someone here travels by bus in NYC with a car seat (have never seen that or seat belts on the bus) or on a ferry with a car seat (never seen that either) or bring a car seat with them on a tram at the shore (don't think they have seat belts either but not sure) or on a NJ transit train (no seat belts again) I don't understand the issue of taking a trolley, bus or water taxi without a car seat on the cruise. If you wouldn't take a car seat on the ferry or city bus why would you lament not having them for a water taxi or island bus? I'm seriously curious to that, btw, not being sarcastic.

So I'm hoping that we can find transportation where you would have no expectation of using a car seat to get around to some beaches and whatnot at the ports we are going to.

BigFeet we are in San Juan from 4pm til midnight so I'm looking for a restaurant within walking distance to the port. Thanks for the responses everyone!

I volunteer as a Canadian car seat technician and have travelled with my two boys since they were 4&2 yrs respectively throughout the Caribbean with their car seats.

You are absolutely right when you say that if the mode of transportation has no seatbelts, you do not need to use a car seat. The vehicle has other ways of protecting the occupants, so a child restraint is not required. Now, there are exceptions to this, specifically there are risks associated with small children being hurt in a collision, but they are small. Walking, a bus (NOT what they call a bus in St. Thomas...that's a Ford truck with a bunch of benches on the back!), water taxi etc are all safe forms of transportation.

If the vehicle is designed to include seat belts to protect the occupants in a collision, then the child needs to be in a child restraint. It is physiologically impossible to hold a child in a collision, You Tube has some excellent crash test dummy videos demonstrating this phenomenon. Despite what people will claim in these forums, there are many of us who have travelled to these ports and found seatbelts where "none" were to be found by others. I have personally found seatbelts (and top tethers) in taxis in St. Thomas, unfortunately I have not been to your other ports. There are ways of transporting car seats onto a cruise that make it fairly easy, if you let us know how you are getting to port and what kind of seat they use we can give you some pointers.

If you ask this question in the family forum, you can get great information on either how to find seatbelts or alternatives that are near port or use child-friendly transportation.

You are absolutely right, this is a very hot topic on these boards :) People will say "I survived without car seats" or "lots of people don't use them" etc...but bottom line the laws of physics do not change when you leave the country, and you don't want to find out how the trauma centre of a foreign country works while on vacation just because using a car seat was "inconvenient".

Stay safe and enjoy the trip!

Thanks everyone! I was a bit confused that people seemed adamant that care seats should be used on water taxis and buses since you wouldn't do that in the US but like I said, I don't have kids :D I didn't realize that this was a hot button issue on here so sorry if I started any kind of tiff. I have to say I've never noticed anyone using a car seat in a taxi in NYC. I would certainly have remembered someone lugging one around on the street or coming out of Penn Station lol. I know my sister won't take a taxi without the car seat but she did say they won't be bringing one. We are boarding in New Jersey (where we live) so although it would be easy to bring it onboard I think they probably have 20 pounds of kid things to lug everywhere and that's why they aren't bringing it.

So there ya go. Our options have narrowed. They won't do a taxi without a car seat but they won't bring a car seat. So I guess I'm still trying to dig around and see if there is a beach within walking distance or water taxi distance in Samana, St. Thomas or San Juan? We have Labadee covered since he'll be with his grandparents but she just plans on doing beaches at the other ports and not excursions so I'm just trying to help her find out if she can get to a beach..

I just saw that you're going to St. Thomas and I have been there with my boys. There are no good options near port and transportation there is scary to say the least. I would suggest either walking around or staying on the ship. The downtown can be fairly close to the ship, but there are two different places you can dock (IIRC...) and one is rather far. I know our docking location got changed while we were on board, which doesn't help a lot with planning.

FWIW we took a taxi (and car seats...) to Coral World and Coki Beach and had a great time. This is a place I would strongly suggest you only use transportation with a proper child restraint, as you won't find a tourist bus that will protect any occupant IMNSHO.

Yet, you would take your child in a car without a car seat, and even admit traffic is wild and drivers worse than in NYC. How will holding onto a child prevent an accident? You can actually crush your child by holding onto them on your lap, depending on where the impact is. Bad advice, sorry.

She didn't ask for our advice about whether or not they should take the child without a car seat. She asked whether there would be an issue with getting transportation that would allow it.

You can keep your opinions about my parenting to yourself, as well. You seem to have a real issue with reading comprehension. I did not say "I have done this" - not that it is any of your business.

Archived