Taxi fare from cruise port to miami airport

homegirl04

Hi,

I am sailing on the Valor in a couple weeks from Miami. I was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark amount of how much a cab would be from the cruise port to the miami airport. I am trying to figure out if taking a cab would be cheaper then the $16 a person carnival charges to take the buses they provide. Thank you in advance.

mjhbrown is close. The fare for a taxi is a flat rate of $24.00 from the airport to the P.O.M., or vice-versa. The shuttle bus is $16.00 per person. Plus, a taxi is much quicker. The shuttle bus won't leave until it's full. This can make a big difference if you need to get the airport as soon as you clear customs to catch your flight.

• 2 weeks later...
mjhbrown is close. The fare for a taxi is a flat rate of $24.00 from the airport to the P.O.M., or vice-versa. The shuttle bus is $16.00 per person. Plus, a taxi is much quicker. The shuttle bus won't leave until it's full. This can make a big difference if you need to get the airport as soon as you clear customs to catch your flight.

I am not used to taking a taxi. If our taxi fare was indeed $24, and there were two of us with 2 suit cases and one small carry-on case, how much should we tip the driver and not feel that were cheaping out? :o

I am not used to taking a taxi. If our taxi fare was indeed $24, and there were two of us with 2 suit cases and one small carry-on case, how much should we tip the driver and not feel that were cheaping out? :o

$5 with 2 reasonably-sized suitcases.

what about with kids? both our kids are still in carseats!

how far is airport to cruise port?

Airport to cruiseport takes about 15 or so minutes. I would tip the driver a couple of extra bucks for the time spent installing and uninstalling your car seats. ;)

Good luck!

• 4 months later...
It is a set fare from the port to the airport (MIA). I just asked DH and he thought the set rate was around $25 when the 4 of us did this at the beginning of December.

Is the flat rate per person? There are 2 of us plus minimal luggage. Would our cost be $50 or is it $25 for the taxi period?

• 2 weeks later...

Taxi rates shown here $24 flat rate, $1 additional fuel surcharge

http://www.miami-airport.com/hotel_shuttles.asp

However, when will arrive on November 16, 2013 on Celebrity Reflection (3030 passengers) there will be 4 other ships in port

Crystal Symphony (1010), Carnival Liberty (3710) Carnival Victory (3473) Norweigen Epic (4200).

This is likely to result in huge lines for taxis to the airpot. I recall a one hour wait in line for a taxi when Norwegian Dawn arrived in Boston in May.

In such cases would it not be better to opt for the cruiseline shuttle ?

However, when will arrive on November 16, 2013 on Celebrity Reflection (3030 passengers) there will be 4 other ships in port

Crystal Symphony (1010), Carnival Liberty (3710) Carnival Victory (3473) Norweigen Epic (4200).

This is likely to result in huge lines for taxis to the airpot. I recall a one hour wait in line for a taxi when Norwegian Dawn arrived in Boston in May.

Never seen a taxi line that long at MIA or POM -- I would take a cab. :cool:

Comparing Boston to Miami cruise port wise is not a good comparison. Taxi's at the Port of Miami are plentiful even with multiple ships in port. I arrived at POM from a cruise and there were 4 other ships in and I waited about 5 minutes for a taxi.

Comparing Boston to Miami cruise port wise is not a good comparison. Taxi's at the Port of Miami are plentiful even with multiple ships in port. I arrived at POM from a cruise and there were 4 other ships in and I waited about 5 minutes for a taxi.

Thank you all the valuable information.

• 1 month later...

do taxi drivers at port of miami take credit cards. Is it better to walk off ship before 9am to make sure we do not have to wait too long. We are not flying but picking up rental car at airport which is much cheaper than renting at the port. We will be on the reflection arriving nov 16

thanks for any help

do taxi drivers at port of miami take credit cards. Is it better to walk off ship before 9am to make sure we do not have to wait too long. We are not flying but picking up rental car at airport which is much cheaper than renting at the port. We will be on the reflection arriving nov 16

thanks for any help

They do take credit cards. ;) There will be lots of cabs waiting no matter when you get off the ship. You can cab to MIA for $24+tip (flat rate fare for the cab - ignore the meter) or you can ride the shuttle to MIA for free if you are renting from Alamo, National or Thrifty (but a cab might be faster! :o).

Good luck! :)

• 6 months later...
what about with kids? both our kids are still in carseats!

how far is airport to cruise port?

It's 8 miles away whether you are going by yourself or with your 2 children on their car seats. The distance is a constant regardless of who's going. LOL!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 months later...
They do take credit cards. ;) There will be lots of cabs waiting no matter when you get off the ship. You can cab to MIA for $24+tip (flat rate fare for the cab - ignore the meter) or you can ride the shuttle to MIA for free if you are renting from Alamo, National or Thrifty (but a cab might be faster! :o).

First off -- love that sig line!

I've been searching through the forums, looking for information, but there is just so much you get dizzy at times. This one seems to have answered a few of my questions, but let me throw out another one or two as I'm doing my research (I'm one of those types that likes to plan ahead when it comes to traveling). And here's hoping the information I provide will be helpful in your answers.

My family (2 sisters, brother-in-law, preteen niece, teen nephew) and I will be coming in a day early to stay at the Residence Inn Miami Airport, which is part of the Marriott complex (there's also a Marriott and a Courtyard there), then we'll be leaving the next day on the Norwegian Epic. I spoke to a very helpful clerk at the Residence Inn; they have a shuttle service which transports customers to POM 3 times on departure day, starting at 11:15 AM, but he also suggested that a taxi might be more economical, and of course you can make your own schedule too. So we're comparing $15 per person ($90 plus tips) to maybe $25 per taxi (plus tips), so I'm leaning towards a taxi -- if they'd accommodate 3 passengers each. (I know some drivers don't like having people up front with them; would three need to squeeze in the back? LOL).

Which then boils down to my next question: I know you all mentioned a flat rate from POM to the airport? Would there be a flat rate from POM back to the Residence Inn when we return (we're doing the post-cruise overnighter), or would the meter figure in at that point? If a flat rate, should I make sure this is agreed upon prior to departure or is this something already "set in stone"?

And finally :D do you taxi users have any additional insight on using taxis for transport, especially to make sure you're not being scammed? The last time I was in Miami for a cruise, I used the line's shuttle, so these are things I'm considering for the first time. Thanks for the help!

First off -- love that sig line! Stole it from my dad, who I am sure stole it from someone else. ;)

Which then boils down to my next question: I know you all mentioned a flat rate from POM to the airport? Would there be a flat rate from POM back to the Residence Inn when we return (we're doing the post-cruise overnighter), or would the meter figure in at that point? If a flat rate, should I make sure this is agreed upon prior to departure or is this something already "set in stone"? The only flat rate is between the MIA airport and POM -- anywhere else and you are on the meter, but a cab from airport area hotels to POM should be about $25-26+tip per cab. You can ask for mini-van and SUV cabs if you need the space; just let the front desk know what you want and when and they will arrange it.

And finally :D do you taxi users have any additional insight on using taxis for transport, especially to make sure you're not being scammed? The last time I was in Miami for a cruise, I used the line's shuttle, so these are things I'm considering for the first time. Thanks for the help!

Every time I get into a cab I take a photo of the cab ID number, and make sure the driver sees me doing it; I explain that in case I lose/forget something in the cab I can track the cab by the number - having a date/time stamped photo discourages any attempt at cheating. I also bring lots of small bills - cab drivers all over the world (not just Miami - but especially in Philly :mad:) seem to never have any change when you try to pay a $25 fare with 2 $20's.

If you are ever in Australia the cab drivers are insulted if a solo passenger does not want to ride up front :o; if you need the front seat to fit everyone and bags into the cab you can use it.

This is likely to result in huge lines for taxis to the airpot.

We have NEVER experienced such a wait at FTL or Miami ports.

In my opinion, a cruiseline shuttle, for such an easy to reach airport/port is crazy. Unless one is traveling alone, the cost is always greater.

And....Talk about waiting....the coach buses will not leave until it is full and all bags loaded. There are MANY folks who just mosey along, taking their time, making the bus sit. It's a hurry up and WAIT deal on those buses. Now too, remember that everyone isn't leaving from the same airline. So you sit and wait while each group leaves the bus and then unloads their bags. Then on to the next door. :rolleyes:

If one is traveling from an airport like Heathrow and going straight to the port, knowing it's an hour or more to the ports, that might be a reason to use the ship transfers. It takes no thinking or planning for sure.

Every time I get into a cab I take a photo of the cab ID number, and make sure the driver sees me doing it; I explain that in case I lose/forget something in the cab I can track the cab by the number - having a date/time stamped photo discourages any attempt at cheating. I also bring lots of small bills - cab drivers all over the world (not just Miami - but especially in Philly :mad:) seem to never have any change when you try to pay a $25 fare with 2 $20's.

If you are ever in Australia the cab drivers are insulted if a solo passenger does not want to ride up front :o; if you need the front seat to fit everyone and bags into the cab you can use it.

I'd never thought about taking a photo of the cab ID number. I've written them down before and noted the time, but that's a fantastic idea, especially since I'll have both my IPhone and my camera at hand. And you're right about them never having change. I always make it a point to carry small bills at the start of any trip (to tip porters, skycaps, shuttle drivers, etc.), and also try to have $5's, $10's and $20's if I think I'm going to use a cab so I can pay for the fare and still add something for a tip. I think that's almost anywhere, them not having change (although the London cabbies I've used seemed to have change, but maybe I was lucky).

Love that about Australian cabbies! Gotta love 'em! :):)

I still have some time as far as making arrangements for our return to the hotel, so I'll continue to do research. If a taxi, even on a meter, is still running around $25 to even $30 per cab plus tips, that's still not a bad deal.

Thanks for the info! :)

Good info in this thread.

Are there lots of van taxis, or are they mostly cars?

Do they cost the same flat rate, or are they more?

Another question. There'll be 4 of us. With our luggage, we might need a van.

Thanks.

Good info in this thread. that is what we are here for! :)

Are there lots of van taxis, or are they mostly cars? Mostly sedans but a good % of vans and SUVs

Do they cost the same flat rate, or are they more? Same fare

Another question. There'll be 4 of us. With our luggage, we might need a van.

Thanks.

If any of your 4 pack like my wife, you'll need a van/suv cab. Good luck!