Drivers license

Mhurst

My wife's driver license expires on her birthday the 14th (Tennessee) now we leave the 13th and Tess we do have passports should she not be able to get them renewed would there be a problem?

The passport is sufficient for boarding and I would recommend taking it ashore to use to get back to the ship just to avoid any questions about the DL (although I doubt they look at the date).

My wife's driver license expires on her birthday the 14th (Tennessee) now we leave the 13th and Tess we do have passports should she not be able to get them renewed would there be a problem?

why do you think she needs a license at all if she has a passport?

The passport will be fine by itself but if I were your wife I would go ahead to renew the license...it might be waiting for you all when you return (assuming we're talking about the 13th of January). You really don't want to be pulled over by a cop with an expired license. Huge hassle!:eek:

I'm just curious why you wouldn't renew your license before sailing? Here, we can renew up to 3 months before expiration, but after expiration there's a hefty fine.

My wife forgot about her license :) and she works banking hours so its hard to make it to the DMV here

The passport is sufficient for boarding and I would recommend taking it ashore to use to get back to the ship just to avoid any questions about the DL (although I doubt they look at the date).

Thank you :)

My wife forgot about her license :) and she works banking hours so its hard to make it to the DMV here

I agree with the others - best to use passports if you have those. Regarding "going to the DMV to renew a DL", not sure what state you are in, but here in California one can do the first DL renewal online (providing there are no problems). Might be worthwhile checking your local DMV website. Good luck

Passport is fine by itself as others say. How did she renew DL before and do other stuff she has to that have the same hours as her, can she not take personal time and pay back somehow. I would definitely renew DL before you leave and it will be there when you get back. We also have penalties if not renewed before it expires

if you did not have the passport the license will be invalid document since it is expired.

do not try to use the license on the cruise-- or after the cruise.

or use it at the ports to gain entrance back on the ship.

she will need a valid document- which is the passport

if you did not have the passport the license will be invalid document since it is expired.

I agree with the others - best to use passports if you have those. Regarding "going to the DMV to renew a DL", not sure what state you are in, but here in California one can do the first DL renewal online (providing there are no problems). Might be worthwhile checking your local DMV website. Good luck

I don't know about other states. But last year they started a new renewal process in GA. You have to come in with Passport, utility bill in your name with correct current address, Certified birth certificate, and marriage license if you are married woman who changed your name at any time.

Yes, this is to RENEW a Driver's License. It's a crock of crap and wondered if GA is just cracking down or if it's the whole country. No more renewing online for us! Let's just say the wait times at the DMV are some days 6+ hours!

I don't know about other states. But last year they started a new renewal process in GA. You have to come in with Passport, utility bill in your name with correct current address, Certified birth certificate, and marriage license if you are married woman who changed your name at any time.

Yes, this is to RENEW a Driver's License. It's a crock of crap and wondered if GA is just cracking down or if it's the whole country. No more renewing online for us! Let's just say the wait times at the DMV are some days 6+ hours!

I live in Georgia too and I agree with you 100%. This has got to be the dumbest thing they have ever come up with. Sure I understand about needing documentation regarding ID, but to have to bring multiple, multiple items is just stupid.

When they first implemented this people were having to stand in line all day only to find out they either didn't have everything they needed or that they had to close the office because they couldn't handle anymore. Some had to go back 2 or 3 times and spend all day in order to renew.

So all you fellow Georgians out there......go online and be darn sure you have everything you need or you will be out of luck!!!

Did you not think to check to see if your state does on-line renewals? Many states do. A quick google of license renewal in Tennessee turns up that they in fact do renew online. Here the web link:

https://apps.tn.gov/tndlr/

Bring your DL ashore for ID will be MUCH easier than lugging a passport ashore! Yes...get it renewed the month prior to the expiration! I don't know about your state, but in Va, if you let it expire, you have to jump through hoops to prove your identity again! What a pain!

Glad someone other than me brought this up - DO NOT EXPECT TO USE AN EXPIRED DL FOR ID - THEY WILL AND DO PICK UP ON THIS - THEY ARE NOT STUPID. If your wife doesn't renew DL then she has to take her passport with her for ID when debarking and embarking the ship at every port. I only and always take my passport as ID that is what I paid the big bucks for.

Archived