Monte Carlo - Add 2nd nite Pre-hotel Cost?

FPJC03

We are sailing on 10/24 cruise from Monte Carlo to Venice and were thinking of adding a 2nd nite stay to unwind before the trip. Does anyone know how much more it would be for an additional night in Monte Carlo? We are in a G category. Considered doing one night POST cruise in Venice but have to be back in USA quickly.

I would deviate your arrival, stay in Nice for the 2 nights and take the hotel credit. Nice is lovely and more affordable than Monte Carlo. From Nice you can go to the hill towns for a day, walk along the Nice Flower Market in the mornings and you can go sightseeing in Monte Carlo.

Chatkat - thanks for the recommendation. Didn't think of that. Saw that you were on Mariner from Barcelona to Venice end of October. How was the weather during the trip? We are going week before and was hoping for mild weather, not hot but comfortable. Did land tour of Italy few yrs ago in early April and it was wonderful. What was your impression of Mariner? This will be out first time on Regent too.

We stayed at La Perouse and loved it.

We also stayed at Hotel Hermitage in Monte Carlo on our first trip there. They wanted $100 to get us to the ship. Continental Breakfast by room service was $75 for two. Lovely experience for a one time experience but I could have stayed two nights at La Perouse for the same spend.

Island Cruiser - that is one cruise we will always remember fondly as one of our very favorites.

As far as weather, we had good weather - two days of light rain and comfortable temperatures. A bit gray and overcast but quite comfortable if you dress in layers. We had postcard weather in Venice. I would not miss staying overnight in Venice.

And the Mariner is my favorite ship.

Yes it was definitely one of our favorites too, Kathy!

We stayed in Nice as well, did a deviation and our own transportation--worked out very nicely.

In general I stay away from the hotel packages--they are exorbitant, and I'd rather chose where I'm going to stay.

I'll join the chorus here for Nice pre-cruise as well. Have done a land trip here in the past, and several pre-cruise stays as well, spending time visiting the hill towns and museums close by, as well as enjoying the flower market on weekdays in Nice. La Perouse is a wonderful hotel, but this past November, we opted for the hotel next door at a more moderate price with exactly the same views. This time, we took a public bus to St. Paul de Vence, but if you wish a more guided experience, recommend Alain at http://www.dream-tours.com Alain can also meet you at the airport, and provide a transfer to the ship in Monte Carlo, and more guiding in Monte Carlo. Many cc members have used his services in the past.

www.dream-tours.com[/url] Alain can also meet you at the airport, and provide a transfer to the ship in Monte Carlo, and more guiding in Monte Carlo. Many cc members have used his services in the past.

I have used him also for airport transfers, ship transfers and a tour my friends put together.

So if I book in Nice, how much hotel credit/nite do we get and what do the rates average in Nice? That sounds like a wonderful option. How did everyone do with air deviations from USA? We are leaving from Cleveland, OH and most of the flights change in NYC or DC and then either Frankfort or Geneva. The layovers are all over, from 55 minutes to 5 hours in Europe from US. How long should I figure to get thru customs on the way over to Europe? THANKS for everyone's input.

Agree with everyone else about staying in Nice. Lots of nice expensive hotels (though less than Monte Carlo) as well as more moderate. We have done this 3 times. Stayed at Holiday Inn twice which was perfectly fine and near my absolute favorite restaurant in the world, Luc Salcedo. Stayed at Le Meridian once, also fine and on the promenade anglais.

Agree also about using Alain at Dream Tours for transfers/tour on the way to Monte Carlo.

As far as air, we do our own, so can't comment there.

So Rachel, what did it cost for RT air to NICE? Saw that you are from OK, we are from OH. Did you get better connections and shorter layovers than Regent? I want to do my own air but wondered what transfers cost from Nice to Monte Carlo and average hotel cost in Nice. Think if we break even it will be worth it. Anyone know what the standard hotel Regent gives you in Monte Carlo?

We use FF miles to fly in first or business class when going to Europe. So the air credit is usually about $1000. Definitely in our favor. And Regent air would be coach unless you pay for the upgrade or are in a butler suite.

If you shop around, you should be able to find a coach fare for under $1000. Business class obviously more--usually about $5000, but sometimes I have seen special deals for around $2000-3000. Personally would not fly that far in coach. Did in my youth, don't want to do it now.

The current standard hotel in Monte Carlo is the Columbus, which is not walking distance to the main part of town, or at least we don't think so. We took the hotel credit and booked our own hotel this last Nov at the Le Meredian. got a Sr citizen rate of 99euros a night and much better location than Columbus.

We use Revelation tours, www.revelation-tours.com for transfers and then cab from hotel to ship, but fair warning for whatever reason it was near impossible to get a cab the day of boarding, so I would pre book a cab with the concierge next time. We did our own air, but have used Regent air in the past and it has been fine. We have upgraded to biz class and usually had good flights.

I also agree with several above, take the hotel credit, do your own hotel in Nice, go a couple of days early, spend one just enjoying the town of Nice, maybe book a tour for the second day that will take you around to several little towns and such and then have the same company transfer yoiu to the ship day of embarkation. A cab from Nice airport to your hotel should be reasonable and easy.

Enjoy your cruise, love sailing into or out of Monte Carlo, its so beautiful.

Thanks for the recommendation for private transfer. Was looking at tripadvisor.com and Palais de Mediteranee looks beautiful, as does La Perouse in NICE. Saw that airport is pretty close to center of Nice, so I assume taxi cost is reasonable. And is it better to buy the transfers from Regent or use Dream Tours or Revelations Tours to get to ship?

Thanks for the recommendation for private transfer. Was looking at tripadvisor.com and Palais de Mediteranee looks beautiful, as does La Perouse in NICE. Saw that airport is pretty close to center of Nice, so I assume taxi cost is reasonable. And is it better to buy the transfers from Regent or use Dream Tours or Revelations Tours to get to ship?

Frank,

A Regent transfer from the airport to the ship would cost $238 for two. You'll pay much less for a private transfer. Hope this helps.

Taxis are plentiful in Nice, and it doesn't cost much to get from airport to hotel.

Definitely don't take Regent's transfer if you are paying for it. It will cost and arm and a leg. Dream Tours is going to be 1/2 as much. A taxi also is possible, but we had Alain give us a tour (Eze) in the morning on the way to the ship. Even with the tour, it was way less than what Regent was quoting.

Archived