Lost/Late Luggage

tfox1018

We have a short connection in Newark- 35 minutes- on our way to Fort Lauderdale. Someone asked me today if I was concerned our luggage would make the connection. I actually never thought of that. What happens if our luggage does not make it to Fort Lauderdale before the ship leaves? Has this happened to anyone?

You will file a missing luggage with the report and give a copy to the front desk on the ship. The airline will TRY to find the luggage and get it to the ship at one of the stops. If you have travel insurance it will re-imburse you for some or all of the expenses to buy things you need.

35 minutes doesn't seem like a legal connection to me. Having said that, I'm hoping you're flying down the day prior to your cruise embarkation. In any case, your luggage would be put on the next flight to FLL if it misses your connection.

If your luggage doesn't show up, proceed to the luggage services office in the baggage claim area. They should be able to tell you where your luggage is and when you can expect it.

You might want to contact your airline to see whether they'll reschedule your connecting flight so you'll have a more reasonable connection time. If you made the reservation online, flights with such a close connection shouldn't have been allowed so they may reschedule you at no cost. If you used a TA, I'd get on their case and have them reschedule at no cost to you.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

35 mins in Newark??? I'd be concerned YOU make the flight, not just your luggage.

Do bear in mind it is the airline's responsibility to synch up your luggage and some lines are better about that than others in terms of the effort expended.

I really really hope you are flying in day before.

We have a short connection in Newark- 35 minutes- on our way to Fort Lauderdale. Someone asked me today if I was concerned our luggage would make the connection. I actually never thought of that. What happens if our luggage does not make it to Fort Lauderdale before the ship leaves? Has this happened to anyone?

If you are this tight pack your carryons with great care. Also consider cross packing - some of each in both suitcases instead of all one person per case. In care one suitcase makes it, and not the other....

If you are this tight pack your carryons with great care. Also consider cross packing - some of each in both suitcases instead of all one person per case. In care one suitcase makes it, and not the other....

I do this everytime we travel now. Never did before but once one of my bags went missing and I had no clothes to wear. Now both suitcases are a mix of his/his and hers...

35 minutes doesn't seem like a legal connection to me. Having said that, I'm hoping you're flying down the day prior to your cruise embarkation. In any case, your luggage would be put on the next flight to FLL if it misses your connection.

If your luggage doesn't show up, proceed to the luggage services office in the baggage claim area. They should be able to tell you where your luggage is and when you can expect it.

You might want to contact your airline to see whether they'll reschedule your connecting flight so you'll have a more reasonable connection time. If you made the reservation online, flights with such a close connection shouldn't have been allowed so they may reschedule you at no cost. If you used a TA, I'd get on their case and have them reschedule at no cost to you.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

On US Airways 30 minutes is the minimum connection time allowed for domestic flights.

Vinnie

This happened to us when we were cruising with Princess in Australia. We were to board the ship in Auckland, NZ and we got there but our luggage ended up in India. We had three bags and eventually got them 1 bag each through the first three ports and that included a sea day. As someone else has mentioned, file an immediate report with the airline and make sure your cruise tag is on the bag. You may want to fold up an extra inside as well for identification if the outside tag falls off. Once you get on ship, let them know right away. In our case, they gave a small OBC to buy some necessities on board. It didn't go far but was a nice touch from Princess and they offered us a free tux rental for formal night if the luggage didn't arrive. Another good suggestion that I agree with is cross packing. That way if one bag is lost, you both at least have something for a while. The bags will most likely eventually catch up with you at a port somewhere along your itinerary. Plan for the worst and your bags will probably show up just fine. Dave

35 mins in Newark??? I'd be concerned YOU make the flight, not just your luggage.

Do bear in mind it is the airline's responsibility to synch up your luggage and some lines are better about that than others in terms of the effort expended.

I really really hope you are flying in day before.

Absolutely correct!!! If your first flight is only a few minutes late by the time it taxis and you are finally off the plane you have already cut valuable minutes out of your 35. Then if the gates are not close to each other-well in Newark there is simply no way to get from point a to point b quickly. I don't know who booked these flights for you but I would suggest it is their last!!

On US Airways 30 minutes is the minimum connection time allowed for domestic flights.

Vinnie

Good luck with that:( We've gotten so that anything less than 90 minutes is marginal. We'd frankly prefer to wait an extra hour or two for a connection, rather than make a mad dash from one end of the airport to the other and worry if our bags made it, too.

Could be, but I certainly wouldn't chance it.

It appears the OP is sailing on the CB January 26th, the same day I'm sailing on the EP. We're flying down on January 23rd, BTV → JFK → FLL. I could have gotten a 1 hour connection at JFK, but I took the 2½ hours connection just to be safe. Anything can happen at that time of year.

Hopefully the OP will arrive with all the luggage and enjoy a fantastic cruise.

Lew

We were on the Scandinavia/Russia cruise in June with an additional 4 days visiting relatives in Norway. Our luggage made it as far as Boston an never did get sent to us. If your luggage doesn't show up make sure you file a claim at the airport and go directly to the desk on the ship. The gave us each a toiletry kit and an OBC to purchase necessities as well as formal wear. Make sure to check back with them regularly (even if they leave you a voice message) Later on in the cruise they gave us additional OBC. We had travel insurance (not through Princess) Make sure you save ALL receipts etc. It will take persistence and time to collect. Sure does save on laundry when you get home!

My Dad spent 7 days of a 14 day cruise without his luggage--and he did fly in a day early. Fortunately, he put an additional shirt and change of unmentionables in his carry on. Went shopping at about day 3.

Delta changed our flight down to a 27 minute layover in Atlanta. They did Change our flight at no charge. 30 minutes is the minimum. We were lucky enough to get a non stop,so very happy. The only time we lost any luggage was on the way home. It ended up in Chicago. Delivered the next day. I always put what I can't live without in my carry on. Swimsuit and a change of clothes. Have been pretty lucky so far.

Put visible identifying marks or tags on your bag in addition to your cruise tags. I use a "retriever" tag from Magellans; I put a detailed copy of my itinerary in the tag. Anything you can do to make it easy to identify your bags. Take a photo of them before leaving home to make it easier to describe them. Also, cross pack between the bags in case one makes it and the other doesn't. Don't pack anything valuable or necessary in the bag, such as cameras, medicines, etc.

Arrive early to check in for your initial flight. Beyond that, there's little you can do other than relax and hope everything arrives on time.

Thank you all for the great advice. Unfortunately I did not know about this site or much about cruising when I booked my flight. I have tried multiple times to change flights and the airlines will not let me unless I pay twice as much as I initially paid for ticket. Trust me- lesson learned. That being said I just wanted some advice on how to be prepared if something did happen. I appreciate all the great tips and advice!

Take the advice on cross packing and putting some clothing into your carry on. I broke my own rule last year and my luggage was "misplaced." In other words we were on the east coast and our luggage was somewhere on the west coast. Anyway we were not on a cruise so I did not pack any clothes in my carry on figuring I could always go shopping. Well everything went wrong and to say I was uncomfortable and irritated was putting it mildly. Now I will always have a change of clothes with me.

Archived