Caribbean Princess Late Again to Curacao?

blueboro

We are on the 1/19 sailing of CB and in looking at the bridgecam now, they are just arriving in Curacao...1.5 to 2 hours late. This seems to be a recurring issue. Hopefully it is not propulsion problems again.

That's disappointing, we're sailing this week and this appears to be a common problem.

Don't always trust that bridge cam that it is right. Last week I watched the CB sail away from Ft Lauderdale on the porteverglades web cam and a hour later when I pulled up the CB bridge cam it was still showing it alongside the dock at Port Everglades.

Don't always trust that bridge cam that it is right. Last week I watched the CB sail away from Ft Lauderdale on the porteverglades web cam and a hour later when I pulled up the CB bridge cam it was still showing it alongside the dock at Port Everglades.

Hope you are right. If you get there at 3:00 or 4:00 what's the point of even stopping?

I just checked and she's in Willemstad. There are many reasons why a ship might arrive late in port besides propulsion, including weather, seas, currents, etc. We docked in Lima hours late due to fog. I've been on ships that arrived hours late at disembarkation ports due to seas and currents.

If a ship arrives late or doesn't appear to be on schedule, I don't automatically assume it's a propulsion or operational problem or start rumors that it could be.

I am currently on the Caribbean Princess. We arrived in Curaco at 4 instead of 1pm. We were delayed by heavy seas slowing down our progress. To make it from Princess Cay the ship needs to go near full speed but we had rough seas starting yesterday afternooon and continuing most of the day. Overnight the waves were around 3.5 meters.

All tours except 2 were cancelled and to avoid a couple thousand people crwoding the disembarkation area at 4 they set up a tender ticket type process. It took about 35 minutes to get through the main rush getting off. We stayed on the ship and had the anytime dinning around 6 - the dinning room was near empty.

Other than the wind and rough seas the weather has been great.

On our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess, we arrived at the scheduled time in every port. But as Pam correctly stated, there are many causes that might delay a ship.

But unfortunately the CB has some history with propulsion issues both in the past and on recent cruises. So I just assumed that. Glad to hear it was weather but IMO getting there that late makes the stop worthless by the time you debark (unless of course you are looking for island nightlife).

But unfortunately the CB has some history with propulsion issues both in the past and on recent cruises. So I just assumed that. Glad to hear it was weather but IMO getting there that late makes the stop worthless by the time you debark (unless of course you are looking for island nightlife).

It has been an on-going problem as you read in my review 8-15 Dec, and our bar waitress told us it happened on the two cruises prior to ours. Although it wasn't a big deal for us being an hour + late, arriving at 4:00 pm would limit the things you see during the winter months with an early sunset.

I'd be tempted to sneak into the Infinity Pool at the Renaissance Hotel for an evening of anonymous swimming if we got in to port that late. :cool:

I am currently on the Caribbean Princess. We arrived in Curaco at 4 instead of 1pm. We were delayed by heavy seas slowing down our progress. To make it from Princess Cay the ship needs to go near full speed but we had rough seas starting yesterday afternooon and continuing most of the day. Overnight the waves were around 3.5 meters.

All tours except 2 were cancelled and to avoid a couple thousand people crwoding the disembarkation area at 4 they set up a tender ticket type process. It took about 35 minutes to get through the main rush getting off. We stayed on the ship and had the anytime dinning around 6 - the dinning room was near empty.

Other than the wind and rough seas the weather has been great.

Thanks for that, I saw on the weather channel that there was a high wind alert for the region, that would make sense.

Wow, we arrived super early to Curacao on the new years cruise...skipped PC due to rough seas, and arrived at 8am to Curacao...can't say it was of any use as the entire island was basically shut down for the holiday, but it was nice to not have to rush at all!

Xmas week we got to Curacao on time, but since it was Xmas day very few shops were open - even the cafes along the water by the floating bridge were closed, we got to Aruba on time the next day but ... it was "Boxing Day" and most stores were closed also. We were at PC as scheduled, but stayed on board and made it a sea day.

I just checked and she's in Willemstad. There are many reasons why a ship might arrive late in port besides propulsion, including weather, seas, currents, etc. We docked in Lima hours late due to fog. I've been on ships that arrived hours late at disembarkation ports due to seas and currents.

If a ship arrives late or doesn't appear to be on schedule, I don't automatically assume it's a propulsion or operational problem or start rumors that it could be.

Yes, sometimes a late arrival is due to weather or other factors. However, in this case with the Caribbean, this is an ongoing issue and has been since last spring when she was laid up in San Juan. Princess needs to do something with this ship, especially since it's consistently arriving late.

I understand issues come up that make a ship late for a port, but that is the reason I'm not as excited about Princess' Caribbean itineraries. Now the 3 islands is reduced to almost becuase if you get to the island at 4 you aren't getting to the beach for very long. I hope Princess will rethink itineraries for the next released Caribeean schedule.

Xmas week we got to Curacao on time, but since it was Xmas day very few shops were open - even the cafes along the water by the floating bridge were closed, we got to Aruba on time the next day but ... it was "Boxing Day" and most stores were closed also. We were at PC as scheduled, but stayed on board and made it a sea day.

Actually I liked the store-closed Curacao this time. As most of the stores were closed, the streets were very quiet. It's colorful and peaceful. It's just a different experience.

I did not even know the stores were closed in Aruba.

An update from the north bound Caribbean Princess -

Not to long after leaving Aruba the winds picked up again. Overnight the winds were over 40 knots with gust to 55 knots. Seas were over 12 feet. The difference this time is the wind and waves are going almost the same direction as the ship so the impact is now where near as severe and we are not losing time. The winds slowly dropped during the day but are expected to increase again overnight. Other than the wind, the temps have been around 80 and mostly sunny.

The captain in his update reported that in talks with his friend that is an Aruba port pilot that the weather is very unusal for this time of year.

I was watching the bridgecam on CB. Appeared to be at least an hour or more late docking.

I would not trust that the bridge cam is right I have seen on there bridge cam that they were still in port at port everglades and I watched them sail out over a hour before hand.

I would not trust that the bridge cam is right I have seen on there bridge cam that they were still in port at port everglades and I watched them sail out over a hour before hand.

I would trust it if the time is being updated properly and the view is appropriate. The description of location is not always updated promptly.

But it has been real time the past few times into Curacao when they have arrived late...as has been confirmed by those onboard. Just seems to be an ongoing issue with the CB arriving late to this port. Not good planning if they have to go full speed and any wind or high seas make it impossible to keep their schedule.

Not good planning if they have to go full speed and any wind or high seas make it impossible to keep their schedule.

It takes x amount of time to go from Princess Cays to here, so the only way to have "good planning" is to spend less time at Princess Cays.

Archived