on the Grand in October and getting worried

sonnenschein

Our October cruise to Hawaii will be the 26th Princess cruise. We are familiar with most Princess ships,but are getting worried about the Grand. We were on her for an Atlantic crossing when she was brand new and had a great time, but that was many years and passengers and heavy use ago.Now reading a lot of mixed member reviews I am wondering if i should cancel the trip. Many reviews are very critical of the food quality and the worn out cabins.:mad:We are booked in a mini suite and leaving from San Francisco makes the price higher then from other CA. ports.We have cruised to Hawaii on the Golden and the Star and liked the Golden the most. But since we live in Northern Ca leaving from S.F. is very convenient for us.I would love to hear from my fellow cruisers if they have been on the Grand within the last year,I know she had a big dry dock, maybe she also needs a new chef.I thank you for your answers in and input Gloria

Our October cruise to Hawaii will be the 26th Princess cruise. We are familiar with most Princess ships,but are getting worried about the Grand. We were on her for an Atlantic crossing when she was brand new and had a great time, but that was many years and passengers and heavy use ago.Now reading a lot of mixed member reviews I am wondering if i should cancel the trip. Many reviews are very critical of the food quality and the worn out cabins.:mad:We are booked in a mini suite and leaving from San Francisco makes the price higher then from other CA. ports.We have cruised to Hawaii on the Golden and the Star and liked the Golden the most. But since we live in Northern Ca leaving from S.F. is very convenient for us.I would love to hear from my fellow cruisers if they have been on the Grand within the last year,I know she had a big dry dock, maybe she also needs a new chef.I thank you for your answers in and input Gloria

It is what you make of it. We've been aboard the Grand Princess many times, twice since the dry dock and will board her again in a few weeks for the 49-day voyage from FLL to SFO. IMHO, Princess' menus have changed, and not for the better. The food is prepared well, it's just the choices that have suffered. Can't blame that on a ship's chef. I don't know what a worn out cabin looks like. My TV worked, the shower showered and the commode vacuumed. My bed let me sleep, the lights worked and the mirror mirrored. Why I could even see out of the window. Was everything spanking new? No, but it was better maintained than my house, at least according to my wife. These ships sail in salt water, very corrosive stuff. Did I see some rust, of course, but so what! You can spend the time sailing from SFO to Hawaii trying to find fault, and you will succeed. You can spend the same time trying to enjoy yourself and the ship's amenities, and you will succeed. Do you want your glass half full or half empty? It's up to you.

The Grand is going through a major refit beginning April 25. We were on from 12/17-27 and found the ship delightful. Should be almost new when you board in October.

I thought it had already gone through this last year not 2013. I just checked the schedule and they have cruises to Hawaii on 4/10 and 4/25 for this year, then switch to Alaska. Glad to hear you enjoyed being on the ship. We can't wait.

We are booked on the Grand for the 2nd Alaska cruise on May 20, 2013.

sonnenschein .... I have read both good and bad reviews. The majority have been good, and we feel comfortable with our decision to cruise on the Grand this year. I love that we can leave from San Francisco instead of Seattle or Vancouver.

Hi There

Was on Grand in the summer fine ship, public areas like new, only thing

I thought was the lifts needed a up grade still had very dark worn wood

inside. No issues with our cabin.

yours Shogun

The refurb was completed last year.

We were aboard on 12-22-12 and were disappointed in the overall experience: food the most disappointing (quality, variety, temps), and entertainment next.

The ship is pretty enough but felt crowded, which was worse I am sure due to holidays.

Our cabin was clean but worn and dated. We were in a BB.

I think it depends on one's expectations. Ours were modest and we were disappointed. It seems that recent reviews reflect similar issues.

Hi Caviargal

You thought the ship was crowded, I was thinking opposite,

she takes 500 passengers less than the new Grand class ships,

has the same public areas,

but also has the covered pool giving more m2 for folk to sit out in etc

yours Shogun

The Grand is going through a major refit beginning April 25. We were on from 12/17-27 and found the ship delightful. Should be almost new when you board in October.

I hope not we are bording her on the 25th of April....

I hope not we are bording her on the 25th of April....

That definitely was a mistatement. We were on the first cruise out of drydock in 2011; the May 5th TA crossing from FLL to Southampton. That's when Alfredo's was added and Skywalker's was eliminated. The One5 had not yet been completed, but in February of 2012 we spent another 14 days aboard and the One5 is a lovely venue. We too, as like the poster in #2, are looking forward to boarding the Grand on January 26th for another wonderful 49 days.

Hi Caviargal

You thought the ship was crowded, I was thinking opposite,

she takes 500 passengers less than the new Grand class ships,

has the same public areas,

but also has the covered pool giving more m2 for folk to sit out in etc

yours Shogun

Our Christmas cruise was quite crowded but the ship was sold out. I cannot even imagine 500 more people.

Hi Gloria,

I don't know if you remember me or not from the Golden in 2011. If I remember correctly from that cruise you wont spend a lot of time checking out the ship because you'll be looking for your husband. I remember we found him a few times in the IC area ;). Hope you have a great cruise, we will be on the Sapphire in October. We can wave to each other. :D

Hi Gloria,

I don't know if you remember me or not from the Golden in 2011. If I remember correctly from that cruise you wont spend a lot of time checking out the ship because you'll be looking for your husband. I remember we found him a few times in the IC area ;). Hope you have a great cruise, we will be on the Sapphire in October. We can wave to each other. :D[/quote}

Trikeman, Of course I remember you and your wive, still like the Golden best of all the grand ships,we had such a wonderful time on her.

Thanks to all the posters who have responded to my question,by the way my glass is ALWAYS half full. I was just taken a bit back reading a bunch of negative reviews, now I don't feel uneasy anymore and will enjoy the Grand as I have enjoyed all our previous Princess cruises.

We were on her 1/28-2/4/12 and she looked great. The room looked the same as the one we had when we were on her in 2008 and it was not worn out or dirty.

This was the first cruise for my friend and she was flabbergasted at how beautiful the ship was in the public areas. Her only cruise frame of reference was the movie "Titanic" so she kept saying it looked like the first class section. Being in the Caribbean we weren't worried about icebergs! LOL!

Unless you are going around with a spyglass and nitpicking about a spot of rust here and there, you are not going to have any complaints. We were on her before they changed to the new menus so I can't speak of how the food is now. We are on the Island in May so I guess we will find out then.

Sue

I don't know what a worn out cabin looks like. My TV worked, the shower showered and the commode vacuumed. My bed let me sleep, the lights worked and the mirror mirrored.

Sorry, but when I was on the Grand, the mirror didn't work properly - it showed a man way older than I am....

Sorry, but when I was on the Grand, the mirror didn't work properly - it showed a man way older than I am....

I've noticed a similar problem on other Princess ships as well. There's a tall, well built 22 year old standing there in front of the mirror. The mirror shows a 64 year old man with a gray beard and not in the best of shape. Come to think of it I have the same problem at home with my own mirrors. It must be a conspiracy by the mirror people. Yeah that's it.:D

I have booked the Grand for xmas this year. I have done the Golden before for the same cruise to Hawaii, except leaving out of SF and not LA. I do not remember the crowded feeling at all and had a great cruise and expecting the same this year. I will say that I am easy to please, wait on me for 15 days, make my bed and feed me, not make me work and I am very happy.

I have checked and the Grand is doing a dry dock on December 10 for 10 days in SF this year. That is right before I get on, hoping that means it is ship shape once I board.

Something must be going on in the late April time frame. If you check the deck plans for the Grand on Princess's website, there are two options offered - from now to May 9, 2013 and after May 9, 2013. Any ideas?

Grey

Something must be going on in the late April time frame. If you check the deck plans for the Grand on Princess's website, there are two options offered - from now to May 9, 2013 and after May 9, 2013. Any ideas?

Grey

Only thing going on, and it applies to all the ships in the Princess fleet, is changing which cabins are in which price category.

I have booked the Grand for xmas this year. I have done the Golden before for the same cruise to Hawaii, except leaving out of SF and not LA. I do not remember the crowded feeling at all and had a great cruise and expecting the same this year. I will say that I am easy to please, wait on me for 15 days, make my bed and feed me, not make me work and I am very happy.

I have checked and the Grand is doing a dry dock on December 10 for 10 days in SF this year. That is right before I get on, hoping that means it is ship shape once I board.

We too are booked on the 12/20 to Hawaii sailing and really looking forward to it. Where did you find the info about the December drydock?

Archived