Danube Currencies, Credit Cards, ATMs

sippican

What advice do you have regarding these? We will be going from Prague to Budapest, spending a few days pre and post-cruise.

On a recent Baltics trip we were assured our non-chip credit card would be widely accepted, and it was in most establishments, but we were turned down twice in Denmark by stores that only take chip and pin cards. (Still searching for a chip and pin card in the US, not chip and signature.)

Are ATMs near most docking points? Did anyone pre-purchase local currencies? How are the local guides tipped? Are credit cards widely accepted by merchants and eating venues?

Thanks in advance! :)

I always prepurchase a small amount of local currency, i.e. Czech Kronas, Euros and Hungarian HUF. In Prague and Budapest the larger shops will take credit cards but small places generally want local currency. Euros are often accepted as well in Prague and Budapest. I know Denmark is picky, when we were there in 2009 my non chip credit card was not acceptable. I do have chip and pin debit and credit cards now so had no issues using them.

If you want to get money from an ATM with your credit card you definitely need a PIN. Although the new machines are working with the chip of the credit card you usually still have to sign a slip. Any kind of ticket machines or will definitely ask for your pin and work with the chip only.

steamboats

We always take cash from home. There are plenty of "Currency Exchange" places in Budapest and the rate is almost the same as if you get money from an ATM. Plus you do not incur any bank fees. But make sure there is "no comission" sigh.

And of course you can always use dollars for tips...

We travel often to Europe and do not get currency in advance. We use ATMs and pay in local currency as we go for day to day needs. For hotels we use AMEX and for train tickets we generally buy in advance or use credit cards. We did have an issue with not having a chip on our card in Amsterdam but so far, no where else.

Our most recent trip in November was three countries with different currencies. As always, we took out what we needed from bank ATMs with no issues. This is also the best exchange rate as a rule.

Although we mainly rely on ATMs and credit cards in Europe, I've started getting 50 bucks or so in the currencies where we will be landing on arrival.

After a red-eye flight from California, my mind is a fog. It's handy to have some ready cash without searching for the ATM (I had a heck of a time in Madrid a couple of years ago) or trying to figure out exchange rates (or dealing with a foreign language).

This trip, we have an additional challenge. I used miles for Virgin SFO-LHR and BA LHR-AMS. Unfortunately, because of this, they are separate tickets and the luggage cannot be checked through. Thus we have a 4 hour layover in Heathrow because we must claim baggage, go through immigration, change terminals, recheck the bags and go through security again. If all goes well, this can take as little as 2 hours or so, but if there are delays at any point, it could take the full 4 hours. Once I finish running that obstacle course, I'll probably need a drink (or maybe a magazine to read) - having a few pounds at the ready will be handy. Similarly, when we arrive in Amsterdam, it'll be handy to have enough cash for the train to Centraal Station.

In any event - we DO rely primarily on ATMs, but having a little cash upon arrival can be handy. It's easy to order it from your bank in advance.

...and I would LOVE to have a chip & PIN card (only have chip & signature now)

We've always either charged items or used ATM's for cash. Most places not part of the Eurozone will take Euros and some will take dollars. Our experience was that several places just got out a calculator, did the math, and told you what it would cost in whatever currency you were planning to pay in. For us, if it were a 20 or so dollar item, even if we paid an extra couple of bucks as part of the transaction, it was worth it. We're not "shoppers" and on all of the river cruises we've taken, there really was not a lot of additional spending.

I always take a small amount of local currency with me - and get extra via ATMs. We are lucky to have a Currency Exchange at our local mall, so can get money for a better rate than at our local banks.

We have always found that the staff at a hotel or on the boat can identify the closest ATMs - or the guides on your included excursions.

Again - we are lucky that all of our cards are chip and pin - so no issue travelling. We always let our credit card companies know that we are travelling our of the country, however, so that we won't be stopped while shopping.

Fran

In any event - we DO rely primarily on ATMs, but having a little cash upon arrival can be handy. It's easy to order it from your bank in advance.

...and I would LOVE to have a chip & PIN card (only have chip & signature now)

This is generally our plan, bring a little local currency and use the ATMs for withdrawals in ports.

We spent some time at our local Bank of America last weekend and the manager insisted that they now had a few chip & pin cards to offer customers. He was so proud of this "new" technology". It took some doing, but we were finally able to convince him that the BOA cards are chip & signature. Lol!

Seems the cards are more readily available to our Canadian neighbors.

We typically use Capital One, but Bank of America has a new card called the Travel Rewards Visa. I looked at the BofA website, and it looks like a good deal.

I copied this info related to the "Chip Technology" on their website:

Now with Chip Technology - Expanded global acceptance when shopping outside of the U.S.

• Shop with confidence in over 130 countries around the world including Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom, where chip cards are standard.
  • Chip cards are the most widely accepted way to make purchases when you travel internationally.
  • The embedded chip also adds an extra layer of security because it's extremely difficult to counterfeit.

BankAmericard Travel Rewards™ credit card

The flexibility to use points to pay for more than just flights, with no restrictions

• No annual fee
  • Earn 1.5 points for every dollar spent on purchases — 50% more than traditional rewards programs that only offer 1 point per $1
  • No limit to the total number of points you can earn and points don't expire
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees
  • Receive 10,000 bonus points after qualified purchase(s)

We typically use Capital One, but Bank of America has a new card called the Travel Rewards Visa. I looked at the BofA website, and it looks like a good deal.

I copied this info related to the "Chip Technology" on their website:

Now with Chip Technology - Expanded global acceptance when shopping outside of the U.S.

• Shop with confidence in over 130 countries around the world including Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom, where chip cards are standard.
  • Chip cards are the most widely accepted way to make purchases when you travel internationally.
  • The embedded chip also adds an extra layer of security because it's extremely difficult to counterfeit.

BankAmericard Travel Rewards™ credit card

The flexibility to use points to pay for more than just flights, with no restrictions

• No annual fee
  • Earn 1.5 points for every dollar spent on purchases — 50% more than traditional rewards programs that only offer 1 point per $1
  • No limit to the total number of points you can earn and points don't expire
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees
  • Receive 10,000 bonus points after qualified purchase(s)

Nope it is a "Chip and Signature " card!! Once again the US banks don't seem to get it!

Again, usually the chip will do it. But for any kind of machines you will need the PIN too. You can´t retrieve any money from an ATM without a PIN (which must have 4 digits). Also ticket machines might not work without a PIN (it really depends on the machine).

In shops the credit card machines do work with the chip but you still have to sign. They also have a device on the side where the card can be slid through. So I´m not sure whether they still can slide a card without a chip.

steamboats

Again, usually the chip will do it. But for any kind of machines you will need the PIN too. You can´t retrieve any money from an ATM without a PIN (which must have 4 digits). Also ticket machines might not work without a PIN (it really depends on the machine).

In shops the credit card machines do work with the chip but you still have to sign. They also have a device on the side where the card can be slid through. So I´m not sure whether they still can slide a card without a chip.

steamboats

Our "chip & signature" card was refused twice by stores in Copenhagen last year (even though we were told by our bank that merchants were obligated to honor it). They may have the ability to run the card, but not be willing to. Try arguing that point when you don't speak the language! ;)

We are taking a land-based trip to Switzerland this summer and will be doing all of our travelling by rail. I am determined to find a card I know will be accepted.

Otherwise, looks like our ATM card will be a good option for the Danube trip.

@sippican,

Obviously they didn´t want to make any business :D!! Did they ask for a PIN in the shop?? I´ve had this in France and said that I don´t know it (which was true by that time) and I didn´t have any problem to sign the slip. I don´t mind showing them an ID if they ask for it (but they didn´t).

Let´s say the French I´ve learned at school was enough to understand what she was asking for but I wasn´t able to answer so I switched to English :rolleyes:.

steamboats

Archived