"Limo Liner" Boston to NYC

emcee207

We live just outside of Boston and we are cruising on the NCL Gem out of Pier 88 on March 4, 2013.

I have investigated most of the options of getting transport to the pier and back to Boston upon return. We plan on going down on embarkation day and returning home the day we return; no need for us to stay in NYC this trip.

Options include;

Driving down ourselves and parking at Pier, pking about $315 for the nine days plus the cost of fuel for 2 X 4 1/2 hour ride, total maybe close to $475 but maybe most convenient.

Having my son drive us down and back but that is 9 hrs driving each way for him, and more fuel money.

Flying into JFK via Jet Blue at $170 pp rt which is $340. Then cab or car from JFK to port which has to be at least $75 each way which comes to almost $500.

We have a local luxury bus service called "Limo Liner" which runs between Boston and mid town Manhatten and back several times a day. Bus holds only 28 passengers, has drinks and tv, 2-50# suitcases per passenger. Can park for free where we pick it up in Boston. Bus drops you off at the Hilton Hotel 1301 Ave of Americas which i think is around 53rd street. Fare with a special deal is $180 rtpp for first passenger and $90 rt for second passenger which is $270 total. I think that is fairly close to Pier 88, maybe a ten minute $20 cab ride??

Any thoughts? I am leaning towards the Limo Liner but have never taken it. Has anyone had any experiences with it?

thanks for any help.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with the limo liner.

What exact area do you live in just outside Boston? I live northwest of the city, but I have been driving 45 minutes to Braintree to catch the Entertainment tours cruise bus directly to Bayonne, which is a PITA to get to economically. The charge is $110/pp and $25 to park for the duration of the cruise. The bus delivers you directly to the pier and the porters unload your luggage. The bus leaves at 6:45 am. You get one suitcase free and others are $20 plus a free carryon. It's a luxury bus, but no TV, drinks, or wi-fi. The bus will probably make a pit stop along the way. Coming back the bus leaves NYC at 1 pm, which means you would wait around for a while. The bus offers stops in Worcester, Springfield, and Hartford, but will stop only if people have made a reservation for that stop.

We've taken the LimoLiner (r/t) to NYC from the Framingham pickup spot. It's an open parking lot on Route 9, near the onramp to I-90. If you book it, they send you a sheet of paper with the dates of your travel that you stick in your windshield so you can park there overnight (it looks like a public "park and ride" lot, so I'm not sure how important that paper is).

The bus going to NYC was a few minutes late picking us up, but our reserved seats were very comfortable, and we arrived on time at the Hilton (took a route through the Bronx and down the East Side I had never taken before).

You wouldn't want to walk from their to the ship, it's almost 10 blocks South and a good shlep West -- your cab estimate is good.

Food on the bus is ok (sandwiches, IIRC), and every seat has it's own TV.

There are sometimes coupons around for Limo Liner -- we only did it instead of driving for the weekend we went because we got it for under $150 for the two of us.

Return trip was on time and uneventful.

What exact area do you live in just outside Boston? I live northwest of the city, but I have been driving 45 minutes to Braintree to catch the Entertainment tours cruise bus directly to Bayonne, which is a PITA to get to economically. The charge is $110/pp and $25 to park for the duration of the cruise. The bus delivers you directly to the pier and the porters unload your luggage. The bus leaves at 6:45 am. You get one suitcase free and others are $20 plus a free carryon. It's a luxury bus, but no TV, drinks, or wi-fi. The bus will probably make a pit stop along the way. Coming back the bus leaves NYC at 1 pm, which means you would wait around for a while. The bus offers stops in Worcester, Springfield, and Hartford, but will stop only if people have made a reservation for that stop.

138, we are in Milton and would prob drive to Framinham, about 30 mins, to pick up the Limo Liner. I checked into the Braintree bus you are referring to back in 2011 when we left on the Silhouette from Bayonne. too Many stops for me!

We've taken the LimoLiner (r/t) to NYC from the Framingham pickup spot. It's an open parking lot on Route 9, near the onramp to I-90. If you book it, they send you a sheet of paper with the dates of your travel that you stick in your windshield so you can park there overnight (it looks like a public "park and ride" lot, so I'm not sure how important that paper is).

The bus going to NYC was a few minutes late picking us up, but our reserved seats were very comfortable, and we arrived on time at the Hilton (took a route through the Bronx and down the East Side I had never taken before).

You wouldn't want to walk from their to the ship, it's almost 10 blocks South and a good shlep West -- your cab estimate is good.

Food on the bus is ok (sandwiches, IIRC), and every seat has it's own TV.

There are sometimes coupons around for Limo Liner -- we only did it instead of driving for the weekend we went because we got it for under $150 for the two of us.

Return trip was on time and uneventful.

Thanks Nitemare. Our fare would be more, about $270 but we'll be gone for 9 days and the parking alone would be over $300 not to mention the fuel for the 9 hrs of driving down and back. So, I think it works for us. And, I never considered walking to the pier with luggage but the cab fare, right to the pier, won't be unreasonable.

To make a long story short... Using points on southwest Denver to Providence for 6000 points!!! Visiting with family for weekend, meeting up with BFF and two others, taking Train to NYC for $40!!! 7:30 am - 10:50 am. Two 50 lbs suitcases free, but size restrictions. Will have to take cab from Penn station, $12-15! Hope this helps!!

Thank you Gentlemancruiser, that is about what i figured, I was thrown for a loop with that other $50 figure, don't know where that came from.

We'll probably also stay sat and sun night at the Hilton, right where the bus drops you off. I won't be going on the "Bolt Bus".

Driven to NY for about 8 cruises, don't why parking is so high don't remember paying that much. Would drive into NY for any cruise taken from there no need to guess what I would chose. We live in central Mass and were home by 12:30 our last cruise. Parking is so convenient and driving in and out of the city a breeze.

Driven to NY for about 8 cruises, don't why parking is so high don't remember paying that much. Would drive into NY for any cruise taken from there no need to guess what I would chose. We live in central Mass and were home by 12:30 our last cruise. Parking is so convenient and driving in and out of the city a breeze.

Parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal has been $35 per night for several months. Prior to the latest increase it had been $30 per night for the previous couple of years.

I see you're about to cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. Parking at Cape Liberty in Bayonne is much cheaper...$19 per night.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone taken the Entertainment bus from New Haven, cT to the piers?

Is it reliable and what time does it get you to the ship?

We live in Hamden, CT (near New Haven) so we would pick up the Entertainment bus at the train station. We were just wondering about the time we arrive at the terminal. Also, a little worried that our luggage would get lost and not make it onto the ship.

Anyone have a problem :eek:? Thanks, "L"

They ask for your cell phone number and give it to the drivers, so it's important to have your cell phone charged and on. It's important to pay attention about where the bus will stop. Get there early and be on the lookout for the bus. We had some total "airheads" get on in Hartford - absolutely no clue. They were just sitting inside the terminal waiting for who knows what and the driver had to go in and search them out. Coming back this same group made a leisurely departure from the ship and did not have their cells phones on so everyone else had to wait for them.

Luggage is not a problem. When you get to the port, they will unload the luggage and you can either claim it to carry on or give it to the porters with a tip. It's essentially the same process as dropping off from a car. I'm leaving in two days and I'm planning to get luggage tags at the pier instead of doing a craft project at home to make them, so as anxious as I will be to get on the ship, I will take the time to make sure my luggage is tagged properly and heads off for the ship.

Archived