Britannia Restaurant table numbers

Whitemarsh

Firstly, thank you to pepperrn for replying to my earlier questions and great photos by the way! I've heard that on the upper deck in the Britannia you can feel quite a bit of vibration from the ship to the extent that some people have asked to move to the lower deck. Have you not found this?

I've never noticed any unusual vibrations on either deck of the Britannia.

I think sitting downstairs gives more of a sense of "grandness" making it preferable to some people.

Also, there are a few steps in the upper deck Britannia (depending where one is seated), which would be a problem for someone in a wheelchair. But, because the upper Britannia is tiered, there can be less of a claustrophobic feeling in that location.

Well my table (in May '14) is shown on the diagram with the same number and in the same position as it was in reality. However, they do move numbers about very occasionally.

Hope this helps.

Our table number from May 2014 sailing (lower deck) is also consistent with the table-seating map.

It can feel very congested in Britannia on the QM2. We have often requested the upper deck and found this less so.

Have a wonderful sailing!

Same sailing and my table is show correctly

Can you actually call Cunard and request a specific table before you embark? Or is that something you can only do once you're on board the ship? We did a TA in 2010 and I must admit the Britannia dining room was a most challenging experience for me. I'm a recovering agoraphobic and the maps of the QM2 decks - showing where everything is located (along with photographs) really helped me and made for a comfortable and enjoyable experience. We're traveling again in a few weeks (the Independence Cruise) and we're treating our son and new daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. I must admit though that the Britannia dining room - although beautiful and stunning - does make me a little nervous, and it would be helpful to know where we might be seated. Just wondering if that is something we can find out now or if we will have to wait.

Can you actually call Cunard and request a specific table before you embark? Or is that something you can only do once you're on board the ship? We did a TA in 2010 and I must admit the Britannia dining room was a most challenging experience for me. I'm a recovering agoraphobic and the maps of the QM2 decks - showing where everything is located (along with photographs) really helped me and made for a comfortable and enjoyable experience. We're traveling again in a few weeks (the Independence Cruise) and we're treating our son and new daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. I must admit though that the Britannia dining room - although beautiful and stunning - does make me a little nervous, and it would be helpful to know where we might be seated. Just wondering if that is something we can find out now or if we will have to wait.

DarCav, I agree with the previous comments regarding the upper levels of the MDR. Just my personal experience, but I found it to be quieter, and less "hectic" if that's the correct word.

Actually, on the 4th of July cruise last year, we were seated there, and the atmosphere and service was excellent, much to my surprise and delight. I don't know about requesting a table before you board, but once you have boarded, you will find your table assignment in your stateroom. If it is not to your liking, please proceed as soon as possible to the MDR and discuss a change of table with the maître d'.

I believe you have chosen a good ship, it's not crowded, and there is something for everyone to enjoy (well, not rock climbing or ice skating, etc :D)

Best wishes for a very enjoyable voyage. Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Can you actually call Cunard and request a specific table before you embark? Or is that something you can only do once you're on board the ship?
On QV we made a request via our TA for a specific section (6-top along the rear windows) and the request was passed along to the Maitre d' and we got our requested table. They did caution that the final assignment was up to the onboard allocation process...

I am also going on my first cruise on the Transatlantic but on July 28th. I am enjoying getting to know all the familiar usernames on this forum so my questions are rather mundane. One is whether or not I will have trouble getting decaffeinated coffee onboard and also, how is the coffee in general, not necessarily speciality coffees, just your everyday cup of joe. The way others love wine, I love coffee. Also, on the informal nights is it acceptable to go to any of the shows dressed the same?

I'm not a good judge of coffee but Sir Samuels will probably get you a better cup of decaf than Britannia.

On informal nights you may dress informally for the shows (defined as jacket with optional tie). On formal nights the expectation is to be in formal wear. Some people choose to be conspicuous by changing after dinner - don't be that guy. :)

EDIT: Having now noticed your username, I'm more confident you won't be that guy. ;).

There's more latitude for women than men, but I think the dress codes for formal and informal wear are clearly explained in the Cunard web pages.

Edited by Underwatr

My pleasure, and glad you liked the photos.

No, I've not noticed any difference between upper and lower levels when it comes to vibration. And I've been on both levels many times over the years.

When are you boarding? If it is after June 20th-24th (when I'm next on board) I will check for you (really concentrate to see if I can feel any difference) and report back here.

Thank you again for the compliment :) .

We're not due to travel until August so it would be great if you could check. Not a problem if you can't.

We're not due to travel until August so it would be great if you could check. Not a problem if you can't.
My pleasure.

I'll be dining in the evening on the upper level, and having breakfast and at least one lunch on the lower level of the Britannia Restaurant, so plenty of chances to make comparisons :) .

Only six full days to go... :) :) :)

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks for the coffee advice, have read all the advice about what comprises semi formal and I'm well prepared for those evenings! Yes, no ties or coats packed!

Just so there will be no confusion (or less confusion), Desert Mary, gentlemen are still required to wear a jacket to dinner. Ties are now optional on non-formal nights, but if you mean "coat" for "jacket" and have a gentleman with you…. maybe better put the coat back in the suitcase. Also, although ties are now optional on non-formal nights, many gentlemen still choose to wear one.

It is my understanding that the coffee in Sir Samuel's has an extra charge, while the coffee in Britannia, or in the King's Court, incurs no extra charge. So, I would hope Sir Samuel's coffee would be better! Coffee in the King's Court is self-serve and available at any time. There are paper cups available, so you can take a cup "to go" if you like. (I don't actually drink coffee myself, but my DH does)

Have a wonderful time on your crossing!

Pepper! You lucky devil!!!!! Have ANOTHER wonderful crossing! Keep us all apprised of the merits of your next sailing. Bon voyage...
Hi jimmybean,

Thank you :) . Sadly, this won't be a crossing, merely a Southampton to Hamburg and return trip. However, it is a mini-cruise that I've not done since 2008 and I am very much looking forward to it. So six days to go and then four nights on board.

I'm also booked on a mini-cruise in September, but this is to spend time on board QM2 with a very special friend; so I get to see two gracious and wonderful ladies on one voyage :) !

Thank you again, with all best wishes :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi jimmybean,

Thank you :) . Sadly, this won't be a crossing, merely a Southampton to Hamburg and return trip. However, it is a mini-cruise that I've not done since 2008 and I am very much looking forward to it. So six days to go and then four nights on board.

I'm also booked on a mini-cruise in September, but this is to spend time on board QM2 with a very special friend; so I get to see two gracious and wonderful ladies on one voyage :) !

Thank you again, with all best wishes :) .

My misunderstanding, but still a lucky devil ; ) I am jealous, jealous, jealous. We have never taken a mini-cruise, but sounds like you will have a wonderful time.

My pleasure, and glad you liked the photos.

No, I've not noticed any difference between upper and lower levels when it comes to vibration. And I've been on both levels many times over the years.

When are you boarding? If it is after June 20th-24th (when I'm next on board) I will check for you (really concentrate to see if I can feel any difference) and report back here.

Thank you again for the compliment :) .

I've just requested table 306. Would you be really kind and check this out for me when you go on board (very soon)? I don't want to be hemmed in by lots of people and I think this one has quite a bit of space round it. It's also on the upper floor so I hope there's no vibration. Many thanks and bon voyage.

I've just requested table 306. Would you be really kind and check this out for me when you go on board (very soon)? I don't want to be hemmed in by lots of people and I think this one has quite a bit of space round it. It's also on the upper floor so I hope there's no vibration. Many thanks and bon voyage.
Hi Sandra Smudger,

Of course, no problem :) . I board on Friday and will check the position and space around the table when I check my own table (usually just before lunch in the Kings Court). I'll take photos as well.

Then the next day (a "sea day") I'll check for differences in vibration levels Deck 2/Deck3 (but seriously doubt there will be any).

I've made a note in my diary (my memory these days is simply dreadful :o ). I'll report back here over the weekend or early next week.

Hi Sandra Smudger,

Of course, no problem :) . I board on Friday and will check the position and space around the table when I check my own table (usually just before lunch in the Kings Court). I'll take photos as well.

Then the next day (a "sea day") I'll check for differences in vibration levels Deck 2/Deck3 (but seriously doubt there will be any).

I've made a note in my diary (my memory these days is simply dreadful :o ). I'll report back here over the weekend or early next week.

I don't think there will be vibrations of any noticability. Judging by the number, I think the table will be on the upper level of Britannia.

Look forward to joining you in Hamburg, Pepperrn.

I don't think there will be vibrations of any noticability. ... Look forward to joining you in Hamburg, Pepperrn.
Hi Austcruiser84,

And I am looking forward to you joining QM2, and to meeting you :)

All best wishes,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sandra Smudger,

In this set here:

There are three photos of table 306 taken on Saturday 21st June '14.

There was no difference in vibration levels between Decks 2 or 3 in the Britannia Restaurant that I could tell. Almost all over there was a very gentle... well "vibration" is too strong a word. Unless I concentrated, I could barely feel it. Certainly nothing to spoil breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Hope the photos help.

Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Sandra Smudger,

In this set here:

That's what I call a proper table for two. Not the 4" gap to the next table for two we were assigned on the 5th June TA. Needless to say, we got it changed. It seems as if booking 11 months in advance made no difference.

• 3 weeks later...
My pleasure.

I'll be dining in the evening on the upper level, and having breakfast and at least one lunch on the lower level of the Britannia Restaurant, so plenty of chances to make comparisons :) .

Only six full days to go... :) :) :)

Hi Pepperrn. How was your trip of QM2? Did you manage to get a look at table 306 on the upper deck of Britannia? Just wondered. No problem if you didn't.

Hi Sandra Smudger,

In this set here:

There was no difference in vibration levels between Decks 2 or 3 in the Britannia Restaurant that I could tell. Almost all over there was a very gentle... well "vibration" is too strong a word. Unless I concentrated, I could barely feel it. Certainly nothing to spoil breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Hope the photos help.

Bon Voyage! :)

It certainly does and great photography! Thanks also for investigating the vibration issue. I think the slight rumbling sensation was probably the engines so there would be trouble if you couldn't feel that. Very much looking forward to our first cruise on QM2 and I trust you had a great time too.