Travel agent or not

arkjeweler

Do you recommend using a travel agent or do you do everything yourself? This is our 5th cruise, but first on Carnival. Is there a charge for a travel agent now?

A good travel agent can be worth his/her weight in gold. A lousy TA can become a real headache.

I've been on twenty cruises and I use a TA. My TA has helped me out on several occasions. And no, there is no charge for using a travel agent to book a cruise.

I have used TA's and also done it myself. If booking ES I would not recommend using a TA at all. I would only book ES directly through Carnival.

I had 2 different TA companies that I booked through last month. One I will never use again it was so bad. The other it is the 3rd time we have used them and it was great.

I guess it all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

I "ditto" Ready2CruzAgain's comments about not using a TA if you are booking ES. I used a TA on the first time I booked ES and trying to get the price reduction was a pain because he was "out of the office" for an extended time. I finally had to have the travel agency assign another travel agent to make the ES price reduction request for me. Fortunately, the request was made while there was still a price reduction in effect!

When I booked a subsequent cruise using ES on my own, it was "easy peasy" for me to request the ES price reduction as soon as I saw it.

I have never used a TA, so I don't know how they work. I like doing things myself so that I know how things are going to be and there are no surprises. That could just be me, though.

That is the whole point. Why do all the work when you are not getting any price reduction. Some things take a lot of work and my TA is the one that has to do it. I have no trouble verifying that the travel agent has done what I asked. That is one of the ways you can tell the good agents from the bad.

Being an avid traveler, I only used a TA once and that was for our first Disney World vacation. After that, I found that I'm awesome at planning vacations and have the time to do so.... and enjoy it immensely! :D It's really up to the person, time available to plan, and their comfort levels.

• 3 weeks later...

We do it based on cost and flights - I agree a good TA is worth their weight in gold and we have had some fantastic service and perks like OBC, bottles of wine and reduced prices.

If we can do cruise only and book our own flights or not need flights, its often better for us to use a TA as we get a reduced price than the cruise line is stating. If needing to fly the same day as we embark, we try to use the cruise line inclusive of flights. That way if something goes wrong with the flights, it is there responsibility to get us to the ship.

That said, we had a fantastic TA and they have been taken over by another company. Yes they were the cheapest by a long way but I am seriously regretting using them. Cheap doesn't mean value for money.

The agent said my price included pre paid gratuities and they would knock off my future cruise voucher and send a revised reduced invoice - things that I find out at final payment have never happened and the agent has left the company. I have the emails showing that these were included from the agent and am now having to argue with the the company over it. basically adds up to $400 difference - so bang goes the reduced price.

It won't put me off using TA's as we have another 2 that are really good but I won't be using this one ever again.

I do it myself (PVP thru Carnival). I like to have control of my own booking, and I do all the research myself anyway.

I like using a PVP from Carnival. They can help you out if you run into problems. I've never booked online, I alway want somebody to deal with if I do need to change something.

Normally we book directly with the cruise line by phone. The one time we booked with a TA we weren't thrilled. We had questions for the cruise line about a few things and they wouldn't talk to us directly, since we booked with a TA we had to go through them for answers. Then they had to call the cruise line. Booking direct has been easy and they can answer any questions you may have.

Better directly with Carnival but using one of their PVP's (Personal Vacation Planner). Keep in mind that PVP's are not the same thing as the regular agents that you reach by calling the 1-800-Carnival number. If you want a PVP, call their direct line at 1-800-819-3902.

Thgey have invented a thing called the internet making TA's obsolete.
I completely disagree! A good, travel agent with many years experience in leisure sales is amazing! Ours has saved us so much money,...we've lost count. She has a very good working relationship with many, many sales reps from cruise lines, tour operators, airlines, and hotel and car rental agencies. Whenever I have questions, they get answered. The cruise line is going to charge me the exact same price, whether I purchase on my own, or have my TA do all of the work for me. I don't have to pay her a dime. So why not have the luxury of having someone else do everything,...at zero cost to me.

There have been times that I would have missed a flight, if not for her letting me know, that there was a schedule change. Of course I could have signed up for e-mail alerts,...but I don't want to. She's a GEM!

I have said this in serveral other posting on this subject. I tried a PVP once and she was the worst person I have ever dealt with. I wanted five specific cabins in a row for our group. She kept telling me that I couldn't pick specific cabins. I told her that it could be done as long as we didn't go with a guarantee booking. She basically told me I was crazy for paying a higher price just to have a specific cabin.

After arguing with her I finally convinced her that I was going to pay the higher price and wanted specific cabins. She then told me that I would have to pay the downpayment for all five cabins right then to hold them. I hung up and called our TA. She got all five cabins put on hold, then we each sent her the downpayment.

We each got a bottle of wine in our cabins from her upon boarding. We wouldn't book ES so there's no reason to keep checking prices. When final payment is due, she contacts us with the final pricing. We will use her as long as she stays in business.

I have said this in serveral other posting on this subject. I tried a PVP once and she was the worst person I have ever dealt with. I wanted five specific cabins in a row for our group. She kept telling me that I couldn't pick specific cabins. I told her that it could be done as long as we didn't go with a guarantee booking. She basically told me I was crazy for paying a higher price just to have a specific cabin.

After arguing with her I finally convinced her that I was going to pay the higher price and wanted specific cabins. She then told me that I would have to pay the downpayment for all five cabins right then to hold them. I hung up and called our TA. She got all five cabins put on hold, then we each sent her the downpayment.

Are you sure this person worked for Carnival. Since when do you tell the customer not to pay the higher price when the customer wants to pay the higher price???

FWIW, I've been on 21 cruises and I use a travel agent.

Are you sure this person worked for Carnival. Since when do you tell the customer not to pay the higher price when the customer wants to pay the higher price???

FWIW, I've been on 21 cruises and I use a travel agent.

I called Carnival and she answered the phone so I guessed she was an employee. For all I know, she could have been a janitor that was passing by the phone when I called.

I called Carnival and she answered the phone so I guessed she was an employee. For all I know, she could have been a janitor that was passing by the phone when I called.

I was being sarcastic. If a supervisor heard her say what she said to you, you would have been the last person she spoke to.

My first cruise was taken care of by my parents. I booked my second cruise with one of the big online travel agencies (think yellow suitcase). I booked my third cruise with a PVP. I had to cabins. She didn't link the two for dinner. Fortunately she left before the cruise began and the person that took over noticed the error and corrected it. My fourth & fifth cruise was booked online with that same big online travel agency. My sixth cruise was booked through an agent I had to use because I was using CVC points. My seventh cruise was booked through an agent that I still use.

A good agent can be very helpful, even to someone like me with 21 cruises on five different cruise lines. One call and everything is taken care of.

Archived