Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

We very seldom eat dessert and usually leave the table after the main entree. On our last cruise our waiter was concerned that something was the matter, but after a couple of days it became a running joke that we would "escape" before they would have a chance to give us the dessert menu. When we finally did stay around for dessert they were really pleased.

We have run into a some snobs on our cruises, we have run into them at home too. We don't let them or rude people ruin our vacation, we just ignore them and keep on having fun. It's too bad that they can't have fun also.

LOL - we could split a meal then. I will on occasion get 2 appetizers and skip the main course.

I rarely skip the desert though. Princess whips up some mean ice creams and sorbets.

I guess I must be on a different wave length, but I honestly can't understand why people assume that if you are sending something back, you are automatically rude. It is possible to be extremely sweet and thoughtful and return something that isn't properly prepared.

I also have difficulty believing that the charming waiters we have experienced on our cruises would behave in a vengeful manner. Moreover, contaminating any passenger's food, even if they deserved it would automatically cost them their job.

Of course, it could happen, but I have enough faith in the decency of the cruise staff that I am not going to worry about it.

My sentiments exactly!

Hahahahaha!!! If I make it next time, I'm doing the blue card thing for sure!!! I can't wait for them to all run up to me to advise me that I must in the wrong place.

Here is a fun game to play if you are elite and going to the captains lunch and captains circle cocktail party.

Go to the reception desk and ask for a spare key to your cabin. It will be blue with no details on it. Have a hole punched in it and put it on your lanyard as you head of to the lunch or cocktail party.

Now you have a few options when the other elites see you in there with a blue on you can tell them

1. Say " is this open for lunch every day?"

2. Say nothing and wait and see who confronts you first

3. Say "they didnt have the Premium Elite cards ready yet"

4. Say "i won this at Vegas, its my first cruise"

;)

I guess this qualifies as snobbery. We were lucky enough to get chosen for the Chef's Table and were beyond thrilled. While having our incredible appetizers in the galley with the head chef and Generoso (wonderful wonderful man) before dinner, one of our fellow diners said rather loudly that he felt that the cheesecake throughout the ship wasn't consistent. A deep silence followed that remark. But as someone remarked to me later, just how much cheesecake did he eat to make that judgment. :\

Yes but Wanda at the same Chef's table the woman sitting next to me barely ate a bite, she didn't think it was a decent enough standard in fact in her review she stated that the food on the ship was very sub par and then complained about the quality of the paper the patter was written on:confused:

Terry

I guess I must be on a different wave length, but I honestly can't understand why people assume that if you are sending something back, you are automatically rude. It is possible to be extremely sweet and thoughtful and return something that isn't properly prepared.

I also have difficulty believing that the charming waiters we have experienced on our cruises would behave in a vengeful manner. Moreover, contaminating any passenger's food, even if they deserved it would automatically cost them their job.

Of course, it could happen, but I have enough faith in the decency of the cruise staff that I am not going to worry about it.

I must agree with you too. If something hasn't been prepared properly, I don't think it's rude at all (nor snobbery) to ask nicely for it to be replaced. I have had something brought to me that was still icy inside (and it was meat). I don't think it's being rude to ask to get something that is cooked all the way through. I also have never had any waiter on a ship that I thought would retaliate for being asked nicely to bring a replacement.

Frankly, I think that many of the instances being cited here are more a case of people with no manners or just downright rude, than snobs. Even on land there seem to be plenty of folks who have no manners.

The worst by far was a man who placed a plate on his wine glass due to oxidisation, was vile to the waiter and told us at length how he workedfor a vineyard and was an expert and he had complained to passenger services they don’t know how to serve wine on this ship and the sommelier didn’t know anything about wine. It was so embarrassing we apologised to the waiter for our fellow passenger’s behaviour- strange dude and yes we avoided them although I did ry to make light by telling him the wine isn't in my glass long enough to oxidise :D

The worst by far was a man who placed a plate on his wine glass due to oxidisation, was vile to the waiter and told us at length how he workedfor a vineyard and was an expert and he had complained to passenger services they don’t know how to serve wine on this ship and the sommelier didn’t know anything about wine. It was so embarrassing we apologised to the waiter for our fellow passenger’s behaviour- strange dude and yes we avoided them although I did ry to make light by telling him the wine isn't in my glass long enough to oxidise :D

He sounds like a complete ar*e - wine takes a lot more than 24 hours to oxidise and 'go off'. Most wines benefit from aeration after being opened - some wines actually should be opened 24 hours before drinking (Barolo being a good example).

Having re-read this post it sounds disgustingly snobbish! :D

In my defence, if I can help to enlighten people how to get the best from their wine I would say that is a service not a snobbism.

My wife and I have for some reason on the last 3 cruises we have taken, a couple who we call The Pukes have been on the same time. We useally see them before boarding. The are like us 40s couple, but so snooty. He walks around with a Capt hat. Sit in front row of all shows and constantly stand up prior to show like a peacock. We at time will be walking on board and see them and hide from them so we dont have to say Hi. amazing we are just people looking to have some R and R and have to deal with people who are just plain rude. Its hard not to dress them down verbally. But we are the better people for just ignoring them Peace

I find it so amazing--and sad--that some people go on a cruise just to look for reasons to be unhappy and complain. Why not just stay home by yourself and be miserable in private so that those of us who go on a cruise planning to be happy can enjoy it.

We once were "treated" to a passenger sitting in front of us at the muster drill who was complaining that it was the worst cruise she'd ever been on, and the crew was mean and unfriendly. She said that she didn't know "this Mr. Tony" who was the captain, but she assumed he was a very young captain, and that she was going to have a private meeting with him to "straighten him out". Amazingly, this was on the Ruby Princess, and she was referring to Capt. Tony Yeomans, one of Princess' best! How awful could this cruise have been when we hadn't even sailed yet??

She said that she didn't know "this Mr. Tony" who was the captain, but she assumed he was a very young captain, and that she was going to have a private meeting with him to "straighten him out". Amazingly, this was on the Ruby Princess, and she was referring to Capt. Tony Yeomans, one of Princess' best! How awful could this cruise have been when we hadn't even sailed yet??

Yep Capt 'Tony' - two of them... Yeomans and Draper. Couldn't meet nicer people!! From what I've heard, Capt Yeomans is retiring, and Capt Draper is on the new Royal. Good luck and health to both of them.

Aaah Yes !!!! A vivid description of reality. How many snobs have unknowingly been the receipients of retribution and didn't even suspect it?

AND --- Not only in the Army. If your rejected meal is returned to you with a "too sweet" smile from the waiter --- LOOK OUT !!!

Great post !!!!:D

Do you mean like the "Fish Course" from the dinner party sceen in the movie War of the Roses?:p

Or worse, like the pie in "the help" :eek:

Yep Capt 'Tony' - two of them... Yeomans and Draper. Couldn't meet nicer people!! From what I've heard, Capt Yeomans is retiring, and Capt Draper is on the new Royal. Good luck and health to bo

Just off the Ruby and yes, Capt. Yeomans told me he is in fact retiring at the end of this year. The other Tony will be the captain of the new Royal as stated. BTW, there's another nice "Tony." That would be Capt. Anthony Herriott.

Yep Capt 'Tony' - two of them... Yeomans and Draper. Couldn't meet nicer people!! From what I've heard, Capt Yeomans is retiring, and Capt Draper is on the new Royal. Good luck and health to bo

Just off the Ruby and yes, Capt. Yeomans told me he is in fact retiring at the end of this year. The other Tony will be the captain of the new Royal as stated. BTW, there's another nice "Tony." That would be Capt. Anthony Herriott.

Do the ships have several captians?

As Captain Dino (from the Diamond) announced last year (October) that he would be the captain of the new Royal.

When we were on the QM2 we had asked for a table for 8 and were assigned a table for 2. I dearly love my husband but after almost 45 years together I already know all of his stories. When I went up to the maitre d to see about getting another table there was a man in front of me insisting on a table for two in order to escape from this "horrible Brit" who just talked nonstop. When he left I asked the maitre d how many people were at table from which the man had escaped. When he said 8, I said oh please seat us there. The Brit did talk a lot, but he was an absolute kick and we enjoyed him tremendously. He had been in the music business and had worked with such folks as The Rolling Stones. We loved his stories. He would definitely qualify at an eccentric, but a truly entertaining one.

Yes! Precisely the kind of person I was talking about! It sounds like you had a really good time. And I'll bet you and your DH had some good laughs after dinner too. People like that can be infectious if allowed. Just in the same way that a grump can ruin someone's mood just by breathing.

You almost never see fish knives on princess any more...

I asked one waitress about this, and she said she didn't use

them because most passengers didn't know what they were.

Ok, I will take one for the team, What is a fish knife, I have no idea, and I would hate to be a ship with some fine people who would look down on me for being a hick for not knowing.

Ok, I will take one for the team, What is a fish knife, I have no idea, and I would hate to be a ship with some fine people who would look down on me for being a hick for not knowing.

Noun1.fish knife - a small table knife with a spatula blade used for eating fish

A bit of advice from me ----- If you are left handed, don't even try to use one of those things !!!!!!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_use_a_fish_knife_at_dinner

Noun1.fish knife - a small table knife with a spatula blade used for eating fish

A bit of advice from me ----- If you are left handed, don't even try to use one of those things !!!!!!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_use_a_fish_knife_at_dinner

Sounds very complicated, I think I will go for the Fish broth/soup. :D

Do I still request the fish knife?:D

I had an 11 year old in the hot tub with me and a friend and we were just chatting between ourselves....and the kid piped up and said to us " you two will be old ladies before you even get close to the status that I have and im only 11. Im Elite on princess you will never get that.....

I was shocked to say the least

When we took our grandkids on their second Princess cruise, I asked about the blue card they received and was told that those under 18 years of age would receive a blue card until they turned 18, no matter how many cruises they took.

Yes !!!! Request it !!!! It is easier to eat soup with a knife than eating fish with one of those blasted things (If you are a southpaw, that is !!:D

I love getting the fish knife. Now odd question. Not a southpaw, but in the words of my dad, I "eat like a Canadian" by having the knife in my right and fork/spoon in my left with no issue. What is it that complicates it for southpaws aside from having to switch hands? Or is it like a hockey stick and golf club with a curve on the wrong side?

I love getting the fish knife. Now odd question. Not a southpaw, but in the words of my dad, I "eat like a Canadian" by having the knife in my right and fork/spoon in my left with no issue. What is it that complicates it for southpaws aside from having to switch hands? Or is it like a hockey stick and golf club with a curve on the wrong side?

You nailed it !!!! The knife is backward for us lefties:eek:!!!!! If I tried to switch hands, I would have fish all over me and anybody within ten feet of me !!

Archived