Dress Code Offenders

Boobaby

Should people who dress informally on formal dining nights be told to leave?

Should people wearing jeans or jogging suits at any dining room dinner be told to leave?

Should men be told to remove their hats in the dining room?

I think so, do you?

On the Prisendam's recent transatlantic crossing I noticed that the dining room table captains were enforcing the dress code at the entrances to the dining room on informal nights. On several evenings I noticed that two or three male passengers were turned away at the door and told that they needed jackets. Their companions entered the dining room and I presume they went to their cabins for jackets. One passenger, who had been turned away and was seated in my section, did rejoin his tablemates with a jacket. First time in 15 HAL cruises I ever saw the dress code enforced.

Come on.. my experience in 5 HAL cruises now has been that at least 95% of the folks DO follow the dress code... In these days of blue/red division, etc, it's pretty amazing that you can get a group of 1500 or more disparate types to do ANYTHING at that level of unanimity..

So relax, enjoy, recognize that YOUR umbrage will do nothing to address the issue and be glad that MOST folks still do make the effort

Cruisers have been asked to leave the main dining rooms both Princess and NCL. I have also seen eight 'gentlmen' eating in one of the dining rooms all wearing baseball caps. I am aware that we are all on holiday, but, we should also be aware that a level of decorum must be maintained. This should include using good manners. If some cruisers believe that this incudes disregarding the 'dress code', maybe they should not be cruising in the first place. john

I agree. A cruise is a vacation. And a person who has paid the cruise fare should be able to dress like they are on vacation.

If you are retired. That is a differant story. Dress up if you want and don'y pay any attention to those that don't. Life is too short.

Cheers

General Max

Like Peaches said, it is a vacation you CHOSE to go on and you knew the requirements ahead of time. When you are on a land vacation and go to a nice restaurant - do you feel that their tie and coat rules can be ignored BECAUSE you are on a vacation? Why is the focus on ME and What I Want rather than following the rules?

In answer to OP:

Yes

Yes

Yes

For that matter, it's not a funeral or a job interview, either. It's a VACATION.

Come on.

you are correct; it is a vacation. It is a vacation that has an expectation that a dress code be met on certain evenings. It would be similiar to a land based resort that has restrictions on the use of its facilities or a fine restaurant that has a dress code. As such, customers of these locations, along with passengers of a cruise, know very well what the expectations of the establishment are before they make the decision to frequent that establishment or purchase tickets for a cruise. I have no problem with someone not wanting to dress up for formal night but you should expect to have your evening meal in the lido restaurant or through room service. By the way, it's my vacation too. :)

In response to the question...

YES

YES

YES

Boy, this is another hot tamale subject.

Sorry to all the fancy pants, but I'm with General Max and Lucky Girl on this one. If you like to dress up, then knock yourself out. I follow the dress code because I choose to do so and it is kind of fun to get dressed up for no reason sometimes, somehow. But do I care if a bunch of guys on vacation want to wear their ballcaps and be goofs at their table? Like the guy said on Police Acadamy: "Lighten up, Frances!"

Probably the same guys that don't follow the dress code also are the booze smugglers. Ooops, I opened up another can of tamales. ¡Adiós!

I answer yes to all three of the OP's questions. I know it's a vacation. But if I'm on vacation and want to visit a church in most of Europe (Italy especially) I'm expected to wear long pants and have my shoulders covered. Should I be the "ugly American" and make a "It's MY vacation and I'll dress as I want" scene? And yes, I know a cruise ship is not a church/cathedral/synagogue. But a dress code is a dress code is a dress code. If you don't like it, take a Windjammer barefoot cruise!

Should people who dress informally on formal dining nights be told to leave?

Should people wearing jeans or jogging suits at any dining room dinner be told to leave?

Should men be told to remove their hats in the dining room?

I think so, do you?

Yes, yes and yes.

And for those who don't agree, find some other form of vacation and leave cruising to us that do follow the rules that we agreed to when we booked. Like the previous poster said, those that don't follow drss code rules more than likely don't follow any rule that they think "cramps their style". And, yes it is my vacation too.

Richard

Yes to the questions posed.

I don't know when some males began to think it was acceptable to wear a hat (cap) in a dining room. I always want to walk over and bat it off, but don't care to provoke a fight.

I was always told to remove a hat (cap) indoors, unless on duty and armed.

seems to me that for those who make the analogy to land based restaurants and touring churches in europe, the difference is that in those venues the mgmt does see to it that the codes are enforced.

Your frustration here might better be directed at HAL who won't take a stand fleet wide with their staff to ENFORCE the dress code (at least during dinner). Until then, all your hand wringing and "get thee to windjammer/ carnival" attitudes will have little effect in changing things.

HAL should not tolerate dress code violators. If you do not want to follow the dress code, then don't go on a cruise or go on Carnival. HAL should try to maintain a level of formality on their ships to try to keeps them nice and not feel like a party ship. Some of those people who "think that it is formal if their baseball cap has the peak facing forward" should know that they are going on a cruise that has a dress code when they book with HAL. If you want a very casual vacation, then don't cruise HAL. Short-sleeved shirts and some casual attire should be accepted on warm-weather cruises, but the dress code should be strictly enforced on all others. In any situation, men need to realize that they are not going to a baseball game, and should not be allowed to wear hats in the dining room.

So, to those who don't have any sensibility or sense of etiquette, y'all don't mind if i just keep on my bathing suit (after all it is a suit & black) to eat dinner in do you? I have a matching sarong (wrap) and I am sure my diamond pendant & earrings will go nicely too.

If you want to be a member of the club--FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED RULES!

It won't kill you to dress appropriately. If you really insist on being relaxed go on a ship that permits it.

Enough casual dress & attitude!

It would be very easy to enforce the dress code if HAL wanted to do so. I noticed as we walked into the dining room each night on the "Z" (5/14) that there were six officers in white welcoming us as we came in. What they should have done is check to see if the passengers were following the dress code and singleing out the offenders and talk to them on the side. But no, they let people with caps go by and well as others with shorts and blue jeans. There were even men without suits or tuxes walking in on formal night as well as women without formal dresses on. Even though I saw more men with tuxes on during this particular cruise, I saw more dress enforcement on the Princess ships we cruised with in the past.

Ray

Ray

"If you don't want to follow the rules or dress codes, there are cruise lines out there that would be more to your liking."

Is it just possible that the folks who don't follow the "rules" or dress code are perfectly happy on HAL? And maybe spend none of their time fretting about why the rest of you would want to wear tuxes or evening gowns? Or fail to get their shorts in a knot over someone bringing a contraband bottle of booze in their suitcase?

Who is having a better vacation? The folks spending their day going "tsk tsk" and bemoaning the decline of civilization or the carefree shorts and t-shirt guy and his mrs, working on their 4th rum punch of the day?

Archived