Dress Code Offenders

Boobaby

I'm with peaches-you might feel different once you see a Carnival cruiser next to a HAL cruiser.

Dakrewser- the hat that is shown in the picture is a more formal type of hat that DOES involve a religion, not a baseball hat. If a person's religion or culture requires them to wear a hat, than at least wear something a bit nice-baseball hats are the sloppiest and most casual hats around-you shouldn't wear them under any circumstances at dinners on HAL cruise ships.

;)

Linda,

I wasnt aiming my post directly at you in any way. I was speaking in general to other posts on this board.

I put the jeans thing at the end of my post just to be different and get a little laughter out of someone around here... ;)

I completely understand what you and peaches are talking about, however there will always be people who wont understand your point of view. I completely understand what you are saying and you have a VERY VALID POINT!!! However, I am very open minded and always hear both sides.. Am with the minority on this because vacation is vacation, am not saying drag yourself into the dining room like if you just got off the beach or out of bed, but I dont think you have to go all out..

Bsan

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me. Perhaps we will meet one day, onboard a ship. I think we would enjoy each other's company.

Linda

I think Carnival is a great line, i've never had any problems, its not a "party" ship or "wal-mart" type ship as some of you have stated on this board.. I have also heard great things about HAL and I cant wait to try it soon.. ;)

Bsan, I'm glad you enjoy Carnival, I truly am! I've heard other people who I consider friends say great things about them also. I've tried them twice (both times out of LA to Mexico) and it was a disaster. Especially the 3-day Ensenada cruise is well known out here for being a real authentic "booze cruise". We had fights breaking out among passengers who were obviously to far gone to realize the stupidity of their actions and would have easily spent six hours in the gray bar hotel on terra firma.

On the other cruise a fight broke out between security staff and a Carnival employee right in the middle of the dining room. The guy had to be handcuffed and taken away. Those experiences were enough for me as far as Carnival was concerned. It might just be that this occurs only on the LA ships since I've never taken Carnival out of Florida or anywhere else. And you seem to confirm that. I'm glad that we all have a choice on what line to take as none are perfect and each offers his own experience. As stated, keep enjoying Carnival and I'd be very interested to hear about your experience after your first HAL cruise.:)

Take care and be safe

John

Bsan1221

Thank you :)

Why is everyone so down on Carnival?????

I have been on several and they were wonderful. The food was excellent, the service was great and the people were very friendly.

Sure there were dress code offenders and smoking area offenders , and infants in pool offenders, and booze smuggleing offenders. But according to these boards there are plenty of those here on HAL and every other line from what I have seen.

I like the "compare a Carnival cruiser to a HAL cruiser"

Why? a Hal Cruiser wears Tommy Hilfiger Jeans in the dining room and a Carnival cruiser wears Levis????

A Hal cruiser smuggles Chivas Regal in his luggage and a Carnival cruiser smuggles Bud Light?????

People are people

JOHN,

Very well said, I am pretty new here myself, but have been lurking and learning from these boards for a while.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. You can never control what everyone else on the ship will be doing.

So as long as they are not personally hurting you, just live and let live and enjoy your cruise.

The time on a cruise goes by too quickly to waste one second of it worrying what someone else is wearing

VERY GOOD POINT!~!!!! :)

:)

Bsan

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me. Perhaps we will meet one day, onboard a ship. I think we would enjoy each other's company.

Linda

Linda:

I think the way you directed your post was great, very respectful and I appreciate that. I grealy appreciate everyones responses and comments.. ;)

I hope one day to meet aboard a HAL ship, my co-workers tell me great things... :)

Copper10-8

I have heard the same things about the 3 and 4 day cruises, although I have never been on one. Those type of cruises tend to be used more as party boats and weekend getaways for people local to the pier area, more than a family vacation. The same with some of the 3-4 dayers that leave here out of NYC to Bermuda and such.

I have been on several 7 day cruises and have NEVER seen anything like that.

Should people who dress informally on formal dining nights be told to leave?

Yes, they should be directed to the Lido for casual dining or room service. Otherwise, they should be asked to dress formally.

Should people wearing jeans or jogging suits at any dining room dinner be told to leave?

Yes

Should men be told to remove their hats in the dining room?

Yes, and no baseball caps on women either.

I think so, do you?

Completely agree with you. Dress codes need to be inforced on a cruise ship, just like they would be at any fine dining resturant or occasion.

Bsan, I'm glad you enjoy Carnival, I truly am! I've heard other people who I consider friends say great things about them also. I've tried them twice (both times out of LA to Mexico) and it was a disaster. Especially the 3-day Ensenada cruise is well known out here for being a real authentic "booze cruise". We had fights breaking out among passengers who were obviously to far gone to realize the stupidity of their actions and would have easily spent six hours in the gray bar hotel on terra firma.

On the other cruise a fight broke out between security staff and a Carnival employee right in the middle of the dining room. The guy had to be handcuffed and taken away. Those experiences were enough for me as far as Carnival was concerned. It might just be that this occurs only on the LA ships since I've never taken Carnival out of Florida or anywhere else. And you seem to confirm that. I'm glad that we all have a choice on what line to take as none are perfect and each offers his own experience. As stated, keep enjoying Carnival and I'd be very interested to hear about your experience after your first HAL cruise.:)

John

Wow!!!

If that happened on any of the cruises I was on it would be likely I wouldnt return either.

I have had 3 trips out of the Miami port since I live 15 mins away from it and have never seen anything like that.

My other two cruises where to hawaii and alaska and the crowd wasnt "rowdy". Everyone else was 40 to 50 years my elder, but they where very sweet and wonderful people.. Unless you count that great gradmother who got drunk by the pool... ummmm... just kidding... ;)

Anyway, I cant wait to try HAL I wanted to this year but hubby and I decided on Princess since they offered tahiti... ;) but I promise you soon I will and will let you know my experiences and I am sure they will be great.

Peaches, I agree with you completely and you put it very nicely rather then coming out (as I would have) and simply said that some people are just plain selfish.

I don't think any of us said it "ruins" our cruise if people don't dress properly. Did I miss a post? I'm not sure why that keeps coming up in some posts.

And many of you are right ... it doesn't make a big difference when a few (and at this point in my experience it's only a few) don't follow the dress code. Frankly, I pay no attention to them and so far I've not been on one cruise that someone shows up at dinner in jeans.

But the point is that like everything else little by little by little, fewer and fewer will follow the dress code. So each time we step on a cruiseship fewer will wear formal attire to dinner because the last time they cruised they saw someone dressed down on formal night.

Eventually, the casual dressers will win out. If the dress code is not enforced, this is definitely what will happen as it has in our society. We have only to look around us in churches, travelling on planes, going to school, or simply going to a local restaurant to see what has happened. In many companies, men who used to dress in a suit and tie no longer are required to do so.

I've watched this happen too often not to know the eventual outcome and that is why, dear readers, that some of us will take the time to keep stressing how important it is to us to have this one last bastion of formality in our lives. Please don't take it away from us.

You can go just about anywhere these days as casual as you like. Is it really so terribly much to ask to let those of us who enjoy getting dressed up and feeling grand to be afforded a cruiseline where we can do that without spending an arm, a leg and our firstborn to do it? I'm asking this sincerely. Is it really so much to ask?

Bsan1221

Thank you :)

Why is everyone so down on Carnival?????

I have been on several and they were wonderful. The food was excellent, the service was great and the people were very friendly.

Sure there were dress code offenders and smoking area offenders , and infants in pool offenders, and booze smuggleing offenders. But according to these boards there are plenty of those here on HAL and every other line from what I have seen.

I like the "compare a Carnival cruiser to a HAL cruiser"

Why? a Hal Cruiser wears Tommy Hilfiger Jeans in the dining room and a Carnival cruiser wears Levis????

A Hal cruiser smuggles Chivas Regal in his luggage and a Carnival cruiser smuggles Bud Light?????

People are people

Levis?? Nope sorry, not for me.. LOL.

Bug Light??? I dont think so!!!!! ;)

And I to cannot stand deck chair hoggers who save 9 chairs for a family of 4, :mad: I cant stand when people smoke during the shows and I cannot stand to see infants in diapers in the hot tub :mad: (just because their skin is to sensitive to the heat)...

Then again people will say they are on vacation and do what they want... I wont ever win... ;)

Oh I agree 100%

I hate all those things you mentioned and more. Including Bud Light *LOL*

But what I was getting at is the insinuation that these things are attributted to Carnival cruisers, when it is all over, on every cruise line.

Levis?? Nope sorry, not for me.. LOL.

Bug Light??? I dont think so!!!!! ;)

And I to cannot stand deck chair hoggers who save 9 chairs for a family of 4, :mad: I cant stand when people smoke during the shows and I cannot stand to see infants in diapers in the hot tub :mad: (just because their skin is to sensitive to the heat)...

Then again people will say they are on vacation and do what they want... I wont ever win... ;)

OK, I'll give you Bud Light (yugh) but what's wrong with Levis? They fit prety good ;)

I'm with you on the chair hoggers that take off for an hour or more and leave a book (or something else) on their chair(s). HAL makes it pretty clear in the daily program and in announcements by the CD after the show that the reserving of deck chairs is not allowed. People do it anyway so I tend to ignore those books and place them on the floor when all chairs are taken and/or "reserved". "Man has to adapt, improvise and overcome"

John

I made this mistake of mentioning the discussions here to the Mrs. She went beserk :eek: when I mentioned 'the shorts not allowed in the dining room'. I explained it happened a year ago and no one has mentioned it since. I told herShip Services said it was up to the maitre'd.

She proceeded to spend the next 10 minutes on hold waiting to be put through to Ship Sevices. She was told shorts were exceptable in the dining for breakfast and lunch. At least she feels better. I told her not to worry, but you know how it goes sometimes.:rolleyes:

I like the casual nights, I even like the formal nights. What I really don't care for are the informal nights. I try to pack light and for me anyway it's an annoyance to have to pack an additional set of clothes for informal nights. The difference between resort casual and informal is a pretty grey area these days so why not abandon the informal and just have resort casual and formal nights. I think that would eliminate a lot of the confusion over the dress code issuess on HAL.

Odd Ball, as we mentioned above, you can call Ship's Services 10 times and you'll get 10 different answers. The fact is, and what they will always tell you, whether or not you're allowed in the Dining Room is up to the Maitre D'. It's "his" dining room. If he says you're not appropriately dressed, he will ask you to leave.

But I very much doubt you or Mrs. Odd Ball have anything to worry about. I'm sure this was an isolated incident, but it does point out the confusion that can arise from what is posted as well as any info you get from HAL Ship's Services. They're terribly nice, but it can get confusing.

OK, I'll give you Bud Light (yugh) but what's wrong with Levis? They fit prety good ;)
They just dont make them in my size...

I'm with you on the chair hoggers that take off for an hour or more and leave a book (or something else) on their chair(s). HAL makes it pretty clear in the daily program and in announcements by the CD after the show that the reserving of deck chairs is not allowed. People do it anyway so I tend to ignore those books and place them on the floor when all chairs are taken and/or "reserved". "Man has to adapt, improvise and overcome"

Am with you on this one...

I cant stand people who take 3 chairs and spread 1 towel over all three to save them.. Thats just not right.. I personally dont spend time in the sun on my cruises, 15 mins a day at most, I burn easily, but i dont think thats fair to anyone else.

Odd Ball, as we mentioned above, you can call Ship's Services 10 times and you'll get 10 different answers. The fact is, and what they will always tell you, whether or not you're allowed in the Dining Room is up to the Maitre D'. It's "his" dining room. If he says you're not appropriately dressed, he will ask you to leave.

But I very much doubt you or Mrs. Odd Ball have anything to worry about. I'm sure this was an isolated incident, but it does point out the confusion that can arise from what is posted as well as any info you get from HAL Ship's Services. They're terribly nice, but it can get confusing.

At this point, what is important is the Mrs. is satisfied with the answer she received.

why not abandon the informal and just have resort casual and formal nights. I think that would eliminate a lot of the confusion over the dress code issuess on HAL.

Or, HAL could abandon the casual and just have informal and formal nights. That, too, would eliminate a lot of the confusion over the dress codes.

Before the advent of the alternate, casual dining venue, and casual nights there was no problem with dress codes. Guests showed up properly dressed from the first night through the last. And they stayed dressed until they retired for the night, too.

Or, HAL could abandon the casual and just have informal and formal nights. That, too, would eliminate a lot of the confusion over the dress codes.

Before the advent of the alternate, casual dining venue, and casual nights there was no problem with dress codes. Guests showed up properly dressed from the first night through the last. And they stayed dressed until they retired for the night, too.

I am not so sure abandoning casual is the answer. I have seen plenty of guys wearing jeans and a sports jacket. That is their idea of being 'dressed up'.

I would much prefer to abandon the informal and go with casual and formal. This is not the answer either, but just my preference.

I like the casual nights, I even like the formal nights. What I really don't care for are the informal nights.

I think informal nights are stupid. What the heck is the difference between informal and casual? To me, informal night is just another casual night. Why not just eliminate informal and have just two designations, formal and resort casual?

Seems to make more sense to me.

I think HAL is one of the few lines that even has informal nights, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

After reading the dress code/proper attire fights for the past six months on many boards here, I have come to the conclusion that the folks who say they see nothing wrong with going against the suggested dress codes because it is their vacation are the same crowd that parks in Handicap spaces with out a tag, goes through the 10 item check out lanes with 20 items, never returns a book or video on time and complains about the fines, drives like they are the only people on the road. Well you get the idea. The sun rises and sets on them and no matter what any one says they are always right and it is always someones elses fault.

Then there is the "Can't we just get along" crowd who wouldn't be offended about anything anywhere anytime because they have been taught in our wonderful school system that having an opinion is just wrong thinking. One must always allow all types of behavior and excuse all manner of actions because it is the "right" thing to do. Pure pap.

No wonder most of the rest of the world has taken a strong dislike to the American tourist.

Archived