Dress Code Offenders

Boobaby

I'm not sure if this would be the answer, but I would abandon the informal nights because they can cause confusion. I would also make four formal nights and three casual nights to suit the people who are looking for the traditional HAL elegant experience. It would also suit the people who want to dress semi-casual on the three casual nights. For the casual nights, HAL should lock down on shorts, tank tops, and especially baseball hats and enforce the dress code more strictly. The people who enjoy the formal dining can go to the Pinnacle Grill/Alternative Restaurant on the casual nights if they wish.

No wonder most of the rest of the world has taken a strong dislike to the American tourist.

I have travelled most of the world and I have never found "a strong dislike to the American tourist"...Most of the world strongly disagrees with some of our governments policies but I have always been treated politely...I am sorry to hear that your experiences are different.

I think informal nights are stupid. What the heck is the difference between informal and casual? To me, informal night is just another casual night.

On informal night men are asked to wear a jacket, tie is optional. On casual nights a jacket is not required.

In otherwords:

Casual -- jacket optional

Informal -- Jacket is the "standard," tie is optional

Formal -- Jacket and Tie, Tuxedo or business suit suggested

I like informal night ... it gives me an additional night each week to wear a suit and tie and not be thought of as some kind of stuck up weirdo by the cut-off jeans and t-shirt crowd.

We didn't book our cruise on Hal because we wanted to dress up for dinner.

We booked it because it was offered as a 'special cruise' for square dancers as our National Square Dance Convention is is Portland, Oregon just before the cruise. They have requested that we NOT wear square dance clothes on the ship even tho we will be dancing on the ship several times. I do not like to dance in street clothes, but I will because I was asked to. I really am not a dress up person, but I am making some formal clothes because I was asked to wear them. DH will wear a nice suit jacket, nice slacks, dress shirt and tie, because he doesn't own a tux. Our grandson will wear a jacket, dress shirt and pants and tie. He is 12 and much prefers baggy, sloppy shorts and t-shirts, but even at 12 years of age he understand that he should do what he is asked in these circumstances.

If you come to dinner nude, you won't ruin my vacation, but don't be surprised if I grab my camera.

I don't know what the rest of the world thinks about us American tourists, but the rest of what Tumeroll said is right on.

I believe the dress codes for the three types of evenings should be published clearly, with no ambiguous language, in both the cruise docs and printed in the daily bulletin. If folks are unable to read, perhaps they will find someone who can read the bulletin to them, or else maybe they will hear it on the TV. If not, tough. The published rules for all three types of attire should be enforced as established. Informal night, no coat, you don't get into the dining room. Formal night, shirt and tie, no coat, you don't get in. Casual clothes on informal night, nope, you can't get in. Rules are rules. Yes, the kinds of folks Tumeroll is describing will be mad. Toooo bad. Soooo sad.

For the life of me, I cannot understand what it is that's so darned complicated about the dress codes. The only thing I've seen is the ambiguous language, like "suggested" and such. We see people asking about what their 15 and 17 yr old kids should wear on formal night. Answer: Formal clothes.

Quite frankly, I thoroughly detest formal nights. I have no use for them at all. As for formal nights, the words "loath" and "hatred" come to mind. However, you would never know it by looking at me, or even if sitting at my table. That goes for the other nights too. I dress appropriately because I want to eat in the main dining room, and I follow the rules. If I have to do it, everyone else should too. I would be very happy on a ship that required resort casual for dining every night of the cruise (and I mean enforced resort casual, no jeans and tank tops, etc). The two lines that have that sort of thing are out of my price range right now, so I just conform.

As for people who lack the manners of taking their hats off inside the dining room (or inside of any place for that matter) - they should be stopped upon entering and told to get rid of the hat. They could be nice and put a hat rack by the door for these people. I've seen guys with cowboy hats who never take them off in the dining room. That's not right.

Ken

Then there is the "Can't we just get along" crowd who wouldn't be offended about anything anywhere anytime because they have been taught in our wonderful school system that having an opinion is just wrong thinking.

No wonder most of the rest of the world has taken a strong dislike to the American tourist.

Well I fall in the category of Cant we Just we along, but its not because I dont have an opinion, believe me I have very strong opinions and my daily job requires it, but I am on vacation, am not there to monitor what others are wearing or start lecturing others on how they should dress. I go on with my vacation and enjoy it, whatever others wear doesnt concern me.. ;)

I do agree that the dress code rules are there for a reason but if others dont follow it am not there to be the fashion police.. ;)

As for strong dislike to american tourist... Never had that problem ;)

Bsan1221,

My sentiments exactly, I follow the rules and conduct myself accordingly, but I am not in charge of what others do or wear. As long as what they are doing isn't posing physical harm to me personally, I am no one elses policeman. And I too have really strong opinions on just about everything. *LOL*

Also in my albeit limited experiences in Euope, I hav never had any problems either

I've seen guys with cowboy hats who never take them off in the dining room. That's not right.

Ken

I was with you right up thru this line. But, in some parts of the US, wearing your Stetson to dinner (when not at home) is considered very acceptable even in the most polite society.

When in Rome, dress like the Romans....:)

After reading the dress code/proper attire fights for the past six months on many boards here, I have come to the conclusion that the folks who say they see nothing wrong with going against the suggested dress codes because it is their vacation are the same crowd that parks in Handicap spaces with out a tag, goes through the 10 item check out lanes with 20 items, never returns a book or video on time and complains about the fines, drives like they are the only people on the road. Well you get the idea. The sun rises and sets on them and no matter what any one says they are always right and it is always someones elses fault.

Then there is the "Can't we just get along" crowd who wouldn't be offended about anything anywhere anytime because they have been taught in our wonderful school system that having an opinion is just wrong thinking. One must always allow all types of behavior and excuse all manner of actions because it is the "right" thing to do. Pure pap.

No wonder most of the rest of the world has taken a strong dislike to the American tourist.[/QUOTE]

Its called "Choosing your battles" Sitting next to someone that doesn't want to go by the dress code is not a battle I choose to take on. I respect the dress code and actually enjoy it. But.....if "Most of the rest of the world" has a strong dislike for me for that....Im so sorry....I'll try to be more judgmental for them!:eek:

Hmmmm....wouldn't that be not having my own opinion???;)

I've never weighed in on dress code posts before, but it's late, I've had a long week and the urge to share is with me, so here goes...

The real problem as most have voiced here, is that HAL has a "suggested" dress code. As a teacher, trust me, any "suggested" rule (dress code) will be met with many who will use that language as an opportunity to ignore any "suggestion" of a rule (dress code.) Today I battled the dress code in my middle school classroom!

First day of school I inform the gentlemen in my classes that they MUST remove their hats and baseball caps before entering my room. It's a rule--I enforce it.

If HAL really wants to keep an elegant, formal atmoshpere on formal nights, then the ball's in their court: their dining room staff can't ignore those who ignore the prescribed attaire for the evening.

My vacation's not ruined if someone enters the dining room dressed as if they were heading to a tractor pull, but I would not be happy if they were at my table. I look forward to the lovely atmosphere of a formal evening on a cruise ship at sea. Yes, it is an extra effort to get all "spiffied up" on formal night, but the effort is worth it.

If I didn't want to participate in a formal evening, then I'd pass up the dining room that evening OR I'd select a cruise line that more fits my idea of what a vacation should be. If that means NOT getting dressed up, other cruise lines fit that bill.

Some of us choose a cruise, not just for the ports, but for the shipboard experience. Others don't buy into that concept, they want a vacation that provides transportation, entertainment, destinations and food in an inclusive package. To each his own...

HAL's delimma is that they don't want to offend anyone. In trying to broaden their appeal to more cruisers, they displease some of their most loyal customers.

I agree with Heather. If HAL allows the dress code to drift toward a more casual attaire, then one of traditional elements of cruising will be lost. IMHO, that would be a shame.

Hmmmm?

Let's take a look at these poll results (as of 7am this morning) from another thread...

Men's choice of clothing

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=173071

Only 3.27% (combined last 2 selections) do not make an effort to dress up for formal night.

Ladies choice of clothing

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=173791

Only 1.95% (combined last 2 selections) do not make an effor to dress up for formal night.

These results speak for themselves. The vast majority of HAL passengers adhere to dress code rules.

I'm in the education business, if you have a rule enforce it; if you do not enforce it, get rid of the rule.

It's OK if you want to dress like a hobo. After all, you're on VACATION. Just don't leave your stateroom. Order room service. It's a big-time sign of disrespect to the community of people aboard the ship to flaunt the dress code. It's like smoking in a crowded elevator...not dangerous (according to the latest scientific evidence) but definitely not polite either.

It's OK if you want to dress like a hobo. After all, you're on VACATION. Just don't leave your stateroom. Order room service. It's a big-time sign of disrespect to the community of people aboard the ship to flaunt the dress code. It's like smoking in a crowded elevator...not dangerous (according to the latest scientific evidence) but definitely not polite either.

Personally, I agree that no one should be dress inappropriately, however, if they do they have everyright to enjoy the same amenities the cruise ship provides, they have paid just like everyone else. :)

Yes, it may not be polite to you but it may not be polite of you to stare.. ;)

Heard a story, doubtless folklore but somehow apropos.

A woman used to go out in public with her hair in curlers, drove her husband nuts!

One day when they were going out, she tied on a scarf over her curlers and went out to ther car.

He followed about two minutes later in his undershirt, with shaving-cream-residue on his face and a towel around his neck.

She went back into the house, took out the curlers and they (lived happily ever after, I assume).

The moral of the story being that some people don't realize how stupid they look when they're dressed inappropriately, whatever the occasion.

Lane

Did the man go back in the house, put a shirt over his T-shirt, wipe off his face and jettison the towel? ;)

I recently saw a middle-aged woman in curlers shopping at a local department store. I tried not to stare ... but I can't remember the last time I saw someone do that! :eek:

Of course, this is Florida and you see lots of strange stuff down here.

Personally, I agree that no one should be dress inappropriately, however, if they do they have everyright to enjoy the same amenities the cruise ship provides, they have paid just like everyone else. :)

Correct, however there is a concern, I may have to share a table with them. Why should I have to do this??????? Lido restaurant is open why not invite thse passengers who do not want to follow the dress code to eat there!!!!!!!!

Correct, however there is a concern, I may have to share a table with them. Why should I have to do this??????? Lido restaurant is open why not invite thse passengers who do not want to follow the dress code to eat there!!!!!!!!

Personally, I would eat with them.. I personally dont mind. No one is going to ruin my dinner.. ;) If they dont follow the dress code its up to them..

On my last 7 day cruise 2 weeks ago I was told we only had one formal night, so of course I packed my pretty pink suit (i looked very nice I must say) and I packed hubbys black suit, shirt and tie and we dress up went to eat, took pictures, went to the show. Imagine my surprise when I find out 3 days later we had another formal night :eek: that NO ONE at the cruiseline bother to tell me about and most people where taken by surprise. I refuse to go up and eat on the Lido deck I love dinner its part of my "FUN" anyhow, I ended up going to dinner in "resort casual" clothing. The lovely couple we sat with showed up and I apologized to them for dressing inappropriately seeing them in formal attire (they didnt attend the first formal night so they had the clothing) and they said "Oh please dont worry about it" and that was the end of that... We had a great dinner and lovely conversation..

This was something that happened because I wasnt informed but I loved the way my tablemates were so nice about it and it was gone and forgotten.. Am just saying you never know what certain peoples circumstances are... and maybe be a little more accepting.. ;)

Given the percentages Dippy posted for us, I would conclude that most of the people fighting dress codes on this thread either aren't cruising at all or not cruising together. So that's a big relief. Seriously, I'm happy to read that it's such a small group and they're just gathered here for a good old fashioned debate:D .

As I said earlier, I have not noticed this problem on the ships we've been on so if people are dressing down on formal nights, they escape my view.

Tumeroll, I loved your post. Very well said. As far as how the American people as a whole are viewed overseas, you're absolutely right. Are some of us treated well and wonderfully as individuals? Of course ... absolutely! But overall they see us as loud, obnoxious barbarians. Believe me, their opinion of Americans is not limited to a criticism of our government. We are basically disliked because we are basically envied.

And rightly so ... it's an amazingly wonderful country where we get to say whatever we want whenever we want and share our opinions and dissentions with just about anyone:D ... up to and including these boards;) .

Personally, I would eat with them.. I personally dont mind. No one is going to ruin my dinner.. ;) If they dont follow the dress code its up to them..

Having been on a Carnival Cruise, and as I see you have been on 5 carnival cruises (no other cruise line experience), I can see how your opinion of dress code may have come to be. However, I think you may be surprised as to the level of dress on your upcoming Princess cruise. By the way, I thought this thread was about the dress code on HAL.

Not all cruise lines are the same; we must compare apples to apples etc.

Even NCL who has "Freestyle Cruising" has a written expectation of dress on formal nights.

But overall they see us as loud, obnoxious barbarians. Believe me, their opinion of Americans is not limited to a criticism of our government. We are basically disliked because we are basically envied.

Heather, I have to disagree with you on this one. First of all, who are "they" as in "their opinion". Are you saying that "they" are the inhabitants of all foreign countries you've been to and they are all envious and dislike us? That has not been my experience overseas. Are there people who dislike Americans and are envious of us? Sure there are, but it has been my experience that the majority of people from different countries are curious, friendly and open to American visitors.

Of course it helps if we, as visitors to a foreign country, don't act like we own the place. Trying to speak a little bit of their language helps also (and I mean learn a couple of words like "please" and "thank you"). We spent four days in Paris last fall and beforehand, I heard all the stories about the Parisian's atititudes towards Americans. With very few exceptions, we didn't encounter any of that. A great deal of the older generation of Europeans are still very grateful of what the Americans did for them in WWII and will never forget that. I have also seen examples of the "ugly American" who expects to be spoken to in English at all times while abroad and makes comments about "the hell hole" they are in, followed by "I can't wait to get out of this godforsaken place". It's all a matter of respecting them in their environment and treating them like we would like to be treated. It's been my experience that if you do that, you will get a lot in return.

Take care and be safe!

John

Having been on a Carnival Cruise, and as I see you have been on 5 carnival cruises (no other cruise line experience), I can see how your opinion of dress code may have come to be. However, I think you may be surprised as to the level of dress on your upcoming Princess cruise. .

Not all cruise lines are the same; we must compare apples to apples etc.

Even NCL who has "Freestyle Cruising" has a written expectation of dress on formal nights.

Yes, I am a Carnival customer... and Carnival boards have the same problems and if you have been on a Carnival cruise you would see that people dress up as nice as HAL... for whatever reason I have read on these boards certain HAL customers feel Carnival customers are "beneth them" I wont ever understand why... But oh well.. Back to the subject at hand; ;)

I feel this way not because the cruises I have been onbut because I am open minded. Also, the environment around me I live in Miami Beach and even the best restaurants dont enforce there dress code.. Why?? Its all about the money... and that is very sad same as HAL ;)

By the way when I get on my princess cruise i'll be wearing my jeans and nice blouses so dont worry about me...LOL ;)

if you have been on a Carnival cruise you would see that people dress up as nice as HAL

I would agree that those who do dress up on Carnival do dress up as nice as HAL passenger. But how would you know, you've never been on a HAL cruise. I would wager a bet that there much larger percentage of passengers on a HAL cruise that dress up in comparison to Carnival.

This thread has become very circular for me. On to the next thread.

Well, I've never been called a hobo before, but I guess if the shoe fits! On formal nites on cruises, my husband wears a suit and I wear a nice dress (not formal - I cannot justify the cost for a cruise - after my daughter gets married, then maybe I'll have one close to a formal). I leave my blue jeans at home, we shave, shower, use deodorant and cologne and just try to enjoy the atmosphere - I will try not to be offended if some HAL cruisers look down their noses at me because of the attire I am wearing. We chose HAL this time because of the ports and sea days, and I hope we don't regret it, but I think we will get by. A cruise is a vacation to us - we work hard to pay for it, so you may see us in shorts during the day - of course with shoes on and a cover up when in the Lido - and you may see us in the evening with nice slacks and shirts on - we enjoy be comfortable, but we also dress nicely on formal nights - I guess just not up to some people's standards!

Thanks

Peggy

Archived