Dress Code Offenders

Boobaby

I follow the dress code because I choose to do so and it is kind of fun to get dressed up for no reason sometimes, somehow.

I am guessing then, Rich Guy, that you are one of the "3 Stooges" who's all dressed up having that after dinner pie fight?wink.gif

Heather, who at HAL told you that they "preferred" no shorts in the dining room at breakfast or lunch? Whenever we eat there during the day I always wear Bermuda shorts and I've been doing that for 24 years. rolleyes.gif

Esme, I'm sure you understand that I have absolutely no recollection of who I talked to at Ship's Services. But if you remember, when you started that thread I was totally amazed that your friend would be turned away and at the time I posted HAL's response to me. I believe her words were something like "While we prefer more appropriate dress in the dining room, most Maitre D's do not turn away those dressed in shorts, but it is up to their discretion".

I simply said that it is ludicrous for Ships Services to tell Heather that HAL prefers no shorts in the dining room, as if that was a problem during the day.

Peaches, I couldn't agree more ... it was absolutely "ludicrous", but that is what I was told. I actually discussed it with the woman for some period of the time and she was resolute in her statement.

Odd Ball, this was all over a year ago. This is not new. I don't read the boards enough to know if it happened to anyone else. I'm only reporting what HAL Ship's Services told me. I'm sure it's not a big problem at all ... just an interesting piece of info.

For the record, I agree with EKerr about what often happens on these boards. But the funny part is that I've developed a wonderful coating over me and it all slides off now. It doesn't upset me anymore. I used to think you were all my friends and I took it personally ... but not anymore. That was just so naive of me.

So I come here now and then when I'm feeling strong and I state my opinion on stuff. It doesn't matter to me anymore that a few of you don't agree. The funny part is that until I posted, almost everyone on this thread agreed that the dress code should be enforced. Suddenly I came along and now it shouldn't. I find it all sort of amusingtongue.gif

Yes, it really did happen. There was a note from the concierge in the Suite when we arrived. We did not see anyone in the Neptune in robes, however we did see people walking around the ship wearing robes. It made me wonder if Hal would rethink giving everyone robes.

Imagine people in the Lido and the shops in robes. We even saw a man out on deck in his robe and pj's when we were viewing Kilawa at night. It was astounding. People seemed not to realise they were out in public.

Linda

Wow, I haven't seen PJ's at night, just in the Neptune...

btw - Speaking of formal dress - I wanted to let you know that I love the photo of your JL minaudiere (I forgot which thread you posted the photo and didn't get a chance to tell you), but it is beautiful. :) Do you ever worry about leaving it somewhere or losing it? I hope you got a chance to use on your last cruise, it is such a lovely accessory!

btw - I wanted to let you know that I love the photot of your JL minaudiere (I forgot which thread you posted the photo and didn't get a chance to tell you), but it is beautiful. :) Do you ever worry about leaving it somewhere or losing it? I hope you got a chance to use on your last cruise, it is such a lovely accessory!

Thank you so much!! Yes I did use it. I just adore it. I use it every chance I get. I don't really worry about leaving it or losing it. I always know where it is. It's either with me, with Chimera or someone else i know. It is also insured. After all, in the greater scheme of things, it is only a thing. In my view, things are meant to be used and enjoyed. And I do use and enjoy my things.

At home I actually keep it in my curio cabinet so I can enjoy looking at it every day.

Linda

gizmo, even if baseball caps were part of the "redneck" culture, the people who want to wear them to formal dinners on cruises still shouldn't have a right to do so and should still be forced to follow the dress code aboard nice ships. Unfortunately, some peole like that dress as if they are going to a baseball game anyways and don't care if they ruin the elegant atmosphere:( .......HAL just needs to lock down on their dress code policies and prohibit people from dressing inappropriately:)

My point exactly!

Everyone is entitled to the lifestyle of their choice. Everyone is entitled to the vacation they paid for. If you want a casual cruise, chose a casual cruise line. If you want a formal cruise, chose a formal cruise line.

I promise not to wear my formal gown on your casual cruise and ruin the casual atmosphere of your evening. i would not want to "cramp your style" or "stuffy" things up. All I ask is reciprocity. I will respect you and I ask that you respect me.

It's just that simple.

Linda

It's very sad that you let what someone wears on their vacation ruin yours. If someone decides to wear jeans to the dining room that will not ruin my cruise experience. I am there to enjoy the food, service and company, not to critize what others are wearing. ;)

Also, I don't know what I ever did that offends you so, but this kind of thing is precisely the reason I've been avoiding these boards for the past few weeks. No sooner had I posted, when I see you questioning me and using the mad face at the end of your comment - again.

I wish I'd avoided this thread too, but as I said - I get tired of seeing it.

This is ridiculous. Any comments regarding Heather's post by me were directed towards HAL and the ludicrous comments made by SHIP'S SERVICES, not by Heather. She was only repeating what she was told, which we all know is a bunch of BS coming out of Seattle. My icon CLEARLY was directed to the comment from Seattle and not to you or Heather.

Thank you so much!! Yes I did use it. I just adore it. I use it every chance I get. I don't really worry about leaving it or losing it. I always know where it is. It's either with me, with Chimera or someone else i know. It is also insured. After all, in the greater scheme of things, it is only a thing. In my view, things are meant to be used and enjoyed. And I do use and enjoy my things.

At home I actually keep it in my curio cabinet so I can enjoy looking at it every day.

Linda

I have a plain silver/crystal one that was given (left) to me and for the most part, I've just kept it stored and boxed to give to my DD someday - I've been fearful of losing crystals, but I understand they can be replaced.

I like the idea of displaying it at home - and I think I have a place for it. Thanks for sharing, that is a great idea and I hadn't thought of it. :)

There are now 142 posts on the three threads concerning the dress code. And none of those will resolve the issue. Allowing for the fact that a number of those are multiple posts by the same individuals, you likely have 80 or so individuals weighing in on this issue. Less than 10% of those are anti enforcement.

So don't you think it would be more effective and more likely to prompt the change you all seem to want, to have 70 or more of you write to HAL HQ and make your concerns known? Seems that you're doing little more here than preaching to the converted.

Now - having said that, I think enforcement in the dining room or the show lounge is a relatively easy matter. All it requires is training of staff and careful monitoring by supervisory staff, along with a consistent application of the "rules" fleetwide.

As for enforcement in other public areas, I think that would be more problematic. Do we really want ship staff roaming the public areas telling folks they are inappropriately dressed?

And in all situations, how does one deal with those who choose to seek a confrontation on the issue? Lock them in the brig? Blacklist them so that they can't book another HAL cruise? Not likely IMHO.

Seems to me that enforcement in the dining room and the show lounge would address the concerns of MOST of you.. For the diehard few where nothing short of EVERYONE in tuxes or designer gowns for the ENTIRE evening in ALL areas.. well, prepare to either be disappointed or to ask your travel agent about Crystal,SilverSea and Seaborn.

Ok then, paper and pen out... get those letters written.. and let's move on to previously unexplored territory like booze smuggling, kids in diapers in the pool and chair hogs ...

"Esme, I'm sure you understand that I have absolutely no recollection of who I talked to at Ship's Services",

Heather, sorry but I didn't read the post where you said it was Ship's Services - I guess I should have said "what Dept. did you speak to"?

As we all know information coming from Ships's services is not always accurate ;) so I never depend on them to answer my questions.

I too was astounded when my friend told me that she wasn't allowed in the DR for breakfast.

Re baseball caps - we had some jerk & his wife on one of the N ships, wear a different coloured baseball cap around the ship each day and to dinner (also to the Captain's cocktail party) a few nights, with B*LL S**T, written on each of them. After about the 3rd night wearing it in the dining room, they were asked to remove them or remove themselves. :rolleyes:

There are now 142 posts on the three threads concerning the dress code. And none of those will resolve the issue. Allowing for the fact that a number of those are multiple posts by the same individuals, you likely have 80 or so individuals weighing in on this issue. Less than 10% of those are anti enforcement.

So don't you think it would be more effective and more likely to prompt the change you all seem to want, to have 70 or more of you write to HAL HQ and make your concerns known? Seems that you're doing little more here than preaching to the converted.

Now - having said that, I think enforcement in the dining room or the show lounge is a relatively easy matter. All it requires is training of staff and careful monitoring by supervisory staff, along with a consistent application of the "rules" fleetwide.

As for enforcement in other public areas, I think that would be more problematic. Do we really want ship staff roaming the public areas telling folks they are inappropriately dressed?

And in all situations, how does one deal with those who choose to seek a confrontation on the issue? Lock them in the brig? Blacklist them so that they can't book another HAL cruise? Not likely IMHO.

GREAT POST!!!!!

:) :D

<Roaring Applause>

It's very sad that you let what someone wears on their vacation ruin yours. If someone decides to wear jeans to the dining room that will not ruin my cruise experience. I am there to enjoy the food, service and company, not to critize what others are wearing. ;)

Save your pity for someone who needs it. I never said that what someone wears will ruin my vacation. The only person who can ruin my cruise is me. You presume much to much.

Please help me understand why you would purchase a product that does not suit your lifestyle? If you want a casual cruise experience, why would you purchase a formal cruise experience and then buck the system. Why not just start out with the product that gives you what you prefer? Your way seems so self defeating and stressful. I could guess why, but that would be presumtuous.

I have asked this question before. I would really like to know the answer. Please, someone answer. It is an honest question. I do not think I am alone in wanting to know the answer.

Linda :confused:

We really don't need a paper and pen, Bsan. I post here with the full knowledge that these boards are read by HAL personnel and they are well aware of everything that is said here. I don't think any of it is really worth taking pen to paper.

If people would simply dress as "suggested", no one would have to "enforce" the code. But it doesn't do any harm for this thread to be here for all to read so that they know how many of us really do like to see people following the requested evening attire.

I'm amused by the suggestion that those of us who want to dress appropriately should look to Crystal, Silversea or Seabourne in order to enjoy that level of formality. I think a better idea is for us to insist that HAL enforce the standard the majority of us would like to enjoy.

The thread started with 3 questions and over and over I saw the answers "yes, yes & yes" .......... very few said "no".

Esme, yes you are right of course! But I sure do love those people in Ship's Services whether they give me the right information or not.:D

Linda, don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. They'd much rather just debate with you. That's really what they're here for .

Save your pity for someone who needs it. I never said that what someone wears will ruin my vacation. The only person who can ruin my cruise is me. You presume much to much.

Please help me understand why you would purchase a product that does not suit your lifestyle? If you want a casual cruise experience, why would you purchase a formal cruise experience and then buck the system. Why not just start out with the product that gives you what you prefer? Your way seems so self defeating and stressful. I could guess why, but that would be presumtuous.

I have asked this question before. I would really like to know the answer. Please, someone answer. It is an honest question. I do not think I am alone in wanting to know the answer.

Well of all this subject goes on everyboard without resolution.. Everyone will do what they wish.. We must agree to disagree.

When I books a cruise they do it because of service, reputation and ports of call. If I book a "Formal Cruise" as you say then I do it for those reasons and I will dress as I please and I invite any tablemate of mine to do the same. ;)

Additionally, I have no problem with following the guidelines in the dining room and on formal nights, but I dont see why people who dont need to be frowned upon..

I just think if someone feels like wearing jeans, or whatever they want then they should be accepted by fellow passengers. :)

I personally do not let what someone wears ruin the "ambience" of the evening or my dinner. I think people who are overly concerned with what others wear are just nosey and should look at themselves first.. :)

Also, people take this very personal and it shouldnt be. ;)

JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM!!!!! JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM!!!!! JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM!!!

Please help me understand why you would purchase a product that does not suit your lifestyle? If you want a casual cruise experience, why would you purchase a formal cruise experience and then buck the system. Why not just start out with the product that gives you what you prefer?

I've asked that question here myself until I'm blue in the face, but have finally figured it out on my own. These people, the me-me-me's, are not looking at the cruise as having to fit their lifestyle, as you and I are. They want a ship at the right price, sailing to the right place. That's it, that's all there is, folks.

The lifestyle of the ship doesn't matter and is not a consideration. They are going to dress and act exactly like they please, when they please, and where they please. So what does it matter if the ship and other pax have a different style or if they are asked to abide by that style. They know they are NOT going to do anything except what they want to anyway, so it doesn't matter what ship they book.

We who abide by the rules and standards of our location are the ones out of step nowadays. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I posted before BSAN's post came on the board, but didn't I hit the nail on the head. There is your reason stated very plainly- I'll do what I want and if you don't like it, ts.

I've asked that question here myself until I'm blue in the face, but have finally figured it out on my own. These people, the me-me-me's, are not looking at the cruise as having to fit their lifestyle, as you and I are. They want a ship at the right price, sailing to the right place. That's it, that's all there is, folks.

The lifestyle of the ship doesn't matter and is not a consideration. They are going to dress and act exactly like they please, when they please, and where they please. So what does it matter if the ship and other pax have a different style or if they are asked to abide by that style. They know they are NOT going to do anything except what they want to anyway, so it doesn't matter what ship they book.

We who abide by the rules and standards of our location are the ones out of step nowadays. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I posted before BSAN's post came on the board, but didn't I hit the nail on the head. There is your reason stated very plainly- I'll do what I want and if you don't like it, ts.

Just because am the minority doesnt mean I dont abide by the rules and guidelines.. I love dressing up on the cruises I think its great, but I dont get offended if someone doesnt what someone else wears or does on their cruise doent concern me.. Am on a cruise to enjoy myself with my family and new found friends.

I remember the dress code wars in the schools in the '60's and the issue of long hair. Perhaps some of you do too. I think we learned that hair length and style of dress does not reflect, necessairly, the inner convictions of the person in question.

I have read and re-read HAL's "dress code" and find it not much of an enforcable code, but a set of guidelines. I would think that if 'dress code police', as some of you are close to suggesting, were to deny admission based on these guidelines, they would be in court very soon.

I think the issue might be that some of you do not like the guidelines as HAL has written them and would love to see some really rigid rules with teeth in them. At least it reads that way to me.

But is this not a vacation? Is my day or evening ruined if I am in a tux and the fellow next to me is in a sports coat? No, not for me. For me it is all about his overall behavior, not the type of coat (or shirt) he is wearing and I don't read into his dress that he is flaunting the system and therefore must be nearly evil.:)

Just because am the minority doesnt mean I dont abide by the rules and guidelines.. I love dressing up on the cruises I think its great, but I dont get offended if someone doesnt what someone else wears or does on their cruise doent concern me.. Am on a cruise to enjoy myself with my family and new found friends.

You might feel different when you sail on a HAL ship and get off Carnival.

Wowie, hot topic! :rolleyes:

Being brand new to this board, I had no idea that this single topic can cause so many passionate responses. A true learning experience!

People not adhering to the suggested dress code certainly will not ruin my vacation. Like Peaches so eloquantly stated, some people are going to dress and act exactly like they please, when they please, and where they please. They do this knowing full well that a certain dress code exists on board the ship but, for whatever reason, don't agree with it and/or choose to ignore it. It's been my experience, as has been stated here, that the vast majority will adhere to the dress code so why let a few that don't ruin a great vacation? As long as the cruise line does not enforce the code (or is inconsistent in enforcing it), nothing else will be done so, don't let it get to you. It's really no big deal. As far as the guy waering the "BS" baseball hat in different colors, his collection would have been floating on the ocean (with appologies to the environementalists) after the 2nd day.

I've seen HAL staff (the security officer himself) get into a huge argument with a set of parents whose teenage children where in the Crow's Nest at 0100 hours after they were advised that their kids, being minors, were no longer welcome there and had to leave. HAL, and I'm sure, other lines, don't like to get into arguments with pax so I don't think you'll see them jumping at the bit to consistently begin enforcing dress codes in the dining and show rooms.

Again, I'm new here, but from what I've read, I don't think this topic will die off soon so, in the mean time, don't sweat it and enjoy your cruise

vacation(s).

Take care and be safe!

John

Well of all this subject goes on everyboard without resolution.. Everyone will do what they wish.. We must agree to disagree.

When I books a cruise they do it because of service, reputation and ports of call. If I book a "Formal Cruise" as you say then I do it for those reasons and I will dress as I please and I invite any tablemate of mine to do the same. ;)

Additionally, I have no problem with following the guidelines in the dining room and on formal nights, but I dont see why people who dont need to be frowned upon..

I just think if someone feels like wearing jeans, or whatever they want then they should be accepted by fellow passengers. :)

I personally do not let what someone wears ruin the "ambience" of the evening or my dinner. I think people who are overly concerned with what others wear are just nosey and should look at themselves first.. :)

Also, people take this very personal and it shouldnt be. ;)

JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM!!!!! JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM!!!!! JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM!!!

Thanks for the answer. If it is not all that important to you, help me understand the cheer at the end of your post? Why do you seem to care so much about the jeans in the dining room issue?

Also, just to clear the record, I do not recall anyone saying they did not accept anyone because of what they were wearing. I for one do not judge a person based on what they wear. Do you, since you are the one who brought this up?

Also, I am feeling kind of judged here. I am not nosey. Never have been. I thought I made it very clear I was just asking some questions for information.

Linda

Peaches,

I do think you hit the nail right on the head. There are people who do not consider the lifestyle of the ship or cruise line. They book according to price, itinerary, etc. Therefore, they do not understand what we are talking about when we are upset about the way they dress on formal night, or any other aspect of things like dress codes.

They accuse us of being judgemental because they have no understanding of what we are even talking about. They also have no understanding of how judgemental they are being. (Judgemental is only when the judgement is aimed at them)

It's like the poster who could not understand how anyone could possibly enjoy getting dressed up. He said he never wanted to wear a tux and could not understand why anyone would.

It is really about respect. As I said before. I really believe I speak for many of us when I promise not to wear my gown on your casual cruise. All I ask is that you reciprocate and dress appropriately on my formal cruise.

Linda

I understand, but I was speaking of hats, not head coverings related to ones culture or religion.

And the difference between a hat

Two%20Hasidic%20men.jpg

and a religious head covering

manning.jpg

Is...what?

I've known a number of people to wear a baseball cap when their religion, culture or custom required them to cover their head...

You might feel different when you sail on a HAL ship and get off Carnival.

I doubt it.. What someone else wears doesnt ruin my cruise or my "ambience" or my dining experience... I dont bother to see what others are wearing I dont have time for that on my vacation ;)

I think Carnival is a great line, i've never had any problems, its not a "party" ship or "wal-mart" type ship as some of you have stated on this board.. I have also heard great things about HAL and I cant wait to try it soon.. ;)

JOHN,

Very well said, I am pretty new here myself, but have been lurking and learning from these boards for a while.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. You can never control what everyone else on the ship will be doing.

So as long as they are not personally hurting you, just live and let live and enjoy your cruise.

The time on a cruise goes by too quickly to waste one second of it worrying what someone else is wearing

;)

Thanks for the answer. If it is not all that important to you, help me understand the cheer at the end of your post? Why do you seem to care so much about the jeans in the dining room issue?

Also, just to clear the record, I do not recall anyone saying they did not accept anyone because of what they were wearing. I for one do not judge a person based on what they wear. Do you, since you are the one who brought this up?

Also, I am feeling kind of judged here. I am not nosey. Never have been. I thought I made it very clear I was just asking some questions for information.

Linda

Peaches,

I do think you hit the nail right on the head. There are people who do not consider the lifestyle of the ship or cruise line. They book according to price, itinerary, etc. Therefore, they do not understand what we are talking about when we are upset about the way they dress on formal night, or any other aspect of things like dress codes.

They accuse us of being judgemental because they have no understanding of what we are even talking about. They also have no understanding of how judgemental they are being. (Judgemental is only when the judgement is aimed at them)

It's like the poster who could not understand how anyone could possibly enjoy getting dressed up. He said he never wanted to wear a tux and could not understand why anyone would.

It is really about respect. As I said before. I really believe I speak for many of us when I promise not to wear my gown on your casual cruise. All I ask is that you reciprocate and dress appropriately on my formal cruise.

Linda

Linda,

I wasnt aiming my post directly at you in any way. I was speaking in general to other posts on this board.

I put the jeans thing at the end of my post just to be different and get a little laughter out of someone around here... ;)

I completely understand what you and peaches are talking about, however there will always be people who wont understand your point of view. I completely understand what you are saying and you have a VERY VALID POINT!!! However, I am very open minded and always hear both sides.. Am with the minority on this because vacation is vacation, am not saying drag yourself into the dining room like if you just got off the beach or out of bed, but I dont think you have to go all out..

JOHN,

Very well said, I am pretty new here myself, but have been lurking and learning from these boards for a while.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. You can never control what everyone else on the ship will be doing.

So as long as they are not personally hurting you, just live and let live and enjoy your cruise.

The time on a cruise goes by too quickly to waste one second of it worrying what someone else is wearing

VERY GOOD POINT!~!!!! :)

Archived