Cozumel for kids?

beckyjohns

We will be in Cozumel and are looking for a beach area that we can go to with the kids. We would prefer an all-inclusive, but that's not a deal breaker. Would like a nice beach (not too overly crowded with partiers), maybe kayaks to use or beach toys? If anyone's been to Costa Maya, we're looking for something similar to Nahoch Cay. I've heard good things about Nachi Cocum, but it sounds like kids may not be welcome there as it's a more quiet, adults oriented place.

We love Paradise Island - but you are on a Carnival cruise, right? Paradise Island is exactly what you are looking for - private island - for cruise ship guests only - kayaks - playground - water trampoline - hammocks - all inclusive. The food is good.

On RCI and X - the guests are transported by what they call "catamaran" but looks exactly like a tender.

On Carnival - the excursion uses a speed boat called the twister. Which makes it for certain ages (and abilities - it would rule out anyone who was pregnant or had neck/back issues)

I would check to see if Carnival added another way to get to Paradise Island yet for their guests.

Just got back from a New Years cruise with family and extended family; ages 6-14. We went to Mr. Sanchos. I can't begin to tell you the fun we had here. The fact that it was really reasonable for all you can eat and drink: $45 for adults and $25 for kids. They have hamocs, aqua park, for add'l fee, swim up pool bar, massages. I will always go there.

Look it up!!! I hope this helped?

The one thing I can tell you, there were a few ships there that day. There are a lot of options to choose from. We were a family of 18 and had NO problem getting chairs. The place is pretty big. As far as the menu is concerned, I have a 10 year old boy who is super "picky" when it comes to what goes in his stomach. Not only do they have a pretty good size menu, but they also have a buffet. A couple orders of nachos and guacamole along with a couple of virgin fun drinks, you are good to go.

We have been to Isla Pasion via the jet boat excursion and this was awesome. The only people on the island were the ones on our boat and the workers. We have been to Paradise Beach via taxi which we found to be very crowded and we have been to Mr. Sanchos via taxi which was less crowded than Paradise Beach but more populated than Isla Pasion. I know both Paradise Beach and Mr. Sanchos have websites so you can see what toys they have...I'm not so sure about Isla Pasion.

I adore Nachi Cocom, and haven't seen children there. If you want a lively fun place, I don't think that's it. But, if you don't mind it being laid back and quiet, then you'd be fine. In all honesty, if the beach had been full of children the first time we went, we wouldn't go back. However, I think it's fine with 1 or 2 families. But it's definitely geared toward an adult experience IMO.

I adore Nachi Cocom, and haven't seen children there. If you want a lively fun place, I don't think that's it. But, if you don't mind it being laid back and quiet, then you'd be fine. In all honesty, if the beach had been full of children the first time we went, we wouldn't go back. However, I think it's fine with 1 or 2 families. But it's definitely geared toward an adult experience IMO.

I totally understand this!!! We have little kids and while they don't need other kids around to keep them busy, I wouldn't bring them to a place that is intended for adults. It isn't fair to those people who are looking for a quiet, relaxing day.

We love Paradise Island - but you are on a Carnival cruise, right? Paradise Island is exactly what you are looking for - private island - for cruise ship guests only - kayaks - playground - water trampoline - hammocks - all inclusive. The food is good.

On RCI and X - the guests are transported by what they call "catamaran" but looks exactly like a tender.

On Carnival - the excursion uses a speed boat called the twister. Which makes it for certain ages (and abilities - it would rule out anyone who was pregnant or had neck/back issues)

I would check to see if Carnival added another way to get to Paradise Island yet for their guests.

Duh - not Paradise Island - PASSION Island.

AKA Isla Passion ;)

I must have been tired when I wrote that lol.

I have to cut in on the Nachi Cocom place...

I'm really not sure why everyone on these boards imply that Nachi is an adult only type of establishment. It is not. It is family oriented too. There are no signs at the place saying it is for adults only, their website does not state adults only, and they have rates for children on the webiste. :confused:

We were just there last month and there were 16 kids there that day...and yes, they kind of got a little rowdy and overbearing.

I think that people insinuate that it is adults only because it is a laid back, low key place. You won't find music blarring or a lot of partying going on here. It's a very nice and quiet place to relax and enjoy the view. The food was WONDERFUL. However (this is just MY opinion), it was not the place for us because the beach was unusable to us (and this is the main reason we go to a place while in port...to go to the beach. We can go to the pool any time we want). The sand there was impossible to walk in and you sunk far. The water was a quick drop as soon as you entered.

We had our 4 year old with us and it ended up being a "day at the pool" (which she enjoyed of course). She is a pretty quiet child and can entertain herself easily and does not require other children to be with her. We are a pretty quiet family and although we drink (usually only while on our cruises or out to each at a fancy restaurant on land) we don't get "drunk" or obnoxious. That was the reason we picked this place. We thought it would suit us perfect. It was nice, it wasn't for us though.

It you are interested in Nachi, then go for it. It is family friendly. If you would like to read my FULL review with TONS of pictures of Nachi, here is my link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=10

You will find the review of Nachi starting at post #379

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :) Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourself!

Oh I also wanted to add, we had considered going to Playa Mia (which was right next door to Nachi) and this is where we will proabably try out next time.

They have beach water toys (slides and stuff), a pool, and they just built a brand new water park there. I was unsure if it was going to be open by the time we cruised, so I had already booked Nachi. They did however open last month.

playa-mia-grand-beach.jpg

playa-mia-grand-beach.jpg

9694_10151374111505329_241177302_n.jpg

galeria%286%29.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

You didn't mention how old your kids are...so not sure if this is something that fits your need or not.

I know nothing about Playa Mia. Can anyone tell me about it? Or is there a website?

Yes, they have a website:

http://www.playamiacozumel.com/

They also have a facebook page as well (which is how I was getting updates on the new water park they just built).

I do know a lot of people go here for their cooking classes the offer and they absolutely LOVE the place. I wasn't really in to wanting to go for the cooking place and decided I would wait until the water park was built to go. Now I wish I would have went here instead of Nachi (since the water park part opened right before we left for our cruise).

Thank you, I've been considering Mr Sanchos. I wasn't sure if 1) it would be so crowded that we would have no space and 2) the kids would get their money's worth on the AI?

We are doing the Mr Sanchos AI next week. I agree with the previous poster... let the kids get some froo froo drinks and you'll get your monies worth for sure. Also, I have been reading recently on Mr Sanchos Facebook page that they are starting to restrict the # of people on their AI side. I think the max is 200. I will most likely post a review when we return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did Playa Mia through NCL on our New Years cruise. The place was PACKED! We couldn't find any beach chairs after walking and walking. Finally we just plopped down on some sand in the shade. We asked one of the attendants to get us chairs and we finally got two. They still had the purchase stickers on them. Our dd just played between our chairs. She didn't need one. If you're looking for quite, this is not it. I'm not sure we got our AI $$ worth, but it was fine, included transportation, which made it easy. Our ship didn't get in until 11:00 by the time we got there it was probably 12:30. Maybe if you get there earlier it would be easier to get a chair. They do have a rave and climbing "iceberg" in the water as well as snorkels and kayaks. Later we went to the aquapark. Honestly we should have gone there sooner. There is a nice section for little kids with small slides and shallow water. DD loved it. Then there was a larger pool. We could have spent more time in this area but it's hard to give up the sand too. Eating was really an after thought and on our way out we grabbed a little food. It was fun, especially for kids, but very crowded. However, I think there were 8-10 ships or something crazy, so I would think everything is crowded.

We did Mr. Sanchos last year and bought the extra wrist band for the kids to use the water park. They had a blast.

I'd be concerned about the water park if they were under 9 or so though, it is a little ways out and some of the smaller kids wouldn't be able to touch the bottom. I'd make sure they wore a life jacket just to be safe if they were younger.

The food was good there though - and my kids loved the shrimp :) I think my son had 3 orders all to himself!!! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

We took our kids ages 6,8,9,11,14 to Mr Sanchos it was a blast we did not do the all inclusive though. I'm really glad we didn't because they divide the beach up into two different areas, the all inclusive area was not near the childrens beach area. We took all the kids horseback riding which they loved. Take a camera the guides will take pics!The kids also had a blast on the water toys, there was also a lifegaurd watching the kids area. This was a great beach day!

We took our kids ages 6,8,9,11,14 to Mr Sanchos it was a blast we did not do the all inclusive though. I'm really glad we didn't because they divide the beach up into two different areas, the all inclusive area was not near the childrens beach area. We took all the kids horseback riding which they loved. Take a camera the guides will take pics!The kids also had a blast on the water toys, there was also a lifegaurd watching the kids area. This was a great beach day!

What do you mean by "children's beach area?"

• 2 weeks later...

We've chosen Nachi Cocom for our spring break with 6 and 9 year olds because

-We want guaranteed chairs under a palapa or easy access to shade since there have been some skin cancer scares recently (I don't see this as a guaranteed option for Mr. Sanchos which was the other place we considered).

-We like the quiet it appears to give. Our kids should be happy between the pool, the drinks, and playing on the beach (I like the idea of bringing sand toys).

-We don't want to chase them through a water park. They get water parks when they visit the grandparents and that's so much more stressful on us than what we want for our vacation on a cruise.

We might walk away feeling like we didn't get our money's worth, but I think it's a good place to start on our first visit to Cozumel.

Archived