Riviera - Noise in Cabins Below Terrace Cafe

mayogirl

For those of you who have sailed on the Riviera in the Penthouse cabins directly under the Terrace Cafe - did you experience and walking or scraping noise coming from above?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Winnie

Yes, we endured that loud noise every morning running 4 - 6 am. From Venice to Barcelona, then Barca to Miami, in the same penthouse cabin. Several neighbors on deck 11 also complained but it never stopped.

I noted this on four comment cards (mid cruise and disembarkation) and brought it up with the front desk. Did not hear from management. When speaking with the agents in Oceania Club (they sell future cruises) the noise problem is well known and they clearly agreed it made sense to avoid that area if you are booking a penthouse.

They advised penthouses on deck 10 - which we booked for our next Riviera cruise.

We both sleep with ear plugs but were woken up by that scraping and loud noises every single morning of our cruise starting 4 am. The odd thing is, if you walk off the area from the elevators and Terrace entrance, the area above you is carpeted.

My guess is staff are pulling chairs and tables off the carpet to clean and the scraping noise is from piling the items on the marble floor, then moving them back on to the carpet.

Either way, at penthouse prices, it is annoying and disruptive. We asked to be moved elsewhere but the front desk claimed all p/hs were sold out on both legs of our cruise (3+ weeks of that noise!) so we muddled (suffered?) through.

Hi:

We had a similar experience on Nautica below the pool and outside restaurant. Very annoying and no one would listen to you. We finally sent a letter to the executive and requested compensation for the lack of quietness during the early hours of morning. We were compensated for this inconvenience so you may wish to deal dirctly with Miami and should receive a fair hearing. You need to get to top management where decisions are made and suggest you do not give up if your situation is not rectified to your satisfaction. Good luck. Elwin

Yes, we endured that loud noise every morning running 4 - 6 am. From Venice to Barcelona, then Barca to Miami, in the same penthouse cabin. Several neighbors on deck 11 also complained but it never stopped.

I noted this on four comment cards (mid cruise and disembarkation) and brought it up with the front desk. Did not hear from management. When speaking with the agents in Oceania Club (they sell future cruises) the noise problem is well known and they clearly agreed it made sense to avoid that area if you are booking a penthouse.

They advised penthouses on deck 10 - which we booked for our next Riviera cruise.

We both sleep with ear plugs but were woken up by that scraping and loud noises every single morning of our cruise starting 4 am. The odd thing is, if you walk off the area from the elevators and Terrace entrance, the area above you is carpeted.

My guess is staff are pulling chairs and tables off the carpet to clean and the scraping noise is from piling the items on the marble floor, then moving them back on to the carpet.

Either way, at penthouse prices, it is annoying and disruptive. We asked to be moved elsewhere but the front desk claimed all p/hs were sold out on both legs of our cruise (3+ weeks of that noise!) so we muddled (suffered?) through.

I'm wondering if this problem hasn't increased over the years, especially (perhaps) with the older ships.

We were on Nautica (then the R5) with Renaissance in February 2000 when the ship was brand new (she was 3 weeks old at the time). We were in 8004 and did hear "scraping" noises early in the morning but it didn't really bother us. We just turned over and went back to sleep.

On Insignia in June 2006 we were in a VS and heard lots of "anchor" noises early in the morning, but again, it didn't really bother us.

Then again, I probably would be more sensitive to these noises now!

But it does seem to me that I am seeing more complaints about these noises than I used to. Is it because the ships are older or maybe that passengers

are fussier? (There's nothing wrong with objecting to the noise, I'm not criticizing.)

I'm just wondering if the noise IS more obtrusive than it used to be ...

(On our cruises since June 2006 we haven't been in a location where such noise could be a problem for us ...)

Mura

We were in 1176, the second PH2 from the stern, directly under the Terrace Cafe, for 10 days on Riviera's Maiden Voyage. We never heard any noise and slept like logs.

That may be the reason -- we both sleep deeply until we awake naturally, and never hear noise.

That said, we have booked a future penthouse on deck 10 because we personally didn't care for the overhang on deck 11. Our next penthouse is on deck 7.

We've been all over Marina and Riviera -- deck 7, deck 8, deck 9 (across from the concierge lounge and near the laundry), and deck 11, with deck 10 to come. We've also been all over the R ships -- deck 4, deck 7 (across from the laundry) and deck 8, with a deck 3 GTY booked (hoping for an upgrade :D). We've never experienced noise in any of the cabins, awake or aleep, and our overall impression is how quiet the Oceania cabins are.

We were in 1176, the second PH2 from the stern, directly under the Terrace Cafe, for 10 days on Riviera's Maiden Voyage. We never heard any noise and slept like logs.

That may be the reason -- we both sleep deeply until we awake naturally, and never hear noise.

That said, we have booked a future penthouse on deck 10 because we personally didn't care for the overhang on deck 11. Our next penthouse is on deck 7.

We've been all over Marina and Riviera -- deck 7, deck 8, deck 9 (across from the concierge lounge and near the laundry), and deck 11, with deck 10 to come. We've also been all over the R ships -- deck 4, deck 7 (across from the laundry) and deck 8, with a deck 3 GTY booked (hoping for an upgrade :D). We've never experienced noise in any of the cabins, awake or aleep, and our overall impression is how quiet the Oceania cabins are.

Don, on our next cruise in May, we are in 11050. This will be our first time in a PH. What do you mean by overhang on deck 11? It looks like we are over the deck area near LaReserve, which I don't think will have a noise problem.

Judy

Don, on our next cruise in May, we are in 11050. This will be our first time in a PH. What do you mean by overhang on deck 11? It looks like we are over the deck area near LaReserve, which I don't think will have a noise problem.

Judy

He is referring to Deck 12 (the Pool Deck) which overhangs Deck 11 by about 6 feet along the entire length of the ship

061836.jpg

You should be fine down on Deck 10 as there will be only passenger cabins above and below you, and the overhang is high enough above your veranda that you won't even see a shadow.

070851.jpg

He is referring to Deck 12 (the Pool Deck) which overhangs Deck 11 by about 6 feet along the entire length of the ship

061836.jpg

You should be fine down on Deck 10 as there will be only passenger cabins above and below you, and the overhang is high enough above your veranda that you won't even see a shadow.

070851.jpg

JimandStan,

We are on deck 11. What problem does the overhang create? I have read about the tunnel vision effect of the extended B cabins and I know I would not like that, but this is the first I have read about the overhang of deck 12.

Thank you for reply.

Judy

We were in 11058 on riviera Venice to Athens, under LaReserve. We heard some scrapping noise between 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. but only for 10 to 15 minutes. Think they were cleaning up after events. There is a overhang which does prevent you from looking up at more than 60 to 70 degree angle from horizontal. Not really a problem.

Judy, Deck 11 can be shadier, depending on which side you are on and in which direction the ship is going. Since most itineraries involve turning a lot, you'll likely experience some of both. I never found that a problem.

And, for the most part, the overhang is not really a visual problem, unless you want to look up. For example, when entering Kotor Bay in Montenegro, this is the image I wanted to get:

Montenegro-Kotor-Bay-Perast-15s.jpg

This what I was actually able to see:

001754.jpg

On our May, '14 cruise it may bother you in the St. Lawrence River, but you probably won't notice it at sea. Much of the St. Lawrence will probably be in the dark, anyway (it was on our last trip there). Nevertheless, I booked a PH on Deck 10 (because none of the Deck 7 PH's were available :rolleyes:).

Don, Knowing me, I think the overhang will bother me, too. I am going to see if my wonderful TA can change us to deck 10. Don't the PH cabins on deck 7 have the extended 'tunnel vision' verrandas?

Afraid we won't be able to have a PH on the 2014 cruise unless we get a really good deal! ;) I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Judy

Overhang on 11 was unexpected but not a big issue until night. For those interested, seeing the moon & evening sky alit with stars above is a challenge.

On the other hand, when it rains, you are amply protected and can sit on the balcony. Personally, I would not (and have not) book deck 11 again. We booked a penthouse on deck 10 for a future Riviera cruise that avoids the annoyance of the jutting overhang and the early morning noise from Terrace. Others may be just fine on deck 11 as is.

On our May, '14 cruise it may bother you in the St. Lawrence River, but you probably won't notice it at sea. Much of the St. Lawrence will probably be in the dark, anyway (it was on our last trip there). Nevertheless, I booked a PH on Deck 10 (because none of the Deck 7 PH's were available :rolleyes:).

In May sunrise is around 5am & sunset about 8 to 9pm

so unless you sleep during the day you will NOT be in the dark

Lyn

I have been on deck 11 several times and Stu and I really liked it..the privacy is wonderful..I eat breakfast on the balcony every day that weather permits and I love to read out there..it was not dark..Last month we were in 7128 and tho I loved the cabin and the size of the balcony, it is definitely not private with most of the balcony open to the decks above definitely no going out in your night clothes LOL and with only 4 PH cabins on deck 7 the butler was much slower responding because he was working on a higher deck..

So all this means is different strokes for different folks..

Jancruz1

• 3 months later...

We are currently booked in PH#11037 on Marina in May 2014 (Lima to New York). Concerned about the noise and overhang comments. I can't tell if 11037's location is likely to be affected by noise from Deck 12. Its a 16-day voyage and I like to really enjoy the trip and not stress about noise and views. We've only been on the R ships to date. Thanks for any insight......

We are currently booked in PH#11037 on Marina in May 2014 (Lima to New York). Concerned about the noise and overhang comments. I can't tell if 11037's location is likely to be affected by noise from Deck 12. Its a 16-day voyage and I like to really enjoy the trip and not stress about noise and views. We've only been on the R ships to date. Thanks for any insight......

The Penthouses on the R ships are located on the deck below the Pool and the Terrace Restaurant.

Deck 11 on Marina & Riviera occupies that exact same position

Oceania_Regatta_013.JPG One difference that you may notice from the R ships, is that in an effort to make it more capacious, the Pool Deck on the bigger ships has been cantilevered out, and the overhang acts as something of an awning for Deck 11.

129.JPG

Thanks for the photos. I guess we'll find out as there are no good options for changing suites at this point (already--its a year away!). I imagine that overhang is the source of the noise issues as it probably has less insulation than in the actual cabin ceilings. I'm sure the cruise will be great as always.

Archived