Using my smartphone on the ship?

My search is gone... :confused: Can anyone tell me if I can use my smart phone on the ship for a reasonable fee? I've always had just a flip phone and I would typically switch to an international type of cruise plan through my Verizon account when I cruise. But now I'm wondering if I can upload pictures and use facebook and stuff? Or will checking facebook be a crazy rate on the ship?

My search is gone... :confused: Can anyone tell me if I can use my smart phone on the ship for a reasonable fee? I've always had just a flip phone and I would typically switch to an international type of cruise plan through my Verizon account when I cruise. But now I'm wondering if I can upload pictures and use facebook and stuff? Or will checking facebook be a crazy rate on the ship?

Not a reasonable fee in my option. Cost will be 75 cents per minute. You can lower the per minute cost by purchasing a package.

Depending on what you consider "reasonable". Last I remembered, was when it works, it is at a higher "international" rate. However, go to your carrier's website and search for cellular at sea service and find out what they charge, as it is your carrier that is going to charge you (the ship is just an international cell tower, and will charge your carrier for the service).

I have used my iPhone on the last several cruises without a problem. Well, other than the data charges for wireless access. You need to be sure that you turn off data roaming so that you do not connect to the "phone" function on the ship. The extra charges will be steep. I would actually wait until going ashore and look for wifi. Then you can check and upload much faster, too.

Have fun.

It depends on whether you were planning on using your Data Plan or the ship's WIFI. WIFI is the least expensive of the two. If you try and use your data at sea, it could cost as much as $20 per MB. If you have a global data plan it could cost you as little as $25 per 100 MB...I said it could be as little. Usually there are C & A coupons for the ships WIFI. We use the WIFI and make sure the data is shutoff.

Archived