Which is the Best Trip with Bumpiings Tours

Louand66

Do you have to be a good swimmer in order to enjoy Bumpiing's tours?

which tour would you suggest for non-swimmer ?

No, only if you go to Champaign Reef for snorkeling, but I think you can rent snorkel vests the shop before you walk down to the beach. They require floatation belts at TiTou Gorge and Levi provides them. The tour you're looking at Pool, Falls, and More doesn't require any swimming.

• 2 months later...

We are considering this tour and are frequent hikers; however my husband does not like steep cliffs or dropoffs with very long drops and no railing on the trail. Is there anything like this? From the pics it looks like there is a lot of climbing around on boulders or steps through the rain forest, which would be just fine.

We are considering this tour and are frequent hikers; however my husband does not like steep cliffs or dropoffs with very long drops and no railing on the trail. Is there anything like this? From the pics it looks like there is a lot of climbing around on boulders or steps through the rain forest, which would be just fine.

You'd do fine on the Roseau Valley Tour. My adult daughter is terrified of heights and she loved it. There are areas where you can get off the trail and venture further into the woods, but not every one does that. It's a very easy hike.

• 1 month later...
We did the Pools, Falls, and More tour and loved it. Feel free to check out our blog to read about our day and see pictures: http://www.thenextjourney.com/2011/12/dominica-emerald-pool-mr-nice-trafalgar-falls/

I can not wait for my DH to read (and see the photos) that you have posted. I think we have found our Dominica tour!!! Thanks!:)

We've done the Roseau Valley Treasures, the Roseau Valley Best w/ Middleham Falls and the Pedu Temps Trail Hike, all with Levi as our guide. For your first time in Dominica I think the Valley Best would give you the most variety and a good feel for Dominica. When we went we added snorkeling at Champaign Reef.

Tell me about pedi temps, please

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Tell me about pedi temps, please

I did the Perdu Temps a few months ago. You are driven to a trail head and commence a fairly primitive hike uphill and through numerous streams. The hike is for reasonably fit people. It terminates at the home of the Barons' uncle Pomme who provides a vegetarian meal (breadfruit, grapefruit, etc) prepared without electricity, of which there is none. Uncle Pomme is very wise in the ways of nature.

The excursion is not always offered to cruise ship passengers due to the logistics of getting a guide. It is somewhat strenuous and a far cry from umbrella drinks on the beach. Personally I found it more interesting.

I did the Perdu Temps a few months ago. You are driven to a trail head and commence a fairly primitive hike uphill and through numerous streams. The hike is for reasonably fit people. It terminates at the home of the Barons' uncle Pomme who provides a vegetarian meal (breadfruit, grapefruit, etc) prepared without electricity, of which there is none. Uncle Pomme is very wise in the ways of nature.

The excursion is not always offered to cruise ship passengers due to the logistics of getting a guide. It is somewhat strenuous and a far cry from umbrella drinks on the beach. Personally I found it more interesting.

sounds very interesting to me, as well. I like my days on the beach with umbrella drinks, but also like to get active too. I am honestly tossing up between this and the extreme canyoning adventure for Dominica. Last time we were in Dominica, we did the tour with the hike to Mendenhall falls, titou gorge and Trafalgar falls. Mendenhall was challenging, but not difficult - we enjoyed it very much. Would have enjoyed it more if we hadn't hike to the top of Mt. Liamguia in St. Kitts the day before (very sore) - which is what I'm trying to decide. I want to be active and to be challenged, but I don't want to have so much lactic acid burning in my legs that I am nauseous.

We are pretty active people - work out five days a week - run regularly - have done three half marathons, two sprint distance triathlons, and a full marathon (Disney 2010! - easily hardest thing I've ever done and not likely to ever repeat), so I have no doubt we could do it. Just don't want to be miserable the next day. When you say uphill, do you mean scrambling on rocks that are waist tall all the way up or do you mean a gentle incline that might make me lean forward a bit?

sara

I didn't find the Pedu Temps trial hike to be that strenuous. Over half of it was on relatively flat ground. I found that having a walking stick helped when you got to places were the footing was a little rough. I'm 62 and not in great shape and had no problem with it. I think the Middleham Falls hike was harder.

Pump is a very interesting gentleman to meet and spend some time with. Believe me you won't find a tour this unique anywhere else - do it !

I didn't find the Pedu Temps trial hike to be that strenuous. Over half of it was on relatively flat ground. I found that having a walking stick helped when you got to places were the footing was a little rough. I'm 62 and not in great shape and had no problem with it. I think the Middleham Falls hike was harder.

Pump is a very interesting gentleman to meet and spend some time with. Believe me you won't find a tour this unique anywhere else - do it !

Concur. The trip is steady going generally uphill, some sections steeper than others, but nothing like a vertical scramble. It does require some stamina. The footing requires concentration at times.

As far as lactic acid, I found 4 miles of flat beach on St Croix (loose sand the whole way) more tiring.

You do have to splash through some streams and there is no way to avoid this, so wear appropriate footwear. Agree that Pump (Pomme) is a unique individual. His homestead is like a slice of Paradise.

I was leaning toward INTERIOR'S BEST (MINI HIKE) - Emerald Pool, Spanny Falls and Jacko Falls - having done the Roseau Valley Tour on a previous visit and hiked to Sari Sari falls some time back (when I was younger and in better shape!). However, I'm traveling with someone who has never visited Dominica before and he really wants to do the Roseau Valley Tour. So I'll be doing it again!! It provides a good all-around taste of the island. I loved it last time, so no problem doing it a second time. It just means we have to go BACK to Dominica again, to do MORE Bumpiing Tours!!! :D

It just means we have to go BACK to Dominica again, to do MORE Bumpiing Tours!!! :D

I failed to maximize my time on St Kitts last time, which prompted me to include it on the itinerary next year (along with Dominica). I don't see being forced to revisit a tropical island as much of a hardship. Let's say there are worse problems.

I failed to maximize my time on St Kitts last time, which prompted me to include it on the itinerary next year (along with Dominica). I don't see being forced to revisit a tropical island as much of a hardship. Let's say there are worse problems.

You're right - being forced to revisit a tropical island is definitely a first world problem :D. Somehow, we end up being forced to return and return and return :eek:

I wanted to throw Javin's My Island Tours out there for you to look at for St. Kitts (I'm Erniesbands DW, by the way). Our favorite St. Kitts experience! http://myislandstours.shutterfly.com/

We've booked the pedutemps tour... Levi said it is generally easier but a bit longer than Middleham falls, so I think we are ok. Now trying to decide if we want to do it private for 260 bucks or not....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

We prearranged the "Roseau Valley Treasures" tour with Bumpiing Tours (Levi Baron). $49 per person plus tip a few years ago. We tendered into Roseau. Tendering was very efficient. Levi Baron met us just outside the pier and turned us over to Gary, our awesome driver and guide for the day. Gary kept us one step ahead of most of the tours. We started our day at Wotten Waven Sulphur Springs which entailed a short walk to view small boiling pools. Then it was off to Trafalgar Falls which features two large waterfalls in the same area. There was about a 10 minutes walk through a rainforest to a viewing platform where we took pictures and then proceeded past a "Proceed Only At Your Own Risk" sign and descended down to some hot springs where we relaxed and played in several hot pools. We also got some closer views of the falls. From here we drove to Titou Gorge where part of Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 was filmed. It was an easy 10 minutes walk to the Gorge, where we got into cold mountain water and swam a short distance through a cave to a waterfall. (If you go, don't wimp out. It's worth the chill). We instantly warmed in the sun upon exiting and got toasty in a nearby hot spring. We visited the Botanical Gardens where we learned about see different plants, trees and flowers grown on the Island. A short 5-minute drive to Morne Bruce presented us an overview of the entire city of Roseau, and port, from the top of a hill. We ended the tour snorkeling at Champagne Bay, where we hired an snorkel guide for $10 to show us the fish and underwater sites just offshore. There is no way we would have seen as much without our water guide, T.J. The entire tour lasted about 7 hours. Gary kept us well hydrated with Kubuli Beer (the best local island beer we tasted on this trip) and water. Gary was also quick to stop the van for any pictures we wanted to take and often stopped to pluck a leaf, nut, fruit, branch or root for us to smell and identify as one of the many local spices grown on the island. Recommended!

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

I've contacted several people in Dominica about tours - all of them have glowing reviews. Can someone tell me how many people are typically on the Bumpiing tours? The reviews for him are great, but my daughter is blind, and might need some extra assistance in some of the areas, which has me leaning towards a private tour.

The quotes I've received for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 children 12 and 11) are below. It sounds like it comes down to choosing between a group or private tour, and then throwing a dart to select who to book with.

Bumpiing tours : $180 total, group tour

Reyno tours : $200 total, group tour

Nature Isle Explorers : $170 total, group tour

Woody (actually his "assistant") : $250, not sure if its private or group

Pepper : $320 ($280 + 40 in entrance fees), private tour

Beno : $320 ($280 + 40 in entrance fees), private tour

Sheppee tours : $300 total, private tour

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering the Roseau Valley Best (Hike) for our visit to Dominica in December. We had asked about the Pedu Temp tour and Levi responded that he didn't have anyone else booked on that one but did have 2 people booked on the Best. That would definitely affect the price!

My concern is not the hiking but the swimming. Do you have to jump into the various pools? Not sure I'd have the nerve!

Love the positive reviews of all of Levi's tours on this thread. Anyone who took the Best tour have any more insight? I'm a real chicken!

Thanks!

We are considering the Roseau Valley Best (Hike) for our visit to Dominica in December. We had asked about the Pedu Temp tour and Levi responded that he didn't have anyone else booked on that one but did have 2 people booked on the Best. That would definitely affect the price!

My concern is not the hiking but the swimming. Do you have to jump into the various pools? Not sure I'd have the nerve!

Love the positive reviews of all of Levi's tours on this thread. Anyone who took the Best tour have any more insight? I'm a real chicken!

Thanks!

No one is going to make you get in any of the pools if you don't want to. I didn't get in the one at Middleham Falls, but you would hike down to get in, then you can climb up the fall and jump if you want. Titou Gorge is walk in. At Trafalgar Falls you'll hike down to the pools, it's a nice change because they are warm springs not cold like at Titou. It's a great tour, you'll have a good time.

No one is going to make you get in any of the pools if you don't want to. I didn't get in the one at Middleham Falls, but you would hike down to get in, then you can climb up the fall and jump if you want. Titou Gorge is walk in. At Trafalgar Falls you'll hike down to the pools, it's a nice change because they are warm springs not cold like at Titou. It's a great tour, you'll have a good time.

You wade in. You don't jump in. Easy in/easy out and well worth getting in.

Thanks! Levi said the same thing, so we're booking it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived