Child Passport Question

zentmrs

Hoping someone can help. We will be cruising in February on the Niew Amsterdam in the Caribbean with my niece, who is 3 years old.

We are still waiting for her passport and hope that we will get it in time. However, if we don't, I believe she can sail with just a birth certificate - does anyone know if she can go ashore?

Look forward to hearing anyone's experiences. In the meantime, I'll hope for a reprieve from government bureaucracy. :eek:

From the CPB.gov site:

Children: Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.

You may have other issues traveling with a child that is not your own (niece). You did not mention whether or not her parent(s) are also traveling with you.

• 11 months later...
Hoping someone can help. We will be cruising in February on the Niew Amsterdam in the Caribbean with my niece, who is 3 years old.

We are still waiting for her passport and hope that we will get it in time. However, if we don't, I believe she can sail with just a birth certificate - does anyone know if she can go ashore?

Look forward to hearing anyone's experiences. In the meantime, I'll hope for a reprieve from government bureaucracy. :eek:

Since it is a closed loop cruise her birth certificate is sufficient.

Will her parents be with you? If not, find out from the cruise line what kind of notarized permission form you need in order to take her out of the country.

Really don't need a passport for an close loop cruise.

U.S. citizens with a state-issued birth certificate don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise that leaves from the U.S. Everyone else does.

Besides, the OP took their cruise a year ago.