Visas for Turkey

We'll be on The Navigator of the Seas out of Rome in April. Somewhere I thought I saw people need visas for Turkey (we'll be in Ephesus one day).

I'm thinking the cruise line would take care of that kind of thing if we needed it, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know?

As many posts here will confirm, you do NOT need a visa for a port stop in Turkey unless your cruise starts or ends there.

If your cruise starts in Turkey and you are flying in, it is a simple matter to purchase a visa stamp in the airport. The cost, I believe is still $20 (or 15 euro if you prefer to pay that way).

If your cruise ends in Turkey and you are flying out, most cruise lines help passengers arrange to get the necessary visa.

• 2 months later...

According to travel.state.gov: ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You need a passport and visa to travel to Turkey. Passports should be valid for at least 90 days from the date of entry into Turkey and must have enough blank space to allow for Turkish entry and exit stamps. Beginning on January 1, 2013, if there is not enough space for entry and exit stamps in your passport, you will be denied entry into Turkey. If you are traveling as a tourist, you can purchase a tourist visa at a Turkish Embassy or Consulate outside of Turkey, or you can purchase a sticker visa at the Turkish airport or other port of entry for $20 (U.S.) cash. There is one exception: foreigners who are traveling to Turkey by cruise ship are allowed to enter Turkey without a visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with permission given by the local security authorities at the port of entry. For additional information, please visit the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs Frequently Asked Questions website. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html#entry_requirements.

I just spoke with the Turkish gov't call center 1-888-566-7656 (located in Ankara!) who confirmed that if you enter Turkey for less than 72 hrs., a visa isn't required, i.e., a port stop in Ephesus.

The cruise we're contemplating for next year ends in Istanbul. Since we've been there about 5 times, we'll probably just fly out the same day. But even if we have to overnight in order to make our plane connection, we still don't need a visa as it'll be less than 72 hrs.

Visas can be issued for longer periods at entry points, i.e., Istanbul port for $20.

According to travel.state.gov: ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You need a passport and visa to travel to Turkey. Passports should be valid for at least 90 days from the date of entry into Turkey and must have enough blank space to allow for Turkish entry and exit stamps. Beginning on January 1, 2013, if there is not enough space for entry and exit stamps in your passport, you will be denied entry into Turkey. If you are traveling as a tourist, you can purchase a tourist visa at a Turkish Embassy or Consulate outside of Turkey, or you can purchase a sticker visa at the Turkish airport or other port of entry for $20 (U.S.) cash. There is one exception: foreigners who are traveling to Turkey by cruise ship are allowed to enter Turkey without a visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with permission given by the local security authorities at the port of entry. For additional information, please visit the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs Frequently Asked Questions website. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html#entry_requirements.

I just spoke with the Turkish gov't call center 1-888-566-7656 (located in Ankara!) who confirmed that if you enter Turkey for less than 72 hrs., a visa isn't required, i.e., a port stop in Ephesus.

The cruise we're contemplating for next year ends in Istanbul. Since we've been there about 5 times, we'll probably just fly out the same day. But even if we have to overnight in order to make our plane connection, we still don't need a visa as it'll be less than 72 hrs.

Visas can be issued for longer periods at entry points, i.e., Istanbul port for $20.

Best put aside $20 now, doll, cos you're gonna need it. :p

Those 72 hours only apply to arrival and departure by cruise ship (or certain ferries) regardless of what you were told by a govt rep.

Since you'll be disembarking in Istanbul & flying out I'm 99% certain you'll need a visa. Even if you went direct from ship to airport.

But they're available on the ship or at the port, so don't buy ahead on my say-so ;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Best put aside $20 now, doll, cos you're gonna need it. :p

Those 72 hours only apply to arrival and departure by cruise ship (or certain ferries) regardless of what you were told by a govt rep.

Since you'll be disembarking in Istanbul & flying out I'm 99% certain you'll need a visa. Even if you went direct from ship to airport.

But they're available on the ship or at the port, so don't buy ahead on my say-so ;)

It is 100% that a visa will be needed in this case. You are correct that the 72 hours only applies if arriving and departing by the same cruise ship. The rep probably got confused by the Ephesus port stop and did not understand they were flying out of Istanbul.

Edited by Charles4515

• 6 months later...

After exerting much due diligence, I can confirm the following with regard to CRUISE Visa Requirements in Turkey.

From my past experience, you only need a visa if Turkey is either your point of embarkation or debarkation for the cruise - i.e. if the cruise starts or ends in Turkey.

If your cruise does NOT originate or terminate in Turkey, and you are passing through (in transit) for 72 hours or less, you do NOT need a VISA for a day trip in any Turkish port.

My question regarding the above to the "authorities" was posed as follows on October 4th, 2013:

I am an American citizen with an American passport. I am taking a CRUISE from Rome to Venice. The ship ports in Kusadasi and I wish to tour Ephesus for the day. Am I required to obtain an E-Visa for this visit?

I called Celebrity at 1-800-647-2251 and they told me as long as my cruise did not originate or terminate in Turkey, I DID NOT need any visa.

And to be absolutely sure: I called THE TURKISH MINISTRY at 1-888-566-7656 and asked them the same question:

Their answer was NO, YOU DO NOT NEED A VISA. As long as your cruise does not originate or terminate in Turkey, you can leave the ship, tour the port and go to Ephesus for up to 72 hours WITHOUT A VISA. You only need your PASSPORT or a COPY thereof.

Following are five (5) links to citings supporting the answers I received and my findings.

From the Turkish Embassy:

The passengers of cruise ships are allowed to enter and stay overnight in the port cities of Turkey upon the permission given by local border police authorities. These passengers are not required to obtain an entry visa to Turkey.

From the Turkish Embassy:

For cruise passengers: Those cruise passengers coming to a Turkish port of call by a cruise ship and thereafter leave Turkey by the same cruise ship for another country, are exempt from visa for a maximum period of 72 hours (with the permission given by the local security authorities).

From the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

The passengers of cruise ships are allowed to enter and stay overnight in the port cities of Turkey upon the permission given by local border police authorities. These passengers are not required to obtain an entry visa to Turkey.

From the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Question: I am taking a Mediterranean boat cruise with my family. Our ship will also visit Kuşadası. Do we need visas to enter Turkey?

Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Turkey by cruises are allowed to enter Turkey without visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities.

From the US Department of State:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: You need a passport and visa to travel to Turkey.... There is one exception: foreigners who are traveling to Turkey by cruise ship are allowed to enter Turkey without a visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with permission given by the local security authorities at the port of entry.

I hope this helps to clarify matters :D for those who may be receiving mis or disinformation from travel agents or cruise lines attempting to profit from your state of confusion and FUD :eek: (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt).

Everything posted above is correct. There is one option not mentioned for people coming to Turkey and needing a visa. The Turks offer an e-visa that you can apply for before your leave for Turkey. It saves waiting in line at the airport, or port, to get a stamp. It is all explained and you can apply for an e-visa at: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/. The cost is the same $20 and you need a major credit card.

Just another option.

Everything posted above is correct. There is one option not mentioned for people coming to Turkey and needing a visa. The Turks offer an e-visa that you can apply for before your leave for Turkey. It saves waiting in line at the airport, or port, to get a stamp. It is all explained and you can apply for an e-visa at: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/. The cost is the same $20 and you need a major credit card.

Just another option.

And this is a key option.

The key to all of this is if you arrive to Turkey by air you need this visa and I would get it electronically.

Also, if your cruise ends in Turkey and you are flying home you need a visa. Option is to see if the cruise line obtains it for you and if not to get it at the port or on line. For me if you need it on your own best to get it on line.

Keith

I was on the Celebrity Constellation last month that disembarked in Istanbul. The visa was required in Istanbul, but not in Ephesus which was a port of call. I had obtained ours in advance from the Turkey website. Very easy to do. Celebrity notified all passengers toward the end of the cruise that visas were required to disembark and would be charged to our account unless we showed them we already had them. I don't recall how much Celebrity was going to charge but it was higher than doing it yourself online. Celebrity did not give a choice of getting the visa at the port and I didn't see anywhere at the port to buy one when getting off the ship.

I was on the Celebrity Constellation last month that disembarked in Istanbul. The visa was required in Istanbul, but not in Ephesus which was a port of call. I had obtained ours in advance from the Turkey website. Very easy to do. Celebrity notified all passengers toward the end of the cruise that visas were required to disembark and would be charged to our account unless we showed them we already had them. I don't recall how much Celebrity was going to charge but it was higher than doing it yourself online. Celebrity did not give a choice of getting the visa at the port and I didn't see anywhere at the port to buy one when getting off the ship.

That was almost exactly our experience with a different cruise line just thismorning. :)

Our cruise started in Athens, Canakkale was a Turkish port of call (no visa required), our cruise ended in Istanbul. We were able to go ashore & explore without a visa, but although all cruisers leaving the cruise in Istanbul were transported to the airport by ship's transfer coaches & out of Istanbul by cruise line-chartered aircraft we were required to have visas.

The ship advised that they would arrange the visas & charge the cost to on-board accounts, and anyone who had pre-purchased a visa on-line was asked to present them in good time so that the process wasn't duplicated.

Only difference is that our cruise line didn't add a mark-up.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this has been brought up, but according to Flyertalk Forum, starting April 10, 2014, you will not be able to get a Turkish visa on arrival anymore. So if you are embarking or disembarking in Turkey, you need to apply for an e-visa before arriving Turkey. No visa is needed for ports of call.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but according to Flyertalk Forum, starting April 10, 2014, you will not be able to get a Turkish visa on arrival anymore. So if you are embarking or disembarking in Turkey, you need to apply for an e-visa before arriving Turkey. No visa is needed for ports of call.

Hi RO,

Dis-continuing visas on arrival was planned by the Turkish govt when they introduced e-visas, but they back-tracked & decided to offer both.

So, as with much forum information, it depends whether the Flyertalk Forum is bang-up-to-date with a later change-of-heart or well out-of-date with "old news".

Important for those whose cruise starts or ends in a Turkish port, but as you noted it's irrelevant for those who visit as a mid-cruise port-of-call.

Time will tell.