soda card question....first day only?

When we were on a Carnival Cruise last year a very nice bartender suggested that we wait to buy our son his soda card until the next day after boarding because if you buy while in port you have to pay whatever the tax rate is for the state...FL in that case...in addition to the fact that you only have 1/2 day since you just boarded. We bought it the next morning and paid no extra taxes and 1 less days cost. I was wondering if RC will let you do that or if they require you to buy it only on boarding day.

When we were on a Carnival Cruise last year a very nice bartender suggested that we wait to buy our son his soda card until the next day after boarding because if you buy while in port you have to pay whatever the tax rate is for the state...FL in that case...in addition to the fact that you only have 1/2 day since you just boarded. We bought it the next morning and paid no extra taxes and 1 less days cost. I was wondering if RC will let you do that or if they require you to buy it only on boarding day.

We always buy the soda card the first day and have never paid tax. However, what has typically happened is the bartender will write up a receipt that is processed later after we leave port. The other way to not have it processed right away is don't buy it from a bar. There is usually a table set up in a few different places with someone selling the soda cards.

Both my husband and I are big diet coke drinkers.

On our last cruise (Independence) we actually asked that the soda package (pre-purchased months in advance) be removed on the second day.

The soda package allows you to only get fountain served glasses of soda, you can not be served cans.

The soda was extremely flat, no carbonation bubbles visible at all. The soda also had a hint of the taste of root beer.

Two sips out of the first glass served to us and I told the bartender something was wrong. He actually took a sip out of my glass of soda and proceeded to say that it was flat - he discarded the fountain filled sodas and he poured us a glass of soda from a can. Soda tasted great.

He then proceeded to tell us that he receives this type of complaint on every cruise when an adult is a soda drinker. He said usually only kids drink the stuff straight and they can't tell the difference. Adults that order mixed drinks with cola products don't notice it because the liquor masks the flat flavor.

We thought that maybe the issue was only at the Schooner bar and proceeded up to the bar inside Windjammer. We watched him pour our drinks from the fountain and carry them over to us and without even tasting them, I said they are flat (no carbonation bubbles visible). He said that's the way it always looks. After I tasted it - it was flat exactly as served in the Schooner.

I asked him to serve us diet sodas out of a can. He said he couldn't because the soda package does not allow it. I said I'd pay for them separately. He got a can of soda and a glass filled with ice and put it down in front of me. I poured the can into the glass. I asked him to look at them both, I told him they're supposed to look the same. He laughed and said you must like soda, only real soda drinkers notice the difference.

We then went to Guest Services and told them about our concerns and the bartenders comments about the foul tasting soda. They said they'd get someone to check the service. That there is supposed to be no difference between the fountain and cans. We said we'd try the package again.

The next day we again tried two different bars and had the same result. Went back to guest services and told them to remove the package completely. We also informed them that while in port we were going to purchase soda and bring it back on board.

I will now bring soda with me. I will not waste my money on the soda package nor will I waste my money on the overpriced cans of soda.

Both my husband and I are big diet coke drinkers.

On our last cruise (Independence) we actually asked that the soda package (pre-purchased months in advance) be removed on the second day.

The soda package allows you to only get fountain served glasses of soda, you can not be served cans.

The soda was extremely flat, no carbonation bubbles visible at all. The soda also had a hint of the taste of root beer.

Two sips out of the first glass served to us and I told the bartender something was wrong. He actually took a sip out of my glass of soda and proceeded to say that it was flat - he discarded the fountain filled sodas and he poured us a glass of soda from a can. Soda tasted great.

He then proceeded to tell us that he receives this type of complaint on every cruise when an adult is a soda drinker. He said usually only kids drink the stuff straight and they can't tell the difference. Adults that order mixed drinks with cola products don't notice it because the liquor masks the flat flavor.

We thought that maybe the issue was only at the Schooner bar and proceeded up to the bar inside Windjammer. We watched him pour our drinks from the fountain and carry them over to us and without even tasting them, I said they are flat (no carbonation bubbles visible). He said that's the way it always looks. After I tasted it - it was flat exactly as served in the Schooner.

I asked him to serve us diet sodas out of a can. He said he couldn't because the soda package does not allow it. I said I'd pay for them separately. He got a can of soda and a glass filled with ice and put it down in front of me. I poured the can into the glass. I asked him to look at them both, I told him they're supposed to look the same. He laughed and said you must like soda, only real soda drinkers notice the difference.

We then went to Guest Services and told them about our concerns and the bartenders comments about the foul tasting soda. They said they'd get someone to check the service. That there is supposed to be no difference between the fountain and cans. We said we'd try the package again.

The next day we again tried two different bars and had the same result. Went back to guest services and told them to remove the package completely. We also informed them that while in port we were going to purchase soda and bring it back on board.

I will now bring soda with me. I will not waste my money on the soda package nor will I waste my money on the overpriced cans of soda.

The ships are all getting the new freestyle machines. Product should be much more consistant.

They used to let you buy the soda package later in the cruise and prorate the price but they do not do that anymore. You can only buy the package the first couple of days and it is at the full cost regardless of if you bought it day 1 or 2. Also, you must carry around and use the large cup they give you if you use the Coke machines.

Archived