Alaska on NCL

Hendricks Clan

We are Platinum cruisers on Carnival, who recently discovered the joys and love of the freestyle product NCL offers. We've been on the Star, and have the Dawn upcoming in March. We are going to book an Alaska cruise for June and then try to squeeze the Breakaway in for late July. My question is I know the Jewel and Pearl are almost identical and the Sun is older and smaller but what ship and itinerary would you chose to sail on to Alaska? We like the Northbound on the NCL but Im afraid the ship wont live up to the expectations for the kids (21, 18). We have been to Alaska once before but that was on Carnival, and the kids are used to all the features the newer ships have so the Sun worries me on that end.

We are Platinum cruisers on Carnival, who recently discovered the joys and love of the freestyle product NCL offers. We've been on the Star, and have the Dawn upcoming in March. We are going to book an Alaska cruise for June and then try to squeeze the Breakaway in for late July. My question is I know the Jewel and Pearl are almost identical and the Sun is older and smaller but what ship and itinerary would you chose to sail on to Alaska? We like the Northbound on the NCL but Im afraid the ship wont live up to the expectations for the kids (21, 18). We have been to Alaska once before but that was on Carnival, and the kids are used to all the features the newer ships have so the Sun worries me on that end.

The Sun is more of a typical classic ship so to speak. Think less features then what you saw on the Star. While I liked the Sun ( we actually booked the Jewel then NCL changed ships) the newer ships just have more things in the various categories. I did like mini suite on the Sun though.

What types of things are your kids looking for?

We are booked on the Sun for September 2014, first time on NCL and first time to Alaska.

We are doing NB from Vancouver, SB back to Vancouver and Vancouver to LA , B2B2B in aft mini suite, only 600 odd days to go.

Even though I am a huge fan of NCL, Alaska is one place I won''t use their services. Instead I am planning to use a smaller luxury cruise ship (Max 36 guests) because being smaller, they will be able to get me EXTREMELY close to the glaciers and wildlife that I will be going to Alaska for. The bigger cruise ships that NCL has are unable to get up close either because of regulations or their dramatically reduced maneuverability.

It might help if you mention the types of things your young adults will be looking for on the ship. You said you had cruised to Alaska once before and to most people, the tours and the "seeing" of Alaska is the primary focus. What did they like to do on your previous cruise? The entertainment, shows and activities should be basically the same on any NCL ship regardless of itinerary. Will they be happy with a long day of whale watching or zip lining etc and dinner and a show? Or are they strictly stay on the ship people?

We chose the Sun for May 13 because we wanted roundtrip out of Vancouver for our first Alaska cruise. It travels the inside passage which is more scenic and usually more calm and also goes to Glacier Bay. The passage out of Seattle is open sea for the first portion and can be rough and a somewhat different itinerary. But, we'll probably do that one someday as well to see Hubbard and Icy Straight.

I've been on the Sky (2003) and Pearl to Alaska, and Jewel Pacific Coastal. If you're kids need activity and not just scenery, I'd recommend the Pearl. At least it has the rock-climbing wall and bowling. While the Pearl and Jewel are otherwise similar, my favorite cruise was the Pearl. Could've had something to do with the beautiful Glacier Bay. We got much closer to the glaciers there than the Sky on the Sawyer Glacier route. I am eyeing the Sun southbound though for a different itinerary. Never sailed Carnival but NCL to Alaska is very casual, just the way I like it. BTW, I was in my early 20s on the Sky and it wasn't very exciting.

We chose the NB Sun for our bunch, 50's and 60's with ds27. In planning, it was all about the ports and Glacier Bay as a must. The price difference from the roundtrip Seattle nearly covered our air costs. Fortunately or unfortunately, I then added in pre and post cruise touring which upped the budget a bit, but hopefully well worth it and another reason I liked the Sun itinerary better.

Ds will likely do a bit more of the nightlife on the ship than we will, at least based on our last cruise with him. He'll probably be out dancing many a night. Although he might enjoy a bowling alley or rock wall, it is certainly not a deal breaker for him. On the other hand, he is a bit older than your kids. He is very much looking forward to the ports, scenery, hiking and glaciers.

I guess it comes down to priorities, more modern ship and facilities or better port and itinerary options.

We had a great time on the Jewel. There's a review with pictures in my signature area. I understand Glacier Bay is phenominal, but we had a great day in Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glaciers) on the Jewel as well. We took an excursion to get closer.

IMG_2163-vi.jpg

IMG_3122-vi.jpg?1358704193

I've been on the Sky (2003) and Pearl to Alaska, and Jewel Pacific Coastal. If you're kids need activity and not just scenery, I'd recommend the Pearl. At least it has the rock-climbing wall and bowling. While the Pearl and Jewel are otherwise similar, my favorite cruise was the Pearl. Could've had something to do with the beautiful Glacier Bay. We got much closer to the glaciers there than the Sky on the Sawyer Glacier route. I am eyeing the Sun southbound though for a different itinerary. Never sailed Carnival but NCL to Alaska is very casual, just the way I like it. BTW, I was in my early 20s on the Sky and it wasn't very exciting.

With 2 young adults, the Pearl is the alaskian NCL ship for you. IMHO

I've been on the Pearl and Star while my daughter did the Jewel with her friends last year.

With 2 young adults, the Pearl is the alaskian NCL ship for you. IMHO

I've been on the Pearl and Star while my daughter did the Jewel with her friends last year.

That's what we were thinking. We like the itinerary for the Sun, but we also figured it would be a more "mature," crowd and not as many people for them to meet and hang out with. They are already not happy about not doing someplace warm so we were leaning towards the Pearl being more to their liking.

Even though I am a huge fan of NCL, Alaska is one place I won''t use their services. Instead I am planning to use a smaller luxury cruise ship (Max 36 guests) because being smaller, they will be able to get me EXTREMELY close to the glaciers and wildlife that I will be going to Alaska for. The bigger cruise ships that NCL has are unable to get up close either because of regulations or their dramatically reduced maneuverability.

LOL... not necessarily. Closeness to glaciers is more bound by ice content in the water than size. Pick the wrong month and you will not get close no matter which ship you are on. Wildlife from any ship is limited, but yes, the "land" critter are much easier to see from a smaller boat and they can usually afford the time to linger and watch. There are pluses and minuses for both size ships.

There really is no contest with any ship leaving from Vancouver as opposed to one leaving from Seattle. If you are going to see Alaska, then the Sun is the choice. If you are going to ride a ship, i guess the other ships are for you. This is my 22nd year in the addiction called Alaska. I will be B to B on the Sun.

Of the NCL ships the Pearl are the Jewel are just about equal - however I would give the nod to the Pearl due to Glacier Bay - and the bowling alleys and climbing wall - however due to the weather some of the outdoor activities onboard might be limited in nature - this holds true for any AK cruise. As for the Seattle cruises taking the outside of Vancouver Island that is true and sometimes the seas can be rough and you will transit it twice for a day on the way up and again on the way back.

Also in AK there are always things to look at on the shoreline - get a balcony room and give each kid some binoculars and let them watch for eagles, whales, and other wildlife.

Thanks for all the replies so far...something to think about for sure. Due to cost, I think we've narrowed it down to Jewel and Sun and then pay for them both to bring someone along with them. Guess we will look at everything and decide sometime tonight or tomorrow so we can get the Dash sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived