STAR, buying liquor to bring home!

Alan C

Heads up!! Just returned from an excellent cruise on the Star to the Western Carribean. My mother and I had a outstanding time, and such a great Captain and crew. However, if you are planning on purchasing and bring home duty free liquor, I would suggest you purchase your liquor off the ship. I purchased Absolute Vodka on board on the first night when they offer a 10% discount. The sell price was $16.99 per liter, which I thought was high, but Petar the manager of the "on board" Duty Free shop guaranteed me I would not find a lower price off ship. Guess what, I found it for $12.00 per liter in Dufry shop in Belize and purchased some at the lower price, hoping I cold cancel the order on ship. I questioned Petar that evening when we sailed that evening, and he informed me that we could not cancel the liquor order, but could get a credit for something in the shop for the amount we paid. In other words, no refunds. No offense, but I do not need another NCL t-shirt. As a Platium Latitudes member, I was taken back that what is normally cheaper liquor on an NCL cruise ship was priced higher than on shore. If you are sailing, just a heads up. Other than this, I can guarantee you wil have a wonderful time on the STAR!!!!!

I've shopped it the past few cruises on board and it seems to me that the prices have gone up where they were very reasonable to just o.k. In comparison, we were on a DCL cruise and they had 1L Stoli for under $10 which is great - what is the price on NCL?

The other thing to think about it how you have to pick it up. On the Dawn this past summer, the line to pick up snaked outside the shops for hours during the pick up time. How long you actually had to wait, I don't know, but I could think of better ways to spend my last night on the ship.

Hello friend!

We also thought the ship's Duty Free liquor prices didn't seem as good as usual and the selection seemed smaller. We usually pick up 2-4 bottles on board (more convenient than running around most ports looking to buy it), but opted out this time after browsing. In Cozumel we had about 20 minutes before "all aboard," so we raced through the Duty Free shop at the port and got better prices and better selection.

Thanks for posting NCL's reaction. I'm surprised you can't "return" the alcohol while on board, especially since it hasn't even been in your posession.

As to the person that commented about liquor "pick up," I luckily only experienced that on NCL once. The other times it has either been automatically delivered, or we gave a slip to our steward and he brought it to us on the last night.

I've shopped it the past few cruises on board and it seems to me that the prices have gone up where they were very reasonable to just o.k. In comparison, we were on a DCL cruise and they had 1L Stoli for under $10 which is great - what is the price on NCL?

The other thing to think about it how you have to pick it up. On the Dawn this past summer, the line to pick up snaked outside the shops for hours during the pick up time. How long you actually had to wait, I don't know, but I could think of better ways to spend my last night on the ship.

I have my first cruise booked on NCL now. So they don't deliver the liquor to your stateroom, you have to pick it up and wait in a line? That is different from the other lines we have sailed on. Does that include any liquor you buy onshore and they store for you?

I have my first cruise booked on NCL now. So they don't deliver the liquor to your stateroom, you have to pick it up and wait in a line? That is different from the other lines we have sailed on. Does that include any liquor you buy onshore and they store for you?

They do not deliver to your room. They "hold" all liquor bought on the ship or in port and you go to a designated room the last evening to pick it up. They are open for a few hours, the only way you will stand in line is if you go right when they open. We always wait til a bit later and have never had to stand in line. It isn't a big deal.

They do not deliver to your room. They "hold" all liquor bought on the ship or in port and you go to a designated room the last evening to pick it up. They are open for a few hours, the only way you will stand in line is if you go right when they open. We always wait til a bit later and have never had to stand in line. It isn't a big deal.

Thanks for the information. Good to know there is not a constant long line. Too bad they don't deliver it.

I can't remember if they ever used to deliver it, but the last couple times we looked at prices and nothing moved us enough to decide to buy, pack in bags, then cart on a plane home. On DCL, they do deliver.

The pick-up seems to vary by ship. The worst I saw was the Dawn this past June. We went by the shops with people in line all the way back to the atrium as we headed to the show. After the show, the line was just as long. The main problem was they only had two people next to each other handing out bags (I also suspect there were more buyers as this was more of a younger group and people who drove to the port).

The other times it was pretty easy - walk into the shop, they have a pile of bags there and several staff to help - in and out in 10 minutes or less.

REMEMBER..If you are flying please put the liquor in your checked baggage, covered with soft clothing, or it will be confiscated by secuity thinking it may be a liquid bomb. :confused:

BTW, on Carnival they delivered the liquor to the room:)

in 2009 Carnival was selling Kalhua in the duty free shop for $12. we bought it in port for $8.

On the Jewel this past Dec it was about $15 or so before the "discount". we waited a few minutes to pick up the package.

Bon Voyage and cheers:)

In regards to picking up of liquor, for the Absolute I purchased from the ship, I had to pick it up from the duty free shop on the last day of the cruise. (Kim, right after our cabin crawl) The liquor I purchased in Belize, I was allowed to carry onto the ship, confiscated at the gang way, and then my room steward picked up the liquor for us and brought to our stateroom. All in all, I was not upset so much about the higher price, but more of the guarantee and not being allowed to return within a couple of days of purchase, at least 3 days before the end of the cruise. Please know I was not complaining, just give you a heads up if price is an object to you. Thanks

Heads up!! Just returned from an excellent cruise on the Star to the Western Carribean. My mother and I had a outstanding time, and such a great Captain and crew. However, if you are planning on purchasing and bring home duty free liquor, I would suggest you purchase your liquor off the ship. I purchased Absolute Vodka on board on the first night when they offer a 10% discount. The sell price was $16.99 per liter, which I thought was high, but Petar the manager of the "on board" Duty Free shop guaranteed me I would not find a lower price off ship. Guess what, I found it for $12.00 per liter in Dufry shop in Belize and purchased some at the lower price, hoping I cold cancel the order on ship. I questioned Petar that evening when we sailed that evening, and he informed me that we could not cancel the liquor order, but could get a credit for something in the shop for the amount we paid. In other words, no refunds. No offense, but I do not need another NCL t-shirt. As a Platium Latitudes member, I was taken back that what is normally cheaper liquor on an NCL cruise ship was priced higher than on shore. If you are sailing, just a heads up. Other than this, I can guarantee you wil have a wonderful time on the STAR!!!!!

I guess you do realize that DUFRY is contracted by NCL to run their duty free on board their ships and the Gift shop staff are not NCL employees. I personally had a run in with one of the Dufry idiots on the Star a few weeks ago and I got it resolved at the guest services desk.

I will be back on the Star in a few weeks, but since they don't offer much I will not be going to the shops.

Hi all...

I just wanted to share my experience from the Dawn in July, 2011 with regards to delivery/pick up for alcohol on the last day.

I was so lucky to be in a suite (for my first cruise ever!) so we had concierge service. I went to the show to get seats for myself and my BF and he went to the duty free shop to pick up our purchases. Well....our concierge was (as usual!) greeting suite guests at the entrance to the show, and he inquired as to where my BF was. I explained, and he immediately took action and...SHAZAAM...our purchase was delivered to our room! I ran to the very long line in the shop and relieved my BF from having to wait.

I just want to share this if anyone is in the same situation. I had absolutely no idea that this could happen and it was terrific. I don't know for sure...but maybe anyone staying in a suite could ask their concierge to do this on, say, the second to last night of the cruise?

Our concierge was Anoop...and he was seemingly everywhere doing everything he could do to please!:)

I hope this is helpful as maybe it can shorten the line and give an unexpected bonus to suite guests????:)

Archived