Concierge ?

STUR

I decided to book a 4 night deluxe family with concierge in September on the Dream. This will be our first sailing with Disney and a litmus test to see if we like that room or if we should go with the 1 bedroom suite on the Fantasy for a 7 day sailing in November 2014 (or January 2015).

Although I am not a fan of Nassau, I am looking forward to this sailing. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do book the Fantasy and if you can a suite, its a great ship, the Concierge lounge on both ships really makes Concierge worth it, far more than the classic ships, you can get your moneys worth in all of the coffees and teas and cans of soda in the CL.

Do book the Fantasy and if you can a suite, its a great ship, the Concierge lounge on both ships really makes Concierge worth it, far more than the classic ships, you can get your moneys worth in all of the coffees and teas and cans of soda in the CL.

Couple questions. In your room, I think I saw two remotes by the tv. What was the 2nd one used for? Does the mirror in the bathroom have a tv? I think you had given some examples but I'm trying to remember - what types of snacks were in the CL during the day?

Any other info on the room? I think we have the exact same one booked.

TIA

Couple questions. In your room, I think I saw two remote by the tv. What was the 2nd one used for? Does the mirror in the bathroom have a tv? I think you had given some examples but I'm trying to remember - what types of snacks were in the CL during the day?

Any other info on the room? I think we have the exact same one booked.

TIA

We had three TVs two in the main room and one is in the mirror yes, I think there are remote for TV and DVD, and also in the Bath I recall something for the Whirlpool bath.

Snacks change all day in the CL for the time of day so breakfast things from 7am to 10am, then general snacks, its a good selection, fruits cheeses, cakes, if you have been to Cove Cafe, that type of thing, but a lot there, the coffee machine is a godsend, fantastic, hot chocolate, and Tea as well and an unlimited supply of caned soda. There was booze at set hours and mocktails for kids.

12012 is in a fantastic location, as well as straight over from a door to the CL easy to nip in/out in two seconds for drinks or cakes, it has an extended verandah outwards, no downside to the room at all!! Got to say we spend 90% of our time there than on deck, and just enjoyed the view.

The CL has MDR menus in there a concierge desk always manned, and they always help, they would prop the door open for my runs to/from CL for snacks for my family and gave kids gifts like arcade cards etc.

DCLCRUISE2012FANTASY071-3.jpg

We had three TVs two in the main room and one is in the mirror yes, I think there are remote for TV and DVD, and also in the Bath I recall something for the Whirlpool bath.

Snacks change all day in the CL for the time of day so breakfast things from 7am to 10am, then general snacks, its a good selection, fruits cheeses, cakes, if you have been to Cove Cafe, that type of thing, but a lot there, the coffee machine is a godsend, fantastic, hot chocolate, and Tea as well and an unlimited supply of caned soda. There was booze at set hours and mocktails for kids.

12012 is in a fantastic location, as well as straight over from a door to the CL easy to nip in/out in two seconds for drinks or cakes, it has an extended verandah outwards, no downside to the room at all!! Got to say we spend 90% of our time there than on deck, and just enjoyed the view.

The CL has MDR menus in there a concierge desk always manned, and they always help, they would prop the door open for my runs to/from CL for snacks for my family and gave kids gifts like arcade cards etc.

DCLCRUISE2012FANTASY071-3.jpg

Thanks, that helps. One other question (well maybe two). Did you tip the folks in the CL? If so, if there are different people working, how do you know who to tip?

Thanks, that helps. One other question (well maybe two). Did you tip the folks in the CL? If so, if there are different people working, how do you know who to tip?

Yes I did tip concierge on both cruises, now there are three concierge staff there, you can just tip concierge and it goes into a pool, or you can name who it goes to,

Now you might not believe this, but there was one cruiser on our second cruise who tipped circa $1,000, it was $300 for one $300 for another and $400 for the last one. I was queuing up with my tip which I thought was very good and gulped at that.

Its a personal thing how much you use them, and the CL, but as a yardstick I would suggest what your stateroom host gets, now, DCL recommends the same for a stateroom host in any room, but a suite has more to clean, in fact, our guy was training so we had two, but the second guy was on salary and we were told not to tip him.

So I do up the stateroom host, in fact double it, and concierge is in line with that.

If you had a party in your room and concierge organise it then up their tip, if you book everything on-line and do not use the CL a lot, then reduce it. Its personal.

Lastly these concierge are also the hosts at the Cabanas on CC day, so they can do a lot for you on that day and that's wrapped up in the overall tip, if you book a Cabana.

we had 12512 - a one bedroom on the bumpout...

also a fantastic room and right across the hall from the CL....

that or 12012 would be the rooms i would try for..

as for tipping, we tipped each of the 3 concierge hosts individually as we felt they weren't equal in performance (one got significantly more, one a more typical amount and one a very small tip that hopefully she took as an insult)...

i actually wanted to stiff one of them because i hated her and thought she was awful (and a -----, rhymes with witch), but in the end i gave her $50, much less than i gave the other two, who were sweeties and really tried to please on every occasion - not that we needed their help with anything, but it was clear they would do whatever they could and with a smile....by the way, i tipped each in cash right to each one individually - not on my account. And i made it clear that it wasn't to be shared, but to each one individually.

we were in a cabana at SB, so our host was just a regular worker not one of the concierge hosts (so obviously, we tipped our cabana person right at the end of the day at CC - now that i think about it, he got more than that concierge worker - the cabana host was a total sweetie and couldn't have done more for us...he was fantastic and absolutely deserved every penny of his tip)

we had 12512 - a one bedroom on the bumpout...

also a fantastic room and right across the hall from the CL....

that or 12012 would be the rooms i would try for..

as for tipping, we tipped each of the 3 concierge hosts individually as we felt they weren't equal in performance (one got significantly more, one a more typical amount and one a very small tip that hopefully she took as an insult)...

i actually wanted to stiff one of them because i hated her and thought she was awful (and a -----, rhymes with witch), but in the end i gave her $50, much less than i gave the other two, who were sweeties and really tried to please on every occasion - not that we needed their help with anything, but it was clear they would do whatever they could and with a smile....by the way, i tipped each in cash right to each one individually - not on my account. And i made it clear that it wasn't to be shared, but to each one individually.

we were in a cabana at SB, so our host was just a regular worker not one of the concierge hosts (so obviously, we tipped our cabana person right at the end of the day at CC - now that i think about it, he got more than that concierge worker - the cabana host was a total sweetie and couldn't have done more for us...he was fantastic and absolutely deserved every penny of his tip)

Yes, fully agree, its very personal and you can only do what you personally feel is correct and what you used and the service offered.

I mentioned before the $1,000 tip, we also had one one of our Fantasy cruises, a person in a suite who 'complained' that auto Tips were debited to his stateroom account, he felt the cruise was all inclusive and wouldn't tip any more, so got all tips wiped from his account!!!! To add to this he gave the concierge team a hard time.

I'm also right after the Magic dry dock. I really wish they would add a concierge lounge and priority seating at shows.

The Priority seating for the shows, is one thing RCI is far better at than DCL, DCL do need to consider that, particularly on the new ships as they have a balcony which they could cordon off. It worked well on RCI.

The CL on the classic ships is a strong rumour, one I did hear was the arcade at midship will be moved and replaced with a CL there. I had this from one source so not confirmed.

The Priority seating for the shows, is one thing RCI is far better at than DCL, DCL do need to consider that, particularly on the new ships as they have a balcony which they could cordon off. It worked well on RCI.

The CL on the classic ships is a strong rumour, one I did hear was the arcade at midship will be moved and replaced with a CL there. I had this from one source so not confirmed.

one of the concierge team on our cruise in october said that they had been told that a CL was scheduled to be added to the magic in dry dock...

one of the concierge team on our cruise in october said that they had been told that a CL was scheduled to be added to the magic in dry dock...

Interesting, that's confirmation of what I had heard myself, ( see Magic Dry Dock thread), one thing and it is a rumour was the Arcade is moving and that's going to be the CL. Location is great, as it adjoins the Cove cafe so a ready supply of food already and very close to Deck 8, and in particular to midships Cat Rs and Midships T's.

On the Dream class the CLs have done well, cruisers enjoy them, the hosts do not have to come to do, you go to them when you want to, not them ringing the bell and your in the bath. I understand it also has increased sales and tips.

Considering that deck plans haven't changed for 2014, they cant be using any stateroom for CL, so it should be an existing place.

Now we know Topsiders is becoming Cabanas on the Magic, so maybe re locate the soda station and incorporate an arcade there and have the old site for the CL.

Hope a Concierge lounge is added to the Magic. That's the one thing I will miss from the Fantasy/Dream on our upcoming EBTA on the Magic. Except for the master bathroom in the Ts on the new ships, I prefer the layout of the midship Ts on the classics better.

Hope a Concierge lounge is added to the Magic. That's the one thing I will miss from the Fantasy/Dream on our upcoming EBTA on the Magic. Except for the master bathroom in the Ts on the new ships, I prefer the layout of the midship Ts on the classics better.

i love the midship T on the classics!!!!!! love the layout, love the storage, love the balcony....really perfect!

i also like the royal on the classic better except for the balcony...

it would be absolutely perfect if they combined the balcony from the dream/fantasy with the inside royal of the classics!!!!

i love the midship T on the classics!!!!!! love the layout, love the storage, love the balcony....really perfect!

i also like the royal on the classic better except for the balcony...

it would be absolutely perfect if they combined the balcony from the dream/fantasy with the inside royal of the classics!!!!

Yes agree..

Been in 8032 x 2, 8532, and have booked 8034 in 2014,

I have 8030 this year on the Wonder.

Yes agree..

We have almost always sailed in 8532. We will be in it again for the EBTA in May. We will be in 8034 in 2014 too. :)

Yes agree..

we were in 8534 first...

and then the next time i booked 8030 (walt? - we were in the walt - i think it's 8030)

i loved that suite so much, i would have been happy to never leave at all!!!!

and i was happy that the kids had their own room, rather than having to sleep in the living room.

we were in 8534 first...

and then the next time i booked 8030 (walt? - we were in the walt - i think it's 8030)

i loved that suite so much, i would have been happy to never leave at all!!!!

and i was happy that the kids had their own room, rather than having to sleep in the living room.

Yes I have a Splurge the Walt this summer...

It is worth it. I would not go any other way. The one bedroom suite is the minimum for us. My only wish is that the Dream/Fantasy would offer a suite larger than the 1 BR but smaller than the Big Walt & Roy Disney suites.

I think DCL made a HUGE mistake in not having two bedroom suites on the Dream and Fantasy. Rather than taking them away, they really should have added more. It is supposed to be a "family" cruise line, afterall.

Another mistake....not having at least a small pool in the outside CL area.

Disney could take some tips from NCL on how to really pamper their suite guests!

We love DCL - it is one of our annual "family" vacations and perfect for the kids. That being said, I priced a 12 night Med cruise next summer and came up with a fare of just over $30K for a family of four in a 1br suite. Give me $30K for 12 days in Eurpoe and I can assure you that I can put together something a lot better. But more power to DCL for getting those kind of fares.

I think DCL made a HUGE mistake in not having two bedroom suites on the Dream and Fantasy. Rather than taking them away, they really should have added more. It is supposed to be a "family" cruise line, afterall.

Another mistake....not having at least a small pool in the outside CL area.

Disney could take some tips from NCL on how to really pamper their suite guests!

Actually they do offer them. You would book a 1BR and a connecting concierge family stateroom to achieve the same idea. Actually that would allow you to sleep nine and offer three full bathrooms.

It would have been nice to have had a splash pool on the sun deck, preferably with quiet hours for adults only and family hours for everyone.

We love DCL - it is one of our annual "family" vacations and perfect for the kids. That being said, I priced a 12 night Med cruise next summer and came up with a fare of just over $30K for a family of four in a 1br suite. Give me $30K for 12 days in Eurpoe and I can assure you that I can put together something a lot better. But more power to DCL for getting those kind of fares.

Reasons I wouldn't cruise DCL to Europe:

1. Too "Disney-fied" with not enough focus on shore excursions that would appeal to a mature audience.

2. Ship is too large and goes to major ports with all the other big ships leading to over-crowding and lines for everything.

3. The cost is ridiculous, I could sail an ultra-premium or luxury line for half the cost.

Actually they do offer them. You would book a 1BR and a connecting concierge family stateroom to achieve the same idea. Actually that would allow you to sleep nine and offer three full bathrooms.

It would have been nice to have had a splash pool on the sun deck, preferably with quiet hours for adults only and family hours for everyone.

But that way, they can charge for FOUR ADULTS, rather than having the two-bedroom suites, where the charge was for two adults, and "X" number of children/other passengers.

What a rip off!!!

Reasons I wouldn't cruise DCL to Europe:

1. Too "Disney-fied" with not enough focus on shore excursions that would appeal to a mature audience.

2. Ship is too large and goes to major ports with all the other big ships leading to over-crowding and lines for everything.

3. The cost is ridiculous, I could sail an ultra-premium or luxury line for half the cost.

i totally totally totally agree with point number 3!!!

for their med cruises, disney is a zillion times more than the other mass market lines..

and if you're willing to wait until after final payment date, the other lines will take you for practically nothing..

in fact, they'll almost pay you to get on the ship (they really don't like sending those ships out at anything less than full)...

But that way, they can charge for FOUR ADULTS, rather than having the two-bedroom suites, where the charge was for two adults, and "X" number of children/other passengers.

What a rip off!!!

I disagree. It was a wise business decision. The more versatile they can be with cabin configurations, the more likely they are to sail without open berths. It's no different than with a hotel room, if you've got more than two or three kids, you need to book a second room, and there's no discount just because it's just the kids sleeping in it.

Archived