Sorrento or Capri?

flgajaja

Having done both in the past year, I'd also suggest just spending the day on Capri. It's lovely and there's a lot you can do (see other recent posts on how to spend a day in Capri).

I spent a week in an apartment in Sorrento last March. While it's a good, safe central base for a stay, I didn't find it offered much otherwise.

Sorrento is well down my list of "places to go" on the Amalfi Coast. We would recommend Capri, and we often follow our own recommendation. When we stay on the Amalfi Coast (we have spent a few vacations in this area) we always head over to Capri for a full day. A bonus for cruise ship passengers is that its very easy to get to Capri on your own from the port in Naples. Just walk over to the nearby ferry port (Molo Beverello) and buy a ticket on the next jetboat/hydrofoil. There are 2 or 3 different companies running these boats (and the tickets are unique to each company) so its best to just buy a ticket when you get to the ticket windows. Make sure you buy your return ticket as soon as you get to Capri and check the schedules.

Hank

Assume your boat is berthing in Naples .

Then the ships excursion to Capri & Anacapri is the go . You walk from cruise boat berth in Naples a short distance to hydrofoil for 45 minute trip to Marina Grande at Capri . Here the tour buses take you firstly along the spectacular coast road for self explore time in Anacapri. Then back to Capri for lunch . after lunch a walking tour of Capri town and free time. Finally down on funicular to Marina Grande and hydrofoil back to Naples . Depart around 0800, arrive back around 1700 .

Assume your boat is berthing in Naples .

Then the ships excursion to Capri & Anacapri is the go . You walk from cruise boat berth in Naples a short distance to hydrofoil for 45 minute trip to Marina Grande at Capri . Here the tour buses take you firstly along the spectacular coast road for self explore time in Anacapri. Then back to Capri for lunch . after lunch a walking tour of Capri town and free time. Finally down on funicular to Marina Grande and hydrofoil back to Naples . Depart around 0800, arrive back around 1700 .

Now lets assume you do this on your own (no tour). You would also take the same walk from the cruise ship (its not a "boat) over to the jetboat/hydrofoil pier. You would buy your ticket and go on the same boats (these are boats) to Marina Grande as the tour. Once on the island, if you want to go up to Anacapri you can easily take the local bus (lots of fun) for a few Euros or even grab a taxi. In all cases you will save significant money over the tour prices and will be able to do as you please without being part of a small herd (tour group). And by the way, we recommend that anyone going up to Anacapri (who has the time) take the cable car up to the top of Mt Solara (generally not part of the tours). The chair lift ride and the views are spectacular (unless you are afraid of heights).

By the way, we actually overheard a tour guide (on Capri) telling her group "this is a souvenir shop." Hard to imagine paying for that "excellent description."

Hank

Getting to Capri from the Naples cruise port -- and getting around Capri once there -- is one of the easiest things in the Med to manage on one's own.

Unless you are planning to visit somewhere like the ruins of the various Roman villas on the island (and like me, are keenly interested in their history), I can really see no reason to require a guide on Capri. Any guidebook will give you the basics of getting around the island once there.

Yes thank you for the info-since looking at the island map was trying to map out our own diy tour. going to see following: anacapri-Mount solero,villa San Michele, capri-maybe doing Pizzolungo walk,Garden of Augustive and don't know if have time but walking the via Krupp sounds interesting. Any recommendations on the best practical order in which to see these things? Know the via Krupp is on opposite side of island so don't know about getting around in time table we have. don't really care about taking boat to blue grotto-not necessarily into touristy stuff just see as much as possible, have quick bite in nice area and move on. we like to cover as much ground as possibble. we arrive in port at 7am and leave at 7pm. any suggested routes are welcome. thanks

Hank

I did walk the Phonecian Steps last trip---didn't see another human the entire way down

until almost at the Marina-----its a little tough on the old knees and hasn't been well maintained--but certainly doable and safe

Paul

DW could never do this walk because of a bad knee. Now that its been replaced (the knee....not DW) we might try this walk on our next visit :)

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

My vote is for Sorrento!!! Much more interesting and fun for us than Capri. Been to Capri and the only memorable thing we did was take a boat to the Blue Grotto (this was on a long stay visit, not a shore excursion).

Having been to both, I woud definitely go back to Sorrento over Capri any time!

Both Capri and Sorrento are lovely but I am also plumping for Capri and will be going there in April on our Jade cruise from Naples!

You can also take the hydrofoil from Sorrento to Capri.

Capri is easy to do on your own and if you want to do some walking, there are some maps of the island you can download and do your own thing. One or 2 turns off the main square and you may as well be on your own private island, I hope it's going to be very pretty in the springtime.

Sorrento is a good base for day trips along the Amalfi Coast.

• 3 months later...

Also agree with a full day in Capri, it's a beautiful island and there is plenty to see. The boat ride around the island is great (though I thought the blue grotto part was horribly overpriced to go in considering you're inside for maybe 5 minutes), the church with the painted floor in Anacapri is beautiful, the natural arc is beautiful and the walk from Capri is quite nice, and the views of the faraglioni from the gardens in Capri are wonderful.

Archived