What happened to the far end of Rockley Beach?

tlund

In 2009, we went to the far end of Rockley Beach. There was a bar/restaurant there called Bar Kinei (or something like that). We paid for chairs and umbrellas but were given the same dollar amount as credit for drinks and food. There were about 10 people total on the beach at that end. It was nice and quiet. We just came back from a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox and went to visit the same place. The bar/restaurant is called the Tiki Bar and the beach was packed. We got there around 10:00 a.m. and were informed that there were no more umbrellas left as all the people on the beach had used them all up. What happened to our wonderful spot?

I'm guessing more folks found out about this place. Rockley's always been our favourite beach. We used to go there every morning, swim with the turtles for a couple of hours, then grab a bite and a Banks at Bar Kanei...

Cheers, P:)

In 2009, we went to the far end of Rockley Beach. There was a bar/restaurant there called Bar Kinei (or something like that). We paid for chairs and umbrellas but were given the same dollar amount as credit for drinks and food. There were about 10 people total on the beach at that end. It was nice and quiet. We just came back from a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox and went to visit the same place. The bar/restaurant is called the Tiki Bar and the beach was packed. We got there around 10:00 a.m. and were informed that there were no more umbrellas left as all the people on the beach had used them all up. What happened to our wonderful spot?

That stinks I know the Bar was for sale a few years ago , I stumbled upon it one daywhen I was looking for something in Barbados. We had the same experience as you in 09 there was us and another couple.

I would guess the new owners got agressive and got mor cabbies to drop people off , good for them bad for us people that love the quiet beach area.

That stinks I know the Bar was for sale a few years ago , I stumbled upon it one daywhen I was looking for something in Barbados. We had the same experience as you in 09 there was us and another couple.

I would guess the new owners got agressive and got mor cabbies to drop people off , good for them bad for us people that love the quiet beach area.

I was just reviewing Celebrity's excursions for Barbados, and one of them is a trip to this beach & bar, with chair & umbrella and a free drink...so that may be why the umbrellas were all gone when you got there,

Jane

Wow, we were there with a few couples in March 2010 and indeed it was the Kan'ei Bar. It was great. We had the same experience with the paying for the chairs and getting the drinks and food toward what we paid for the chairs. Very, very resonable. We were the only people on the beach.

We will be going back to Barbados in March 2013 and plan on walking on the boardwalk toward Rockley but now we won't have to go this far.

What a bummer that Celebrity found out about this amazing cool place.

I was just reviewing Celebrity's excursions for Barbados, and one of them is a trip to this beach & bar, with chair & umbrella and a free drink...so that may be why the umbrellas were all gone when you got there,

Jane

I just looked at Celebrity's website for shore excursions and found the Tiki Bar shore excursion. I guess that explains why there were so many people there. Bummer for those of us who wanted to have our own quiet solitude. I guess that sounds a bit selfish, huh?

I just looked at Royal Caribbean and Carnival's shore excursions for Barbados. Lo and behold the Tiki Bar (formerly the Bar K'nei) is listed as a beach break excursion. So, all 3 cruise lines are offering this shore excursion. There goes that place.

I just looked at Royal Caribbean and Carnival's shore excursions for Barbados. Lo and behold the Tiki Bar (formerly the Bar K'nei) is listed as a beach break excursion. So, all 3 cruise lines are offering this shore excursion. There goes that place.

Well, at least it's good for the economy of the Tiki Bar and other vendors in the area!

Jane

• 2 weeks later...
:( I loved Bar Kanei. We had a wonderful day there a couple of years ago. It will never be the same now that the cruise ships have taken it over.

Ok, so Rockley is where DH and I went a few years ago and really enjoyed the quieter beach....we'll be there on Monday and had been planning to return there until I found this thread...sooooo, where do we go now???? We are looking for a quieter beach, definitely with umbrella and chair rentals and fairly calm waters with the possibility of some decent snorkeling from shore. Any ideas anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

We also went to Barkan'ei last April and it was a marvelously quiet and beautiful spot. I suppose it depends on how many cruise ships are in port on a particular day.

We would like to also know other suggestions because we are going again this April.

• 5 months later...

You can look the "the tiki bar" up on facebook. The owner Greg will take reservations within reason. They offer 2 chairs and an umbrella for $30USD and give you $60 barbados dollars in play money to spend on drinks and food. It's was a fantastic way to spend the day. They do keep the excursion passengers on one side of the bar and have the public on the other side. If you get there early you will still have the beach to yourselves.

You can look the "the tiki bar" up on facebook. The owner Greg will take reservations within reason. They offer 2 chairs and an umbrella for $30USD and give you $60 barbados dollars in play money to spend on drinks and food. It's was a fantastic way to spend the day. They do keep the excursion passengers on one side of the bar and have the public on the other side. If you get there early you will still have the beach to yourselves.

Maybe some day if we go for a week we will get back there it was great . For now we have made such great friends with Gina on Sail Calabaza we just book her catamaran every time we come to Barbados it's so relaxing and so much fun can't imagine a trip to Barbados without stopping there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So why did Bar Kanei fold?

- because it was a roaring success ..and couldn't pay the hot rents?

Business after business has opened in that spot and failed.

Why? Hot Rents!

So Tiki Bar moved in and has managed to make the spot popular

and is managing the rent aspect of it.

Good for Tiki Bar.

Bad for your perception of the island dream.

So why did Bar Kanei fold?

- because it was a roaring success ..and couldn't pay the hot rents?

Business after business has opened in that spot and failed.

Why? Hot Rents!

So Tiki Bar moved in and has managed to make the spot popular

and is managing the rent aspect of it.

Good for Tiki Bar.

Bad for your perception of the island dream.

Well when we were there in 08 the people working there were just plain rude lol other than that it was a beautiful place to hang out but they acted like it was a pain just to do anything for us or the other people that were there . I remember commenting to my wife what. Great place if someone with some get up and go owned this . Guess that has happened . I wish them well

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well when we were there in '08 the people working there were just plain rude lol

other than that it was a beautiful place to hang out but they acted

like it was a pain just to do anything for us or the other people that were there .

I remember commenting to my wife what. Great place if someone with some get up and go owned this .

Guess that has happened . I wish them well ===> Tiki Bar is doing OK!

When it was Bar Kanei (2008) it was being run by Bulgarians

(thus the odd name no-one could figure out, and still can't)

-and who weren't making it, financially!

Thus the possible dissatisfaction of the staff.

Archived