meet and greet

jogehanna

Heather,

My recollection is that most of the time they find an early date. They just don't want a conflict with the Captain's reception. Sea days are particularly good, but of course some cruises don't have many of those. On the "R" ships and Marina (haven't been on Riviera yet) the functions that I set up with the Concierge's help were at cocktail hour in Horizons.

On our first Oceania cruise we only had a very few members (this was from the yahoo board, not CC) and so we arranged for a lunch in Waves. But that really didn't work out very well because we ended up being limited to talking to the people sitting at our table. The cocktail party arrangement works much better.

Mura

Heather,

My recollection is that most of the time they find an early date. They just don't want a conflict with the Captain's reception. Sea days are particularly good, but of course some cruises don't have many of those. On the "R" ships and Marina (haven't been on Riviera yet) the functions that I set up with the Concierge's help were at cocktail hour in Horizons.

On our first Oceania cruise we only had a very few members (this was from the yahoo board, not CC) and so we arranged for a lunch in Waves. But that really didn't work out very well because we ended up being limited to talking to the people sitting at our table. The cocktail party arrangement works much better.

Mura

Thanks, Mura!:) I agree the cocktail party arrangement works best.

I have put together several Meet and Mingles, some on my own and others with another member. It involves a great deal of time to keep track of the roll call and preparation. Oceania has been very cooperative and My experience has been great. We experienced a lack of communication on our TA cruise November, 2011 but it was resolved quickly and Oceania was very generous and compensating. They put on a first class cocktail party for us.

Putting together tours on roll calls has also been a breeze sometimes and nightmares other times because you can't please everyone all of the time. We have decided to meet and mingle on our own the last few cruises and tour with no more than 4 people total. We have other roll call members upset if a vehicle was late 30 minutes we set up for transfer to the Port. We met wonderful people on our recent Regatta trip in November without the stress of setting up everything ahead. Been there done that:)

...but I do wonder why they have no problem lending support to other groups and announcing their "non-hosted" meet-ups in "Currents".

Heather, I think you'll find that Oceania is happy to support, announce and encourage any group which is willing and able to pay for their get-togethers. I'm just sayin'.

Heather, I think you'll find that Oceania is happy to support, announce and encourage any group which is willing and able to pay for their get-togethers. I'm just sayin'.

They want people to pay for organizing the chairs & putting a sign up ???

Then they should say this when people ask for a time & place then

Just saying

I too have been curious why O announced non-hosted meeting in the Current.

There was a gathering of the Texas Aggies on our last cruise, non-hosted but announced and set up in Horizons. Turns out this is an organized travel group and part of their program, they have done 40 O cruises and have earned a special relationship. My guess is that these announced meetings are part of a group, travel agency, promotion. Not our independent meeting. We seem to do alright as things are.

They want people to pay for organizing the chairs & putting a sign up ???

Then they should say this when people ask for a time & place then

Just saying

Theyh do say it. Those other groups, such as alumni groups, wine groups, etc., all pay for the service. It involves a lot more than setting up chairs and putting up a sign. Those parties all involve some sort of food and beverage.

If you go to Oceania and ask for such a meeting place, they will quote you the price for the food and beverages. In fact, I think it's buried in their web site somewhere (too lazy to look for it). The reason they don't do it for Cruise Critic parties for free is because if they do it for one outside group, they'd have all the others trying to get it, too. And, like it or not, Oceania has no stake in Cruise Critic, so we ARE an "outside" group.

They WILL "organize the chairs", so to speak, and have even roped off an area of Horizons or the Sanctuary or where ever and put up a "private party sign" for Cruise Critic parties. But, don't expect anything more, like food and drinks, without paying for them.

They WILL "organize the chairs", so to speak, and have even roped off an area of Horizons or the Sanctuary or where ever and put up a "private party sign" for Cruise Critic parties. But, don't expect anything more, like food and drinks, without paying for them.

I have NEVER asked nor expected MORE than just an area set aside so we do not interfere with other people & prepare the waitstaff for an influx of people

Wanted to avoid a "flash mob" scene

The Concierge had offered to do the invitations so I asked on other cruises & all have been very helpful but I am ok if they do not have time to do invites

They just have to say no

YMMV

Lyn

We had excellent CC meetings on Regent; snacks and drinks included plus appearances by all top staff including the captain. Or was that Azamara? I think both.

Yes, Azamara still provides this event. And a link to sign up for them is included on these boards.

Perhaps I am from another planet. Hey, FDR, how costly is it to entertain your most enthusiastic customers? Some of us have been on the March 4th, 2013 Roll Call since last year. That others, not so enthusiastic resent it, is too bad. Where were they? It is easy to take for granted your repeaters. I am not suggesting that we will all flee if there isn't a grand M&G. However, bonds are tightened with caring behaviors. Are they not?

I appreciate the delicacy and subtlety that people have described in their approach to organizing these events.

We should never forget that there are always going to be many excellent repeat customers who have never heard of CC yet are still valuable in their own right.

I've been on cruises (not on O) where there have been organized groups of significant numbers of people and it is amazing just how much that can change the ambiance and social dynamic of the ship.

A carefully organized meet&greet in a location that doesn't inconvenience others is a wonderful thing, we just shouldn't expect to turn it into a major event and from what I see here nobody organizing them is trying to that.

Perhaps I am from another planet. Hey, FDR, how costly is it to entertain your most enthusiastic customers? Some of us have been on the March 4th, 2013 Roll Call since last year. That others, not so enthusiastic resent it, is too bad. Where were they? It is easy to take for granted your repeaters. I am not suggesting that we will all flee if there isn't a grand M&G. However, bonds are tightened with caring behaviors. Are they not?

I think perhaps you may have misconstrued some of my earlier statements. While I have formed my opinion partially based on conversations with Oceania personnel, they are also based on my own observations and are not an official statement of Oceania policy.

The point is not that it's too costly to entertain enthusiastic customers; it's that there are many groups that want private meetings. If those meetings involve food (even if limited to pastries or hors d'ouevres) or drinks, Oceania expects the group to pay for them. In this regard, members of Cruise Critic are no different than any other group. We may consider ourselves the "most" enthusiastic, but as Mark_T points out, we are not the only ones. We're not even the most numerous; the general consensus is that Cruise Critic members make up about 5% of the passengers, or less, on average.

Having said that, Oceania has always been willing to work with Cruise Critic roll Call members to set up a time and place without conflicts, and provide servers to take orders. This is the best course of action if the group is large, but it's true that the only available time and place may be later in the cruise. If the group is small enough, there is no prohibition against setting up one's own time and place; that's worked well for years.

Oceania's policy is simply to treat all groups the same. That's why they don't offer any "official" support of CC Meet & Greets.

I suppose that on ships with 3,000 or 4,000 guests, such a gathering probably goes largely unnoticed by those who are not CC'ers. Yes, Azamara has official parties on ships similar to Oceania, but that's largely a corporate decision driven by the parent company, which is a mass market, large ship organization (RCCL).

The point is not that it's too costly to entertain enthusiastic customers; it's that there are many groups that want private meetings. If those meetings involve food (even if limited to pastries or hors d'ouevres) or drinks, Oceania expects the group to pay for them.

Would you like a bigger shovel :rolleyes:

If you have a M & G in Horizons when coffee & pastries are available to all are you say Oceania is expecting members of the "GROUP" to pay extra for these :confused:

If the snacks are available to anyone in the bar with the purchase of drinks why would CC members or any other group be expected to pony up for them when other passenger do not have to :confused:

It may be best if we just carry on doing M & G in what ever way works for those organizing it & the GM of ship they are on at the time

Your reasoning is flawed IMO

Lyn

Would you like a bigger shovel :rolleyes:

If you have a M & G in Horizons when coffee & pastries are available to all are you say Oceania is expecting members of the "GROUP" to pay extra for these :confused:

If the snacks are available to anyone in the bar with the purchase of drinks why would CC members or any other group be expected to pony up for them when other passenger do not have to :confused:

It may be best if we just carry on doing M & G in what ever way works for those organizing it & the GM of ship they are on at the time

Your reasoning is flawed IMO

Lyn

Reason is not involved, just fact. Thanks to a friend, I now have in my possession a copy of the "Private Catering Menu" that is included in the upper suites certainly, and I believe I've seen it in the books in other cabins, as well. It shows the prices charged for cold and hot canapes, hors d'ouevres; cold shrimp. fruit selections and more. These are the prices charged to any private group gatherings; usually paid by the groups' sponsors. I'm sure Oceania would be more than happy to provide these types of "goodies" for any CC meet & greet if someone was willing to pay for them.

I agree it's best to keep on doing the CC get-togethers the way we have done them for years.

In the meantime, I have no need for a shovel, whatever you meant by that.

[quote name='hondorner']Reason is not involved, just fact. Thanks to a friend, I now have in my possession a copy of the "Private Catering Menu" that is included in the upper suites certainly, and I believe I've seen it in the books in other cabins, as well. It shows the prices charged for cold and hot canapes, hors d'ouevres; cold shrimp. fruit selections and more. These are the prices charged to any private group gatherings; usually paid by the groups' sponsors. I'm sure Oceania would be more than happy to provide these types of "goodies" for any CC meet & greet if someone was willing to pay for them.

I agree it's best to keep on doing the CC get-togethers the way we have done them for years.

In the meantime, I have no need for a shovel, whatever you meant by that.[/quote]
If a group want to have canapes or fruit platters yes of course they should request these items & yes they should pay if it is a private function
I have no problem with that
The majority of CC M & G are not held in the upper suites though

If the Oceania management want people to pay for the snacks provided in the bar then they should have it posted on the bar menu

Nuff said

Lyn

Archived