Review of Sapphire Beach

aimathy

I haven't been to St. Thomas in 4 years, and Sapphire Beach in 5 years. Hoping the weather is warm with lots of sunshine when we get there. :)

It's been a little over 2 now since I have been and I really really miss it. It still remains one of my favorite places.

So you will be there Tuesday? You should go on the volleyball court and wave hello to me that day!! We did that once at Maya Chan in Costa Maya since they have a web cam. When I returned, people on here were saying that they seen me and especially my little girl playing there. It was kinda neat. :p

It's been a little over 2 now since I have been and I really really miss it. It still remains one of my favorite places.

So you will be there Tuesday? You should go on the volleyball court and wave hello to me that day!! We did that once at Maya Chan in Costa Maya since they have a web cam. When I returned, people on here were saying that they seen me and especially my little girl playing there. It was kinda neat. :p[/quote]

We'll stay at Sapphire Beach for 3-4 hours, until we're done with it, then head up to Paradise Point for a Bushwacker and more pics. We always go up there for the same reasons each time; that view never gets old. Where's the volleyball court located?

Skyline Drive is a road that affords nice views,
Looking at Google maps, there are two routes from Havensight/WICO to Sapphire Beach--a faster inland route and a longer southern route that goes by Red Hook. Neither is marked with "Skyline Drive" so may I assume the longer, southern route is the most scenic one? I assume most taxi drivers would take the faster inland route unless one specifically requests the longer scenic ride? Thanks in advance for any clarification! Edited by Terpnut

Is that by those condos with the hammocks on the sand?

Hi Carib, are you hitting St Thomas before or after Tortola? We often stay on Tortola and then on STT before flying home. Two completely different destinations yet only an hour away by ferry!

There are actually three different condo resorts on Sapphire Beach, the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina is made up of 6 bldgs that are right on the beach. Some owners at Sapphire have hammocks but I can't remember seeing any on the sand while staying there. Bldg A is the first condo unit next to the dive center. We recently stayed in the corner unit of bldg A on the 2nd floor on the end facing bldg B. you'll see a hammock on that balcony.

Looking at the web cam I think you may be talking about the lounge chairs that are stacked by the net, is that what you are referring to?

here's the cam link showing the net and the stacked chairs

http://sapphireinthesun.com/

Edited by blue_water

Looking at Google maps, there are two routes from Havensight/WICO to Sapphire Beach--a faster inland route and a longer southern route that goes by Red Hook. Neither is marked with "Skyline Drive" so may I assume the longer, southern route is the most scenic one? I assume most taxi drivers would take the faster inland route unless one specifically requests the longer scenic ride? Thanks in advance for any clarification!

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html

You'll see Skyline Drive is rt 40 on the map (the red rt that rr 38 crosses. That's a nice drive before or after time at the beach.

We like taking rt 30 & 32 from town to Sapphire Beach, not necessarily anymore scenic but a bit nicer in some spots, and you can stop at Iggie's Beach Bar in Bolongo Bay on the way. Where a taxi is making stops will determine the route he takes. You also go through Red Hook. If hitting Coki first he'll probably take rt 38.

Here's the link to the web cam. Check it out (during the day...right now it's a little dark hehe).

Where we did all of the great snorkeling is directly in front of there. :)

LOVE the bushwacker!!! :D

What is a bushwacker? We are going up to paradise point after sapphire and just wondering whats in it.

The bushwacker is a pina colada type drinks, everyone has their own version. The Bailey's Bushwacker at PP is good (I've attached a link for a $2 coupon).

http://virginislandsthisweek.clipone.com/?clipone_coupon=coupon/c1238682283&clipone_action=print

The Backstreet Bushwacker at Coconuts downtown is also very good.

What is a bushwacker? We are going up to paradise point after sapphire and just wondering whats in it.

Hi can someone explain paradise point please? We're going on Explorer next week and intend to go to Paradise beach. Will a taxi driver be happy to stop at the point on the way back and what's there to see? Would like to do a bit of shopping too, did some in Charlotte last year but can't remember what shops there were at the port (think there were a few but memory is playing tricks). Not looking for anything in particular, just a browse. . . . . Though last time I said that I ended up buying another watch :-)

Thanks

The bushwacker is a pina colada type drinks, everyone has their own version. The Bailey's Bushwacker at PP is good (I've attached a link for a $2 coupon).

http://virginislandsthisweek.clipone.com/?clipone_coupon=coupon/c1238682283&clipone_action=print

The Backstreet Bushwacker at Coconuts downtown is also very good.

Thanks for the link but it expires before we go. I will have to check back to see if they have a new one before we go in april. My dh might like those he likes pina colada :).

Hi can someone explain paradise point please? We're going on Explorer next week and intend to go to Paradise beach. Will a taxi driver be happy to stop at the point on the way back and what's there to see? Would like to do a bit of shopping too, did some in Charlotte last year but can't remember what shops there were at the port (think there were a few but memory is playing tricks). Not looking for anything in particular, just a browse. . . . . Though last time I said that I ended up buying another watch :-)

Thanks

Looks like Explorer is docking at Havensight on March 19, and PP is an open-air restaurant/bar up the hill from the Havensight (WICO) dock. They have the Skyride (aerial tran/gondola car) you can ride up (tickets are available through your excursions desk or at the tram station which is a short walk from the Havensight dock) or you can taxi up. Also a ferris wheel, walking trail, and other things to see. A new owner is updating it but it is open.

There is shopping right in Havensight (several jewelry/watch stores there) or downtown Charlotte Amalie offers more shopping along with the historic areas.

LOVE Sapphire Beach and so far it remains my favorite port from our eastern Caribbean cruise.

IMG_1709-M.jpg

IMG_1710-M.jpg

IMG_1875-M.jpg

IMG_1870-M.jpg

IMG_2012-M.jpg

Awesome snorkeling right from the beach. If you want tons of pictures, here are all of the pictures I took that day including snorkeling pictures.

http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/4th-day-St-Maarten-1/13875332_BZdcm#!i=1017703050&k=nhpoV

Beautiful pictures. I have another type of question...I DO NOT LIKE those animals! The iguanas....they really make my stomach churn...Do they leave you alone? I have to say, I am really terrified of them! :eek:

The iguanas are fine and will leave you alone if you don't give them food. Poor iguanas. You will hurt their feelings!;)

Okay, thanks...I just DON'T LIKE THEM AT ALL. Really give me the creepy crawlies! I am going to be very careful where I step lol. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The geckos can startle you but you'll only see them on the buildings or in the grassy areas. The worst they'll do is try to sell you insurance though. :p

LOL....I need some clarification, tho...GECKOS? This is IN ADDITION to the iguanas??? :eek::eek::eek: Oh, cripes, I am going to need a lot of alcohol!

Trust me, you don't have to "watch" where you step, they are huge, there's no missing them. You can simply walk around them. There's not like a dog, they won't run along side of you following you. :D They mostly just sit there in the trees or on the sand and watch you. These iguanas here at Sapphire have got to be the FRIENDLIEST iguanas EVER. Every place I have been in the Caribbean, we have seen iguanas and they will completely scatter when they see you coming. Some times it's hard to get a picture because they run away. :(

Thanks

LOL....I need some clarification, tho...GECKOS? This is IN ADDITION to the iguanas??? :eek::eek::eek: Oh, cripes, I am going to need a lot of alcohol!

Sorry for the slightly off topic question, but how and where do I add my previous cruises? Keep looking in edit profile and not sure where to do this. Thanks.

Sorry for the slightly off topic question, but how and where do I add my previous cruises? Keep looking in edit profile and not sure where to do this. Thanks.

Look up top in the tan space you'll see "user CP." Click on that, then on Edit Signature. Then you'll see where you can put all your past cruises and/or a countdown clock. Be sure to click on the SAVE SIGNATURE button! :D:D

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html

You'll see Skyline Drive is rt 40 on the map (the red rt that rr 38 crosses. That's a nice drive before or after time at the beach.

We like taking rt 30 & 32 from town to Sapphire Beach, not necessarily anymore scenic but a bit nicer in some spots, and you can stop at Iggie's Beach Bar in Bolongo Bay on the way. Where a taxi is making stops will determine the route he takes. You also go through Red Hook. If hitting Coki first he'll probably take rt 38.

Thank you for the map and the clarification. For some reason, reading through some other posts, I had thought that the scenic Skyline Drive was in-route from Havensight to Sapphire, but I see that it is not.

Look up top in the tan space you'll see "user CP." Click on that, then on Edit Signature. Then you'll see where you can put all your past cruises and/or a countdown clock. Be sure to click on the SAVE SIGNATURE button! :D:D

Great thanks for that. I've done it so lets hope it works :-)