Family of 4 room options, votes welcome!

Orems

Hello,

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 3 and 6. Very torn between 3 room options on the Independence for August 2 week holiday. Do we go for space, nicest room, or purely cost. Feedback very welcome.

Cheapest, 2 connecting inside

Slightly more, one shared balcony

Slightly more, 2 connecting outside

Thanks for the advice!

Jennie

First, have you called to see if any Family Oceanview are available for your dates? Those rooms are often held back until closer to sailing. It's a very large outside with two round windows and a separate sleeping "cubby" for the kids with a curtain that completely encloses the room (and I understand some have a door). The only negative is the one bathroom.

Frankly, my first choice out of your listed options is:

1. Two ocean view connecting cabins

2. Two promenade interior connecting cabins (at least you could have a view to something while in your own room at night, and the kids might enjoy the window seat).

We've done one big cabin and a small inside with four. The inside was based on price and we were late in booking. But it worked well when the kids were small. I would have loved two toilets!:D We haven't done connecting now that they are older because it seems we always get a 5th and/or 6th person coming along so we book a suite. Two adjoining would be good, I just always like keeping us all together and one of mine is autistic(mild) so the bigger space and perks are better for him and everyone involved. ;) But like I said we shared a small inside and no problems or complaints from us or the kids. Good luck.

If it is not a lot more I would go with the two connecting outsides. The kids will get a kick out of the window, and it gives you two bathrooms. There is also the family prommanade rooms to consider. I personally would avoid a balcony with kids that young - but I am a paranoid over protective type Mom!:D

A few years ago we sailed on Carnival Freedom with two teenage boys. We had plenty of space in two connected outside cabins. My wife enjoyed the privacy as well. We did have to register the cabins with one adult/one son in each, but switched passes once in the cabins.

Two outsides that are connecting. Or, two promenades interior cabins. Thirdly, if it's price then two interiors. You will survive. It's not so bad at all.

Other than having two bathrooms, you'll also have two TV's. A big plus! So, you don't have to watch what they want. Plus, just more space. At nap time, if your kids take one still, will be easier on you and them.

We have cruised twice in one balcony cabin with our two grown children! Indeed, we did it because we had to do that, or simply not go together. You've asked for opinions and mine is that with kids that young, you do not need 2 bathrooms, you just don't (it'd be a luxury, but not a necessity). I, too, would worry about the kids on a balcony if I couldn't see them at all times. With one balcony cabin, you will all be together and your eyes will be focused on both kiddies and their safety.

Have fun, whatever you decide. :)

I'll add my vote for 2 bathrooms! If cost is an issue, go with insides, but if it's not that much more, get the outsides. The kids will enjoy the view. I have not cruised with kids yet, but I think the 2 bathrooms/2 TVs/double closet space would be appreciated.

I'd go with two connecting cabins. I think your options are (starting with the cheapest):

* One inside cabins with 2 upper pullman beds, like 6357.

* Two connecting inside cabins, like 6393/6395.

* Two connecting inside cabins with a promenade view, like 6321/6323 or 7587/7589. I would not recommend being on deck 6 directly above the English pub.

* Two connecting ocean view ("window") cabins like 2556/2558.

* Two connecting balcony cabins, like 7650/7652.

* Suites can cost more than two cabins, but check them out. But most suites have only one bathroom.

I don't know where the Family Interior (like cabin 2309) and Family Ocean View (like cabin 2568) fit into the pricing. But I bet these are already booked anyway. In fact, connecting cabins tend to book up. I would not wait too long to find something and put a down a deposit. You can always cancel before final payment date (USA bookings) for a full refund.

Personally, I'd go with two connecting inside cabins (not promenade view). We've had balconies and don't use them enough to justify the extra cost. Others say you definitely should have a balcony, or at least a promenade view. So, that decision is up to you.

I think one cabin is fine for kids that young. When mine were that young I never considered getting a second room. Now that I have teens and they can't seem to take a shower that is less than an hour long, two bathrooms has become a necessity. It would be nice having the second room though so you could stay up after they went to bed, if it is affordable for you.

Having been there and done that many times, many years ago, because of the age of your children, I vote for all of you in one balcony cabin.

This is my opinion too! The children are only 3 and 6. They do not need their own room. Two bathrooms and two TV's are not necessary.

We did one balcony quad until our daughters were 12 and 14, and then they got their own inside cabin across the hall from our balcony.

Hello,

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 3 and 6. Very torn between 3 room options on the Independence for August 2 week holiday. Do we go for space, nicest room, or purely cost. Feedback very welcome.

Cheapest, 2 connecting inside .

Slightly more, one shared balcony

Slightly more, 2 connecting outside

Thanks for the advice!

Jennie

We have two 4 yr olds and cruise in one room. This time a balcony. We've done a suite and an outside. Honestly I didn't feel we needed two rooms. Maybe when they get older into the tweens we might get two rooms. However, I will never cruise without a balacony again. I need outside space that is "my own".

It honestly depends on what is comfortable to you? Can you live without a balcony? Would you be happy in an inside? Do you think the boys would actually sleep in their own room? I know our then 3 yr olds couldn't be away from us. It's a different place and sleeping will be weird for them anyway. Really it's a personal decision I think.

I'd go with the two connecting outside rooms.

Or one room......as long as it has a sofa bed. The kids could sleep on it together. I wouldn't put them in the Pullman beds. I'd be afraid they'd fall off.

We are a party of five (myself, my husband, and 3 yo daughter) and then (my mother and aunt). We opted for 2 connecting outside cabins for two reasons. Initially we were going to book balcony rooms, but my daughter is a climber and that just freaks me out. Then we were going to book inside rooms and because one room would have three people we had to book a large inside, but it was only $30 more for the outiside room......so we upgraded to the room with a view for $30 bucks.

We also had the opportunity to book the family ocean view but it was a lot more than two connect outside rooms......and honestly that's just too many personalities in one room.....IMO.

Archived