Where is the best place to "buy" money?

DrivesLikeMario

Other than using ATMs in Europe, where is the best place to buy foreign currency? I thought I could order it at our bank, but they said they don't offer that service anymore. They suggested using Bank of America, but I'm wondering if there's somewhere else that has better rates. :confused:

Where do you get your Euros and Pounds Sterling?

Thanks for the help!

I buy it at my main Wells Fargo bank and their rates are excellent and they don't charge you if you have an account there. They will also buy back any paper money (not coins) when you return. I have bought everything from Canadian dollars to Russian rubles there. They seem to have everything.

We only have a Visa with Wells Fargo, not a checking or savings account. I wonder if we'd still have to pay?

So far, every time I look to buy currency online, they have a max. limit of $1500. We need much more than that. Does Thomas Cook limit the amt. you can exchange?

Thanks so much! :)

We also go to Wells Fargo. Last year when we went to Europe, they had the best exchange rate. If you don't have an account there, it would be easy enough to open one up. Our AAA office also sells money but they charge a fee and their exchange rate wasn't as good. Check your credit cards before you leave for Europe. Most credit cards now charge a transaction fee when using your credit card outside of the United States. We were charged 3% on every credit card charge. I wasn't aware of this fee before I went or else I would not have charged everything.

Archived