Satorini taxi

west coast grandma

A little reading here will show you the bus is also an option, at 2 euros, IIRC. The taxi will be 20 euros. Taxis will be plentiful in the morning. Suggest for the return trip, go to the bus stop in Oia. If there is a taxi there - that is the taxi stand for Oia- take it. If not, take the next bus.

Hi, thanks for the info, we are there on may on may7th. Private tour sounds great, I'll start searching for one, or if anyone has used one that they loved?

If you look down the board, there are several mentioned. However, you really don't need one. Many people, including ourselves, toured Santorini easily without one.

I hope you noticed the screen name of the other poster. Obviously someone with a not so hidden agenda.

I was wondering if it is difficult to get a taxi from fira to oia. Our ship is there in the morning before all the others arrive. Renting a car is not an option and the ships tour is too expensive just to wander around town.

You could also do what we did last September, when we arrived at the harbour the queue for the cable car was enormous so we took the advice of the cc forum and took a boat trip to Oia. This can be booked directly at the tender harbour you can book a return including a bus service from the harbour up to the town in Oia, you can also choose to take the bus back to Fira where you can look around and then take the cable car down to the harbour. You do have to decide on booking which option you want.

Rosalyn

You could also do what we did last September, when we arrived at the harbour the queue for the cable car was enormous so we took the advice of the cc forum and took a boat trip to Oia. This can be booked directly at the tender harbour you can book a return including a bus service from the harbour up to the town in Oia, you can also choose to take the bus back to Fira where you can look around and then take the cable car down to the harbour. You do have to decide on booking which option you want.

Rosalyn

Hi . Your idea is great !

Please give more detail about the boat ride. We were there few years ago and didn't see that. Thanks

Rosalyn

This sounds REALLY awesome. I have been to Santorini several times so I know the layout of the dock. Can you explain where I do this when I get off the tender? How long did it take to get to Oia? So, I cannot book any of this in advance?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a warning about Santorini taxis. It is easy to get a taxi in Fira by simply walking to the large taxi parking area located next to the bus station (about a 10 min walk from the top of the cable car). But there are often times when there will be no taxis waiting at Oia for the return trip to Fira....so if you are using taxis it is a good idea to arrange to have your taxi return at a set time. This is especially important if you are in Oia during the afternoon and will need to quickly get back to Fira (never a good idea to put yourself under pressure to get back to the ship).

Personally we have been to Oia many times (more then a dozen) and always use the bus or a rental car. For the price of round trip taxis we can usually arrange to rent a car for the entire day :)

Hank

Archived