Grand Suite 1264 not what we expected or wanted

Emma

We recently returned from a B2b on the Independence of the Seas. We booked a Grand Suite on each leg because I wanted to enjoy all the extra space on the cabin and on the balcony. We normally spend the greater portion of the day on the balcony. My DH finds a shady corner and I relax in the sun. We had to change cabins after the first week, I looked at deck 10 floor plan, I looked at deck 11 floor plans, unfortunately I did not realize the hot tub was bumped out. You guessed it, GS 1264 was directly underneath the bump out. I went to guest relations to see about changing cabins, the ship was full, out of luck. The room was fine, but dark; when you stepped out on the balcony, directly overhead is this huge white structure, the sides of the balcony were reinforced steel, the roof of the balcony was covered with what looked like the material used for a trampoline. The plexiglass was tinted a dark blue, so when you sat on the chair all you saw was the color of this deep blue. And of course not one bit of sun the whole trip. RCI says that the bump out is part of the structure of the ship so is not considered obstructed. It is outrageous that this is sold as a Grand Suite and no information given about the limitations of this cabin.

We recently returned from a B2b on the Independence of the Seas. We booked a Grand Suite on each leg because I wanted to enjoy all the extra space on the cabin and on the balcony. We normally spend the greater portion of the day on the balcony. My DH finds a shady corner and I relax in the sun. We had to change cabins after the first week, I looked at deck 10 floor plan, I looked at deck 11 floor plans, unfortunately I did not realize the hot tub was bumped out. You guessed it, GS 1264 was directly underneath the bump out. I went to guest relations to see about changing cabins, the ship was full, out of luck. The room was fine, but dark; when you stepped out on the balcony, directly overhead is this huge white structure, the sides of the balcony were reinforced steel, the roof of the balcony was covered with what looked like the material used for a trampoline. The plexiglass was tinted a dark blue, so when you sat on the chair all you saw was the color of this deep blue. And of course not one bit of sun the whole trip. RCI says that the bump out is part of the structure of the ship so is not considered obstructed. It is outrageous that this is sold as a Grand Suite and no information given about the limitations of this cabin.

Unfortunately, they don't take into consideration what is above, below or on either side of any cabin when listing it in the deck plans. They do list cabins with obstructed views only when the obstruction is not allowing one to look forward or to each side while standing at the railing of the balcony.

A GS on Independence is 401.5 square feet and is described as having a larger bathroom with double sinks and tub shower combination......a bar area with lots of drawers, a wall of closet space behind the bar, a living room area with a large sofa plus chair and a separate sleeping area. If this interior description fits the GS that you were booked in, then there were no limitations in this cabin and it was sold correctly.

Did you enjoy the CL on your cruise?:)

Edited by cruisenfever
  • Like 1

What class of cabin do you think it should be sold as? A GS is a GS anywhere on the ship. Your GS would have been exactly the same as a GS anywhere else on the ship. The fact that one of the cantilevered hot tubs is directly above does not change the type of cabin it is. Although it is unfortunate that Royal Caribbean's deck plan makes no mention of the hot tub being above that cabin you still had the correct class of cabin that you booked.

I would not have been pleased AT.ALL. Even looking at deck plans, it might not be readily obvious that there IS indeed obstructed view.

You should fill out a cabin review for this thread. It'll help others be aware -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1223724

(and like someone else posted within here, I wish that post would be stickied, or if they would make threads for each ship -- it would be such a great thing for people to have readily available access to!)

We had GS 1552 for our third leg (we booked two weeks in December in an OS and decided to stay aboard for one more week) and at the time of booking all that was available was a JS on the side, next to the stern. This was on the Brilliance of the Seas.

However, at the time of sailing, we were called and the ship upgraded us to an available GS. We were happy for the space, but by night 3 had discovered that we were under the bandstand at the pool.:eek:

Thank goodness there were only two nights where the music went on till 12:30 AM. I still can hear the drummers beat....when I concentrate. Actually, it was good music.:D

Fortunately, my DW wears ear plugs, so nothing bothered her.

Patti's point, which is well taken, is that all GS's except for the ones on the stern of certain ships, are identical, and have no obstructions.

We have never had sunlight in any of our OS's or GS's that I can remember. The only cabin that allowed sunlight in, both the cabin and balcony are several RS's.

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

Indy is different;)

Did you even look at the fish eye shot:rolleyes:

Well, which shipis on the right? It looks like a Voyager class ship to me. In fact, looking at the balcony structure, I would say it is either, Voyager, Explorer, or Adventure.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Well, which shipis on the right? It looks like a Voyager class ship to me. In fact, looking at the balcony structure, I would say it is either, Voyager, Explorer, or Adventure.

I would agree with you on that.

Sorry:p

Indy in the first shot showing hot tub/suite under

Indy and Mariner in the second shot, Indy on the left

It isn't a Freedom class ship on the right and it isn't Mariner either.

Edited by Ocean Boy
  • Like 1

The set up of Freedom must be different from IOS. When we were in 1264, the hot tub only covered about half our balcony, which made it nice ,because we had some shade to relax in if we wanted. Also, the plexiglass had more of a yellowish tint to it which didn't bother us at all.

Are you sure you were in 1264. We've been in 1268 on Freedom and it appeared that 1264 was entirely covered. There's no 1266 so we were right next door. We even checked it out from the water while on an excursion. My comment to DW at the time was that we dodged a bullet by one cabin. It looked worse from the water.

What is kind of ironic is that I noticed the suite balcony issue while looking over at Freedom in Falmouth on Wednesday. I also thought that regular balconies would be better suited then. I also rarely book suites, since they are normally immediately below the pool deck, and in the past, I have noticed the chair noise when on the top cabin deck.

Rubrrick:

We had balcony sun on Liberty GS1274 and Indy GS1298. Don't remember seeing sun in the cabin tho. No noise from above in either cabin

We have not experienced the Freedom class ships yet. Our first will be this coming December. As we are not sun worshipers, we love the balconies that provide shade.

Thanks for letting us know that you have sun on your balconies!

Rick

We had GS 1552 for our third leg (we booked two weeks in December in an OS and decided to stay aboard for one more week) and at the time of booking all that was available was a JS on the side, next to the stern. This was on the Brilliance of the Seas.

However, at the time of sailing, we were called and the ship upgraded us to an available GS. We were happy for the space, but by night 3 had discovered that we were under the bandstand at the pool.:eek:

Thank goodness there were only two nights where the music went on till 12:30 AM. I still can hear the drummers beat....when I concentrate. Actually, it was good music.:DRick

My longest night at sea was when we had a GS on the Grandeur on our first cruise to Bermuda. On the we spent in Bermuda, there was a midnight pool party. The buffet was directly over us - the bandstand just slightly to the left. The band played to 1:30. Since it was just a bit to the left, I couldn't tell if the music was good - we could only hear the bass. The cleanup lasted until three. DH slept through it - I still don't know how. I was too tired to enjoy my final day in Bermuda. Ugh. No more cabins under the pool deck for me.