Grand Suite 1264 not what we expected or wanted

Emma

OK...I'm a noob...it's early Monday AM and I'm trying to multi-task...apparently I can't read either.

Gina, so sorry for confusing you! Not my intention!

The original information came from KRRIECAT and it reads as follows;

"I had cabin 1256 on Liberty about a year ago. It is not under the hot tub. I was a little concerned because it looked like it was when I first tried overlaying the deck plans. Then I noticed that deck 10 and 11 plans were not the same scale (elevators don't line up) and realized that the hot tubs were further toward the back of the ship then they originally appeared. All the GS balconies are covered, but the hot tubs hang out and block most of the sun from some of the cabins. I'm like the OP and want to have some sun when I'm on the balcony. Cabins 1260, 1560, 1268, & 1568 have balconies that are partially blocked from above by the whirlpool. Cabins 1264 & 1564 are completely blocked. I wouldn't want any of those cabins!

The OP didn't mention noise issues, but on Liberty the people in cabin 1264 complained about a low "humming" noise and wall vibrations when the hot tub motors were running. We didn't have any problems with noises in 1256. The area on deck 11 above cabin 1256 is somewhat enclosed and not an ideal place to catch rays. We didn't hear chairs scraping or any noise from bands.

SCOTT: I would try to change cabins if I were you. Your balcony will be about 1/3 - 1/2 covered by the hot tub overhang."

Sorry....

Scott

We've never experienced any disturbing noise so I never thought twice about being under the pool deck but then again, we've only had suites on Freedom and Voyager classes.

We had noise on Mariner in GS 1286. We were woken a couple of times at 2-3am with chairs being dragged across the deck and again the nights of the White Party which seemed to be right overhead. I agree that the suites should be down at least one deck.

No. The site allows you to look at the deck plans and drag them over each other. Anything more than that I think they charge.

Go to the site and follow these directions:

- pick the the cruiseline from the list on the right.

- pick the ship

- once the next page opens you should see three tabs: Navigation,

Staterooms, and Deck key

- click Navigation

- click Drag decks

The decks should appear starting with top deck. Just click and drag the deck you want.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was completely blind to the little tabs, that's why I kept getting directed to the pay page.

Seeing as you asked, I just checked Adventurer. Deck 12 lined up with 11 but 8 was a little off from 7. It must vary ship to ship and deck to deck.

So I just did the Allure, and deck 6 and 7 were almost spot on, but the deck above and below them weren't even close.

I have 1260 booked for a cruise in June. This thread now has me wondering if I should not try to move the room now.

If you indicated that 1264 had some of the balcony covered....do you remember if the majority of the hot tub was further forward or aft of your old cabin?

Geez I never thought that this would be a problem.

Thanks

Scott

Mainly aft, but we didn't consider it a problem. The shade was nice !

• 2 weeks later...

So disappointed!

We booked Grand Suite 1264 on IOS, taking our children and very young grandchildren, as a special treat. We now realise it's under the cantilevered whirlpools and our suite balcony will be in complete shade.

Why did this not come up (as an observation / obstruction) on booking?

When you pay the extra for a Grand Suite, you expect to be able to enjoy sun on your balcony I would have thought?

I rang Royal Caribbean today to ask if we could be moved for our May sailing. They said there were no upgrades available but that I could downgrade if I go back to my Agent!!!

They agreed that this should be highlighted but their system doesn't allow for it ! Just not good enough.

Told me to go back to my Agent.

I've recently had breast cancer with a mastectomy and to be able to sunbathe in privacy on our balcony is part of my holiday, so this is a huge disappointment.

We recently returned from a B2b on the Independence of the Seas. We booked a Grand Suite on each leg because I wanted to enjoy all the extra space on the cabin and on the balcony. We normally spend the greater portion of the day on the balcony. My DH finds a shady corner and I relax in the sun. We had to change cabins after the first week, I looked at deck 10 floor plan, I looked at deck 11 floor plans, unfortunately I did not realize the hot tub was bumped out. You guessed it, GS 1264 was directly underneath the bump out. I went to guest relations to see about changing cabins, the ship was full, out of luck. The room was fine, but dark; when you stepped out on the balcony, directly overhead is this huge white structure, the sides of the balcony were reinforced steel, the roof of the balcony was covered with what looked like the material used for a trampoline. The plexiglass was tinted a dark blue, so when you sat on the chair all you saw was the color of this deep blue. And of course not one bit of sun the whole trip. RCI says that the bump out is part of the structure of the ship so is not considered obstructed. It is outrageous that this is sold as a Grand Suite and no information given about the limitations of this cabin.

No comment on the obstructed view issue, but that damn dark blue tint that you can't even see the water through is a real case of the red a** for me. We just sailed Inde JAN 2013, balcony 7522, and had clear glass, to my relief. Had the blue stuff on a different ship previously and my blood pressure went up every time I tried to sit outside and the only thing I could see was from the horizon up. My guess is that it keeps them from having to clean the glass as much.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

So disappointed!

We booked Grand Suite 1264 on IOS, taking our children and very young grandchildren, as a special treat. We now realise it's under the cantilevered whirlpools and our suite balcony will be in complete shade.

When you pay the extra for a Grand Suite, you expect to be able to enjoy sun on your balcony I would have thought?

I rang Royal Caribbean today to ask if we could be moved for our May sailing. They said there were no upgrades available but that I could downgrade if I go back to my Agent!!!

They agreed that this should be highlighted but their system doesn't allow for it ! Just not good enough.

I've recently had breast cancer with a mastectomy and to be able to sunbathe in privacy on our balcony is part of my holiday, so this is a huge disappointment.

I'm sorry you've had cancer. So have I.

Melanoma.

Gina

So disappointed!

Probably not listed as obstructed because using that logic, every cabin on every ship in RCL's fleet (not sure about Oasis and Allure) on the deck below the pool deck (suite or not) would have to be listed as obstructed. The pool deck overhangs the deck below it on every ship.

Everyone seems to have their favorite cabins--ours happens to be GS 1268 on FOS and have it again this Nov. for the 5th year in a row. It feels like we are coming home every time we board and get to our cabin. We like the balcony with shade and sun!

Just need to do a little homework and study deck plans, visit CC often, and/or find web sites that offer more details. If you have a TA they should also know the deck plans of each ship.

Probably not listed as obstructed because using that logic, every cabin on every ship in RCL's fleet (not sure about Oasis and Allure) on the deck below the pool deck (suite or not) would have to be listed as obstructed. The pool deck overhangs the deck below it on every ship.

We'll be the Navigator and the one thing we don't look forward to is the full sun that will shine on our aft balcony. We'd rather have the overhang. So that's probably why they don't list it as obstructed - there are many who consider it a good thing, well, except for the noise above it.

IMG_0066.JPG

I have never attached a picture here , so no idea if this will work, I would say the overhang was at least 10- 12 foot out and the blue color really was annoying. That was our first experience with the severe tint and it just changes everything. A Grand Suite is wonderful for the size and the perks , but not in this case for me, I would have saved the money and the aggravation and booked a junior suite if I was aware of this.

Wow, it looks like that panel has really dark tinting. I can't imagine what the reasoning was for making it that way.

Our balcony glass next door didn't appear that dark. I'm guessing that the shadow from the tub makes it appear worse than on other balconies.

The blue tint in the picture is the actual color we had on our balcony, and it was all shade AND it was ugly to look at. One person at guest relations told me she never heard anyone complain about this, I found that surprising but the fact is I paid a good sum of money for this room and had no knowledge that this grand suite was unique with this UFO structure above it. I did look at the deck plans and my worry was about noise, I saw the hot tub above but did not pay attention to the actual bump out part of it on the deck plan. This huge bump out was the first time I saw it on a ship and we have stayed in Grand Suites many times but never on this class of ship

How would anyone feel about booking any balcony in a well loved ship such as the Adventure of the Seas and find that their balcony railing is actually the superstructure of the ship? - white solid metal. You must stand up to see out without the luxury of a translucent blue plexiglass railing to see through.

Almost all the Radiance class ships have an overhang sticking WAY out over the deck 10 balconies - full suites included.

I call this a book and learn situation. If you don't like the balcony arrangement on a particular ship, don't book it again. It's not worthy of a complaint to guest services. They have more serious issues to deal with.

• 11 months later...
Okay will try this again with picture

[ATTACH]260419[/ATTACH]

Thank you for this thread. We had the same cabin booked for our upcoming April trip. Fortunately we were able to switch tonight as we would not have been happy with that cabin.

Thank you for this thread. We had the same cabin booked for our upcoming April trip. Fortunately we were able to switch tonight as we would not have been happy with that cabin.

I am pleased that my posting will help with your enjoyment of your cabin and balcony. We were on a cruise last month and were at the pier with the IOS and were clearly able to pick out our cabin , no fond memories of that balcony. Enjoy your cruise.

Maureen