Windstar expanding?

dandee2

Read in the Miami Herald today in the travel section.

"Windstar’s energetic president and CEO, Hans Birkholz, said that bookings for 2013 are up 60 percent over 2012, and that the cruise line is looking to expand. Birkholz said that means additional ships, coming soon, though the vessels may be without sails.".......

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/26/3195371/windstar-cruises-anew-with-three.html

dandee2

Read in the Miami Herald today in the travel section.

"Windstar’s energetic president and CEO, Hans Birkholz, said that bookings for 2013 are up 60 percent over 2012, and that the cruise line is looking to expand. Birkholz said that means additional ships, coming soon, though the vessels may be without sails.".......

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/26/3195371/windstar-cruises-anew-with-three.html

dandee2

Interesting ... but it seems that doing it without sails would kind of take the 'wind' out of it. ;):rolleyes:

A few weeks ago I received a survey on potential Windstar expansion. Some of the questions specifically had to do with sails on the "new" ships.

I know last year I was on a Windstar cruise and they were specifically talking about the expansion plans and that the current 3 ship fleet was not really economically viable and they needed more ships to cover the fixed costs of running a cruise line.

The 3-ships line might not have been profitable last year but since then booking have increased rapidly compare to the same time last year (dixit Windstar). They also approached Club Med about buying Club Med 2 (search google news) but there was at the time no interest to sell (playing hard to get?).

In any case, IMHO (mostly because i have no idea about the market), any ship without sail will be playing in the same market as Seabourn and all the other upscale cruise line. What sets Windstar appart are the hybrid technology. This is the reason I tried my very first cruise on a Winstar ship last dec. and that I will go again.

I am not sure a "Wind Pride" would fly!

Cheers!

Word last week was that they may be taking over the older Seabourn ships that are now not up to Seabourn's "new" standard . . .

Those older ships currently carry around 200 guests, so that would preserve one of the important things for us. We just are not that keen, anymore, on going sailing with several thousand of our 'closest' friends. The bigger the new ships became, the more we looked for small ships, I like ships, but when they become the size of Manhatten including Central Park ... that is no longer a ship ... it's an island. :eek:

IMHO, Windstar has a price point lower than Seabourn, SeaDream and other small ships.

The sails add a significant amount of maintenance cost and the question becomes if the sails add enough value to offset the added maintenance cost. Personally, I would rather have lower cost cruise than have the sails (all things being equal).

Also, we much prefer the Star and Spirit over the Surf. To us, the Surf is just too large.

Taking over the "old" Seabourn ships would be great in that the cost to acquire the ships would be relatively low (compared to a new build), yet would allow the service etc that we are used to. This would allow Windstar to maintain its price point and not directly compete with Seabourn etc.

Hi, in answer to the above post- do not the sails save expensive fuel by using the wind to propel the ship?

Or is this in fact minimal?

I remember being told years ago on QE2 that when they changed to diesel electric rather than steam turbine they experienced a fuel saving of 30% - however the increased maintenance costs nearly offset this saving. Of course oilfuel was way cheaper then.

Perhaps this is a similar situation???????

Also from above post - as I understand it Windstar is not inclusive of booze so should be less cost than Seabourn.

Look forward to your clarification, we are trying to pluck up the courage for 14 straight days at sea on Windsurf.

We briefly looked at a smaller ship TereMoana run by Paul Gaugin but the reviews are terrible so we've given up on this idea.

Hi, in answer to the above post- do not the sails save expensive fuel by using the wind to propel the ship?

Or is this in fact minimal?

Depending on the itinerary, the sails are up most of the time. However, they also have the engines running the vast majority of the time (Probably about 85-90% of the time is my guess). I don't know how much fuel this saves but I have a hard time believing that it offsets the cost of maintenance and replacement of the sails and related systems. If the sails were cost effective then I would assume that Windstar would want sails on its new ships.

There are 4 6 cyl. diesel engines in WindSurf generating power to 2 electrical propulsion motors (2 variable pitch screws). Some diesel engine are running all the time to produce electricity (lights, power, A/C, etc). Price of fuel is very volatile and not expected to go down. Sail maintenance is probably a fix cost and the mast and accessories were probably over-engineered. They sailed from Barcelona and St-Martin on sail alone to finish the renovation on Windsurf.

Just finished reading an excellent book by J. Nevinski about the building of Wind Star. Done almost with no computer help.

We have been hoping for years and have been told for years that Windstar wanted to buy the sister ship to the Wind Surf, the Club Med. ship. We still hope they do. We love all three ships equally and have had 13 shared experiences, the sails and the ships are it for us. While Seabourn might be ok, Club Med. purchase is something we would love to see. There is something so beautiful and magical about the Windstar Ships. I am so happy they are doing better, have no idea how we would vacation otherwise. We are on Oct. 5 Istanbul/Athens, can not wait. My advice buy the Club Med. ship now. Devoted and serious fan of Windstar. Susanne

Depending on the itinerary, the sails are up most of the time. However, they also have the engines running the vast majority of the time (Probably about 85-90% of the time is my guess). I don't know how much fuel this saves but I have a hard time believing that it offsets the cost of maintenance and replacement of the sails and related systems. If the sails were cost effective then I would assume that Windstar would want sails on its new ships.

We were on sail power alone a couple times last year and the Surf was doing better than eight knots. If they did not save fuel, why would they do it? But, we leave tomorrow. I'll ask Captain John.

Probably make sense in an economic point of view. A bank can always reposess a ship already built. As for building a new sailship* Windstar doesn't have a strong enough bank account IMO (collateral?). Once they can prove it is viable I would like WD to try to get CM2 or a new built.

*Wind Surf cost in 1992: $117M ($220M in 2012 value).

dandee2

Capt. John Clark always seems to be a favorite for good reason. He seems to have different rotations than the other captains. We hope he has not resigned. Capt. Mark Boylan is also a terrific Captain. I wonder who will be doing the Tahiti run. Susanne

Just disembarked Windsurf. Scuttlebut on board. Owner of Windstar (now on board) has purchased the 3 smaller Seabourn ships.

Confused. Where did you disembark? We are in St. Maarten ready to embark tomorrow when it arrives.

Just sailed the Windstar Colon to Puerta Caldera(1/5-1/13)and our Captain was Alan Macary. Our understanding was that he was filliing in for the regular Windstar Captain and would, at some point, return to the Windsurf. He was fabulous by the way-really felt like the atmosphere on board was the best we have ever experienced due to his presence and also to that of Hotel Manager Matteo Martini who is also super!

Just sailed the Windstar Colon to Puerta Caldera(1/5-1/13)and our Captain was Alan Macary. Our understanding was that he was filliing in for the regular Windstar Captain and would, at some point, return to the Windsurf. He was fabulous by the way-really felt like the atmosphere on board was the best we have ever experienced due to his presence and also to that of Hotel Manager Matteo Martini who is also super!

Loved Alan--such fun!

We sailed with him on the Queen's birthday and there was a special tea with streamers and party hats. He showed up in a paper mask of her face with the eyes and mouth cut out--hysterical!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived