Trunk bay or sapphire beach?

USU_Aggie

Planning on finding my own way to one of these with seven family members. We have a few snorkelers, a few beach sitters, and some shoppers. Zero alcohol drinkers. I would prefer soft sand, chairs, restrooms, and food.

We haven't been to the caribbean before.

Sent from my iPad

We went last year on a cruise to St. Thomas and took a taxi to Red Hook Dock (about 12-14.00 for two) then took the Ferry to St. John ($ 21.00 round trip) then another taxi to Trunks Bay. The cost to go to Trunks Bay was a meer $ 6.00 each as it is part of the U.S, Park System. This was one of the most beautiful beaches and water that I have found. Great for snorkeling and paddle skiing.

If you have never been to St Thomas, I would recommend one of the beaches there. With 7 people you are going to spend a tidy sum on taxis, ferries, taxis, not to mention the time in transit to get to St John... Either a combination beach/shopping island tour (to get a feel for the island) or a shopping/beach tour would tick off items on everyone's list. :)

We went to Saphire Beach in May of last year. It was pretty, but just ok in comparison to other beautiful beaches that we have been to. The real kicker was that they did not have running water in the bathrooms. After DH and DS went to use the restroom and reported how nasty they were and the lack of water, I just cut our trip short and waited until we got back on the ship. It really bothered me that the restaurant and bar was right beside the bathrooms and they said that they don't have water either. It didn't seem like a big deal to them as if it were the norm. I just can't imagine eating at a restaurant that doesn't have running water. I have heard that others have loved this beach, but it wasn't our cup of tea.

We went last year on a cruise to St. Thomas and took a taxi to Red Hook Dock (about 12-14.00 for two) then took the Ferry to St. John ($ 21.00 round trip) then another taxi to Trunks Bay. The cost to go to Trunks Bay was a meer $ 6.00 each as it is part of the U.S, Park System. This was one of the most beautiful beaches and water that I have found. Great for snorkeling and paddle skiing.

Thanks south Alabama, that sounds like my cup of tea. A little traveling adventure along with done good snorkeling.thanks

Shane

Trunk and Cinnamon are very nice but realize they do get crowded, esp Trunk. Snorkeling is OK there but beaches further up the shore are less busy and offer excellent snorkeling but also less protected (Maho, Francis). Figure about $44pp roundtrip via taxi to the Red Hook ferry and taxi to the beach.

Sapphire is a very nice beach and the restrooms are fine, you can see pictures in another thread on this forum. They can get a bit rough after a several visitors have used them but they're nicer than most I've seen throughout the Caribbean (and the US for that matter!). There is a dive center that sells cheap drinks and rents chairs, snorkel gear, kayaks, floaties, and stand-up paddle boards, a beach shack (Banana Cabana) that serves a great mahi mahi sandwich and burger and frozen drinks, and a restaurant behind the marina with more food options. Not sure where the running water question was from but I would tend to disagree with cruisingsoon88, Sapphire is a very nice beach and a great place to spend the day. We just returned from our second week stay at Sapphire and can't imagine a better spot to stay - great island views, pool (for condo guests only), dive center, snorkeling, marina with many daysail options as well as jet-skis - it really has it all. $18pp roundtrip taxi and you're there at least 1.5 hrs more to relax.;)

Trunk and Cinnamon are very nice but realize they do get crowded, esp Trunk. Snorkeling is OK there but beaches further up the shore are less busy and offer excellent snorkeling but also less protected (Maho, Francis). Figure about $44pp roundtrip via taxi to the Red Hook ferry and taxi to the beach.

Sapphire is a very nice beach and the restrooms are fine, you can see pictures in another thread on this forum. They can get a bit rough after a several visitors have used them but they're nicer than most I've seen throughout the Caribbean (and the US for that matter!). There is a dive center that sells cheap drinks and rents chairs, snorkel gear, kayaks, floaties, and stand-up paddle boards, a beach shack (Banana Cabana) that serves a great mahi mahi sandwich and burger and frozen drinks, and a restaurant behind the marina with more food options. Not sure where the running water question was from but I would tend to disagree with cruisingsoon88, Sapphire is a very nice beach and a great place to spend the day. We just returned from our second week stay at Sapphire and can't imagine a better spot to stay - great island views, pool (for condo guests only), dive center, snorkeling, marina with many daysail options as well as jet-skis - it really has it all. $18pp roundtrip taxi and you're there at least 1.5 hrs more to relax.;)

I found this video (

) and it really sold me on trunk bay.

thanks for all the great input

I really urge you to try a day of sailing with Kathleen at highpockets. If you want to snorkel, she will take you to a private cove. A fantastic day of sailing, snorkeling and food. NOT snorkeling with 50 people and getting kicked in the face. Only 6 people total on her sail boat. She arranges transportation for you from the cruise ship. THE BEST DAY you will have. google it or check her out on trip advisor.

I really urge you to try a day of sailing with Kathleen at highpockets. If you want to snorkel, she will take you to a private cove. A fantastic day of sailing, snorkeling and food. NOT snorkeling with 50 people and getting kicked in the face. Only 6 people total on her sail boat. She arranges transportation for you from the cruise ship. THE BEST DAY you will have. google it or check her out on trip advisor.

What is the cost

Posted from my Android

What is the cost

Posted from my Android

Info from another poster on another thread - $140pp (a little too high for my budget). Sounds great though, if we hadn't already booked Calabaza in Barbados, I'd consider Highpockets.

Info from another poster on another thread - $140pp (a little too high for my budget). Sounds great though, if we hadn't already booked Calabaza in Barbados, I'd consider Highpockets.

thanks. too much. i'm looking forward to trunk bay a lot.

how rough is the surf?

There are actually several excellent daysails that hit a few snorkel spots off St John, most are in the $125 - 140 range. We took the New Horizons out last week while staying at the Sapphire resort, very nice 65' sloop with a max of 15 ppl (we had 8) and a great Italian lunch and excellent drinks (Nooners and Painkillers). They go by the sea conditions as all operators do and choose the best areas for a snorkel. We hit Honeymoon Beach/Caneel Bay and a spot off St James, a bit rough at Honeymoon but it was January too. Their price is $75pp for a 6 hr sail (10AM - 4PM). Great day and cheap! Just an alternative to the land tour and Trunk and Cinnamon both of which are very nice!

There are actually several excellent daysails that hit a few snorkel spots off St John, most are in the $125 - 140 range. We took the New Horizons out last week while staying at the Sapphire resort, very nice 65' sloop with a max of 15 ppl (we had 8) and a great Italian lunch and excellent drinks (Nooners and Painkillers). They go by the sea conditions as all operators do and choose the best areas for a snorkel. We hit Honeymoon Beach/Caneel Bay and a spot off St James, a bit rough at Honeymoon but it was January too. Their price is $75pp for a 6 hr sail (10AM - 4PM). Great day and cheap! Just an alternative to the land tour and Trunk and Cinnamon both of which are very nice!

blue_water thanks for lot of valuable info you are providing about options at St. Thomas. I am curious why there is so much price difference between New Horizons and Yacht Nightwind. Is the experience going to be so much better on Yacht? We prefer smoother sail as I am worried I will get sea sick if the sea is sloppy when we are there. We are not drinkers nor we care much about the continental breakfast Nightwind provides.

I spoke with the owners of YN because we were looking at condos by the Sapphire Marina ( they also give a discount on the daysail if you rent their condo but that's beside the point). It sounds very similar to the New Horizons day, except a couple runs YN while there is a captain, a chef, and a captain-in-training on the NH. We chose NH because we liked the hours more and the Italian lunch sounded better and that was great. My wife is still trying to get their green bean salad recipe.

Since I haven't been on the YN I can't fairly compare the two. All I can tell you is i know others liked their day on the YN, and we had a great day on NH and the crew was great. We watched them both sail while staying at the Sapphire, and both looked nice. The NH is a 65' sloop and even in rougher water it was very smooth sailing.

By the way, they make the blended drinks on the boat and you can have the Nooner and Painkiller with no alcohol. We highly recommend the Nooner, it's a very good concoction!

Thank you for this information, we have a party of 4--2 adults/2 kids and I have been pretty much sold on visiting Trunk Bay. Only hesitation is getting back and forth and amount of time that takes. How much time did you have at trunk bay? Outside of the time constraints, it is our 1st time in St. Thomas and other option was doing Lindquist Beach and hopefully if time permits a drive to paradise point or Drake's Seat.

Thanks for the recommendations. Have done a bit of reading on New Horizon's web page. It states they are certified or 37 passengers but a "typical day" is around 15. You state they take a max of 15 ppl. I will e-mail for clarification. would hate to be onboard with 30+.

A little info could help? We are planning on a catamaran on Barbados also, but we can't decide which one? We like three: our friends did silver moon and had great things to say about them, I like cool runnings reviews and Web site, and last is elegance catamaran???

Any advice?

Thanks Shane

I spoke with the owners of YN because we were looking at condos by the Sapphire Marina ( they also give a discount on the daysail if you rent their condo but that's beside the point). It sounds very similar to the New Horizons day, except a couple runs YN while there is a captain, a chef, and a captain-in-training on the NH. We chose NH because we liked the hours more and the Italian lunch sounded better and that was great. My wife is still trying to get their green bean salad recipe.

Your posts here and I think with different name on TA helped me decide to book a tour with NH. I thought about Trunk Bay but with 6 ships, spring break, and NCL Epic docking at 9am AST means we miss the first ferry to St. John's. To avoid crowded beach and factoring all the costs involved with travel, food, chairs and snorkel gear rentals, it is a no brainer to go with NH as we want to snorkel bad and probably we can swim to Honeymoon Bay beach if we want to relax for an hour in shallow waters.

How deep is the snorkeling areas NH stops? Also, I hope he carries lot of floats as some of us are not swimmers but can manage to snorkel with snorkel vest and floats like noodles.

Your posts here and I think with different name on TA helped me decide to book a tour with NH. I thought about Trunk Bay but with 6 ships, spring break, and NCL Epic docking at 9am AST means we miss the first ferry to St. John's. To avoid crowded beach and factoring all the costs involved with travel, food, chairs and snorkel gear rentals, it is a no brainer to go with NH as we want to snorkel bad and probably we can swim to Honeymoon Bay beach if we want to relax for an hour in shallow waters.

How deep is the snorkeling areas NH stops? Also, I hope he carries lot of floats as some of us are not swimmers but can manage to snorkel with snorkel vest and floats like noodles.

We didn't snorkel that day but just floated and then relaxed on the boat with drinks so I can't remember the depth but we could easily see the sea floor from the boat. We were moored and a good swim from the beach and the captain would take you in by dingy if you wanted. They do have inflatable vests and noodles.

Also I was looking at the south shore in St Thomas. Bongalo bay (I think that's right spelling). we are trying to do the less crowded and relaxing beach here. And this beach looks closer to ship dock. Any one been here?

Bolongo Bay is home to the resort with the same name. Decent beach but you must buy a day pass to use the pool and chairs on the beach. There's another thread where someone posted their unpleasant experience with the day pass and didn't get a chance to but them. They went to Iggie's Beach Bar which is right at the resort too and enjoyed their day there. Search the more recent threads and you'll come across their post.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is close to Crown Bay and the airport, and Morningstar Beach is close to Havensight dock. Bolongo is a 15 min ride from Havensight on the way to the town of Red Hook (where the ferries to St John and Tortola are) and Sapphire Beach, another 10 - 15 minutes.

Thanks for the recommendations. Have done a bit of reading on New Horizon's web page. It states they are certified or 37 passengers but a "typical day" is around 15. You state they take a max of 15 ppl. I will e-mail for clarification. would hate to be onboard with 30+.

My mistake, their typical day is 15 or less from what we saw during our stay there. They told us they keep the number down to make it a better day for everyone. They don't max out like some of the cats we've seen. This is a large outfit but they do a nice job in keeping each segment small.

Received an answer from New Horizons:

Yes, they are rated for 37 and do not limit passengers up to that amount.

We were advised that the boat is large and would not feel crowded.

Archived