Viking Rhine Getaway -- newbie questions

trish1c

60hrk ~ e-mail sent - and WELCOME to Cruise Critic!!

4vettes ~ we did take the optional dinner tour in Rudesheim - had a great time but that was because of the group from our ship - about 35-40. We returned to the ship about 9:30-10:00pm - I'm guessing on this! Dinner was at 7pm and tour included a ride on the mini-train to/from the restaurant. We decided to leave earlier and walk so we could see the CMs - we were happy we did! About a 15 minute walk along the riverfront and you can't miss the town plus we had a map from the front desk. It was dark and the CMs were all lit up and fantastic! I wish we had more time!! After dinner there was music - ship billed it as a Folklore Show but it really was a 4-piece combo that had some audience participation and we allhad SO much fun! The mini-train took us back to the ship which was great after eating and drinking!

Only other option tour was the WWII one to Colmar - John took that one - I wasn't doing "war" on this trip! He said it was worthwhile and interesting, especially the museum.

Ship's dinner varies slightly depending on evening;s activities: usually 7:00pm except: 7:15pm (Welcome dinner, cocktails were beforehand); 7:30pm (evening we were in Rudesheim); 6:45pm (Cologne since there was a bar-hoping tour) [i'm the crazy person who saves all the "Dailys"!!]

Water Level: I'm far from an expert on this! But, if I remember correctly, sometime in November I think I read here on CC that the river was high and the ship couldn't get to Basel so passengers had to be bused to Breisach to meet the ship. I also remember watching the weather like a hawk and it was raining, raining, raining around that time! We were very fortunate since we never used our umbrellas once! I woke up early the first morning in Basel and it was pouring out! ugh!! But by the tme we did get up it had stopped and, while overcast at times, we never saw any more rain! I would suggest that you also read the other threads on Rhine River cruising - can't remember eactly which one but there are some wonderful people who live along the Rhine who also post and are very helpful, especially with weather related answers! I have learned from them that the Rhine and the Danube are two different weather areas and can be completely different. On our cruise the weather was very unseasonal - warmer than usual but I think the Danube was colder. (Sorry if I'm babbling - hope some of this makes sense!)

I should be posting my silde show tomorrow or the next day - just have to proof it!! Again, ask away - as long as you don't mind l-o-n-g answers!!!!

Hello 4vettes,

hello FotoPeg,

the Rhine and Danube regions are divided from each other by the European water shed - which of course applies to a lot of smaller rivers as well. So the less-than-once-in-a-life-time flooding on the Danube this year was the equivalent of a once-in-ten-years flooding on the Rhine river. Roughly speaking.

Christmas time in Koblenz: this year saw IMO a reduction of quality and atmosphere of the Koblenz Christmas markets. However, I found the shopping centre in the town centre called Löhr-Center fantastically decorated. And: the Käthe Wohlfahrt shop had stalls there this year. If - next year - you miss the one in Rüdesheim there might be a chance the stalls will be back in Koblenz in 2014. Happy to enquire in November 2014 for anyone. :)

Perhaps not commonly known: the Viking ships normally always dock at Viking's own pier on the Rhine in Koblenz. Most other ships (perhaps 80%) dock on the Moselle river. The Moselle is just slightly closer to the old town.

Webcam overlooking the German corner:

http://www.bafg.de/php/deutsches-eck-gross.jpg

Have a Merry Christmas.

notamermaid

It is 48F now. Not exactly "Glühwein-weather". :D

Hello 4vettes,

hello FotoPeg,

the Rhine and Danube regions are divided from each other by the European water shed - which of course applies to a lot of smaller rivers as well. So the less-than-once-in-a-life-time flooding on the Danube this year was the equivalent of a once-in-ten-years flooding on the Rhine river. Roughly speaking.

Christmas time in Koblenz: this year saw IMO a reduction of quality and atmosphere of the Koblenz Christmas markets. However, I found the shopping centre in the town centre called Löhr-Center fantastically decorated. And: the Käthe Wohlfahrt shop had stalls there this year. If - next year - you miss the one in Rüdesheim there might be a chance the stalls will be back in Koblenz in 2014. Happy to enquire in November 2014 for anyone. :)

Perhaps not commonly known: the Viking ships normally always dock at Viking's own pier on the Rhine in Koblenz. Most other ships (perhaps 80%) dock on the Moselle river. The Moselle is just slightly closer to the old town.

Webcam overlooking the German corner:

http://www.bafg.de/php/deutsches-eck-gross.jpg

Have a Merry Christmas.

notamermaid

It is 48F now. Not exactly "Glühwein-weather". :D

Beautiful webcam picture! I am just starting my research for a Rhine/Moselle River cruise for about 1 week in September 2014 or 2015. Are there also local river cruise operators or just the main lines like Uniworld, AMA, Viking?

Hello banditoo,

by local operators I guess you mean the big companies based in Germany and other European companies.

There are, e.g. Transocean (see my signature), CroisiEurope, TUI, Arosa, etc. A couple more I cannot remember right now.

This is where it gets complicated: some companies only charter ships. So you have even more ships and companies actually offering cruises.

Some charter for the UK market, some for the German market. Some companies target the American market, meaning some ships are full of Americans, some have a mix of people from many countries (like my cruise on the Danube, Europeans from the North, East and the middle).

On top of that of course there are the companies that offer round trips and day trips, operating locally.

I suggest you have a good look round cruisecritic and use the google search engine with something like "Rhine river cruise tour" or similar, and of course, consult a good TA.

It is a busy river! :D

Have a good Christmas.

notamermaid

Not a white Christmas in the Middle Rhine valley this year.

Hello banditoo,

by local operators I guess you mean the big companies based in Germany and other European companies.

There are, e.g. Transocean (see my signature), CroisiEurope, TUI, Arosa, etc. A couple more I cannot remember right now.

This is where it gets complicated: some companies only charter ships. So you have even more ships and companies actually offering cruises.

Some charter for the UK market, some for the German market. Some companies target the American market, meaning some ships are full of Americans, some have a mix of people from many countries (like my cruise on the Danube, Europeans from the North, East and the middle).

On top of that of course there are the companies that offer round trips and day trips, operating locally.

I suggest you have a good look round cruisecritic and use the google search engine with something like "Rhine river cruise tour" or similar, and of course, consult a good TA.

It is a busy river! :D

Have a good Christmas.

notamermaid

Not a white Christmas in the Middle Rhine valley this year.

Thanks. Will look into those.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

Don't know if this link was posted on the thread - if you've all already seen it then just ignore my lateness - it a few weeks old but I'm just reading it with my morning coffee. It's a fabulous review/photos of the Baldur Rhine River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam! We were on the Rinda and the two ship's are slightly different décor wise but this could have been our trip - except we rarely had fog!! Great read and photos from a professional!! If you're going on the Rhine very helpful!!

Hope this link works - if not will re-send from my laptop.

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2013/12/viking-baldur-live-voyage-report-day1/utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+RiverCruiseAdvisor+%28River+Cruise+Advisor%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

Hello Got2Cruise,

I have yet to understand what the crucial difference between the two types of vessels might be. A longboat is, well, the old Viking way of exploring the seas and invading the rivers of Europe. See wikipedia for the history of the original longboat. The new ships built by Viking are a little longer than the older vessels while retaining the width, as, well, they cannot built them any wider, they would get problems in the older locks. But other companies build similarly-sized ships.

So what could be the real difference, why call it a longship rather than just a long ship?

Perhaps something an engineer or Viking representative can explain...

I have a certain feeling there might be some clever marketing involved here. The new ships all have names of Nordic gods and goddesses, remember?

Their website talks of innovation in style, space, etc.

All river cruise ships have the issue of making the most of the space available and, well, which company does not want to offer a stylish ship, I wonder?

Just my thoughts... at a time when the Viking Flusskreuzfahrten company ends trading on the 31 December 2013, Viking concentrating on the "Anglo-American" market.

notamermaid

Hello Got2Cruise,

I have yet to understand what the crucial difference between the two types of vessels might be. A longboat is, well, the old Viking way of exploring the seas and invading the rivers of Europe. See wikipedia for the history of the original longboat. The new ships built by Viking are a little longer than the older vessels while retaining the width, as, well, they cannot built them any wider, they would get problems in the older locks. But other companies build similarly-sized ships.

So what could be the real difference, why call it a longship rather than just a long ship?

Perhaps something an engineer or Viking representative can explain...

I have a certain feeling there might be some clever marketing involved here. The new ships all have names of Nordic gods and goddesses, remember?

Their website talks of innovation in style, space, etc.

All river cruise ships have the issue of making the most of the space available and, well, which company does not want to offer a stylish ship, I wonder?

Just my thoughts... at a time when the Viking Flusskreuzfahrten company ends trading on the 31 December 2013, Viking concentrating on the "Anglo-American" market.

notamermaid

I know what you mean.:) I remember reading here on CC that the Long ships have more pax, but not that much more square footage, so I'm a little skeptical. But they sure look nice. And if there is a choice of dining venues each night, that would be good too, but I am reading mixed reports about this too. I enjoy your posts notamermaid, keep them coming.

Edited by Got2Cruise

I'll be happy to - watch for it later this evening! :)

Hi Lori

I am researching river cruises. We have done over 30 cruises and this will be our first river cruise. Can you please send me a link to your blog, it will be a great help in my planning.

Thanks so much and Happy New Year. My email is cruiztime at yahoo dot com.

Marion

I think notamermaid is right on target that the Viking Longships are just "marketing". I really enjoyed the ship, don't get me wrong, I thought it light and airy - reception area had glass ceiling making it look almost endless and interesting! But I think this was all the product of a new ship - a new design - and a good one - clean lines, warm interiors, etc. Yet someone on these boards said it was boaring with no focal point - and without the Christmas decorations I might have agreed - not sure - will have to wait until October to see about that!

I think the only way to compare is just to take the dementions of the ship and cabins and compare to another ship/line. I'm sure every line is building ships that maximize storage and room in cabins - they'd be foolish not to - just like any oceanliner being built.

In short, I liked the Viking longship we traveled on but I agree that its just a name for the new ships!

As for alternate dining venues - there is the Aquivit Lounge in the evening but not with a full menu. We never ate dinner there so I'm not sure what's on the bar menu. Lunch time it was the site of the buffet - we always ate there just because we enjoyed the change - bk and diner in the DR; lunch in the lounge - with hot food + salad + soup + wine = good choices at lunch!

Hello Got2cruise,

thank you for the compliment. :o

hello FotoPeg,

as you know I briefly saw the inside of the Viking Rinda and I agree about the feel of space and light. It looks well designed. The Christmas decorations were great. I also tend to think that without them the ship might look too barren for me. From what I remember I found the look of lobby and lounge a little pale, in general I find the "Nordic look" of whites and creme colours with pale wood too "clean" for me.

As regards comfort, well, I of course leave all judgement to everyone who has travelled with Viking. :)

notamermaid

Yesterday, people in Germany rushed out to get fireworks for New Year's Eve. I hope everyone who is celebrating on the rivers of Europe will have a great time!

notamermaid

Yesterday, people in Germany rushed out to get fireworks for New Year's Eve. I hope everyone who is celebrating on the rivers of Europe will have a great time!

Do people still eat herring as part of the New Year's Eve tradition in Germany? My Grandparents were from South West Germany near Stuttgart and every year we had to go and buy some herring for New Years Eve.:)

• 2 weeks later...

cleophus12 ~ will send you Lori's blog tomorrow evening when we get home - on my Tablet right now at our son's house and don't have access to the blog.

Our Rhine Getaway was just fabulous!! I think it'd be a wonderful trip even without the Christmas Markets!!!

Peg, I'd like a copy of the blog too mkb0669@aol.com. I am enjoying your slideshow.

We are on the Viking Getaway Basel to Ams. What did others do in Rudesheim. I notice we arrive 630 pm and sail next day 8 am. It looks like most stores close at 5 or 6. We will be there in April so no Christmas markets.

Also, what did you and others do in Koblenz. Thanks.

M&T ~ just sent you Lori's Blog and glad you're enjoying the slide show!

Rudesheim - according to my daily, we were scheduled to arrive about 4:30pm and might have arrived just before that.

There was an optional tour from 6:30 to 9:30 that included a ride into town on a mini-train, dinner, "folklore show", and a ride back to the ship. The cost was 59euro. I probably spent more time discussing this tour then anything else pre-trip! We finally decided to go on the tour and I'm SO happy we did since we had a fabulous time - but all because of fun at the "show"! (We mainly decided to take the ship's excursion since it would be SO dark that I was concerned if it'd be wasy to just find a place to eat on our own.)

First, we decided not to take the train into the restaurant - even though it was very dark by 5pm, it was an easy walk along the river front to town - maybe 15 minutes - and we had our flash lights "just in case". I had talked to the CD, had a map and the address of the restaurant - she said no problem for us to join them there and we weren't the only ones who walked. The CMs were fun, even though we didn't buy anything but did enjoy looking, especially with all the lights! We found the street and restaurant with no problems - there were a few restaurants in the area and they were easy to reach - not a very big town.

When we got there the back of the restaurant was crowded with passengers from the other Viking ship docked and heading in the other direction! The were sailing about 11pm or so and were about 20 minutes ahead of us in eating! Dinner was OK - nothing fantastic. Salad, potato soup, pork loin with mashed potatos, sauerkraut, cabbage and apple cake, coffee.

The Folklore Show turned out to be a 4-piece combo playing American music - didn't hold the promise of much until the two CDs got some volunteers for shots and then the fun began with some games and dancing - turned out to be a really great night! Because it was SO dark - and the CMs were closed - we took the mini-train back to the ship to continue partying!! Some people decided to walk at that point - even with the markets closing it didn't look dangerous except for the possibility of tripping!

Now, and I've really thought about this, wpuld I recommend this tour to others? I'm not really sure. To me the best part, as I've said, was the fun with the other passengers, I could imagine it could also be very dull!! As for the food - I'd rate it a step lower than the ship, but then there maybe a 150 people total there from both ships.

Soooo.... after all that - my advice would be to check on the time of sundown for when you'll be there - that might help you decide how much you want to do on your own. As for the sailing time, its really calculated so that the next morning the ship arrives at the really scenic part of the Rhine River about 9am. It's just SO beautiful in that area with vineyards on the slopes and castles on the high ground and town along the river - watch for the little car ferries! and don't miss the train tunnels on each side! The CD gave a narrative during this part of the river - great for being on the top deck for photos and not having to follow reading anything but just listening! That part of the cruise lasted until about noon and the shore excursion to Marksburg Castle left at 1:30pm.

But back to Rudesheim - here's site about restaurants/pubs - we went to Breuer's Rudeshem Schloss. Rudesheim: Gastronomy & Cafés

Here's a site that has the mini-train. I guess its used for tours during the warmer weather and Viking arranges to have it for the dinner tour.

Hotel Rose und Ruedesheimer Winzerexpress - Ruedesheim am Rhein

You might want to also look into a gondola ride I think they have there - I didn't because of the time of year. I think the ride takes people up to the top of the surrounding hills.

Sorry this is SO longwinded!!! I'd just like to keep re-lving this trip!! Hope it helped a little!! And have a great time - especially in Cologne - my new favorite city!!!!!