Euros from Guest Services?

We'll be on Brilliance in March with a stop in Guadeloupe. I understand there are very few places there that accept U.S. dollars. What's the best way to obtain some Euros for this stop? Can you get Euros at the Guest Services desk? Should I try to bring some from home? Any other suggestions?

We'll be on Brilliance in March with a stop in Guadeloupe. I understand there are very few places there that accept U.S. dollars. What's the best way to obtain some Euros for this stop? Can you get Euros at the Guest Services desk? Should I try to bring some from home? Any other suggestions?

We have had good luck getting Euro's from a local ATM. We find the exchange rate to be favorable, and the type of debit card we carry does not have ATM fees or foreign transaction fees.

We always get foreign currency through Wells Fargo before leaving home. You don't need to be a customer of theirs, and their exchange rate is fairly good. Order online and it is delivered the next day. Last time I ordered the cost was $12 for orders under $1000, no charge for amounts higher. This is easy and quick and let's you arrive without having to find an ATM or a currency exchange.

We will be sailing on the NCL Jade. I actually called their customer service and the ship we are traveling on will exchange currency to Euros at $10.00 per transaction. If you use a credit card, your bank should convert the rate for you.

Don't forget to call your bank and report to them that you will be traveling so that your credit card does not have a hold put on it.

Safe Sailing

You can do currency exchange at the Guest Services Desk but the exchange rate isn't the greatest. I don't remember there being a service charge on top, but my memory could be failing me.

Really, the best bet is to use a local ATM as their exchange rates tend to be better than other places. If you contact your bank before you leave they can tell you if they have agreements in place with any local banks (using an ATM from a partner of your bank makes for fewer fees).

Another option is to use your credit card for purchases. Some credit cards don't have foreign transaction fees -- Capital One's Venture Card comes to mind.

As a frequent world traveler (see below), the best exchange rate you get is via an ATM. That is my experience at airports and major cities. Now finding a bank in Guadeloupe port, you'll have to ask in the ports of call section.

Archived