Avomine or Bonine for sea sickness?

Which one is better for prevention of sea sickness? Which one is less likely to cause drowsiness?

I know Bonine is not available in Australia but I have seen it on eBay and other online website.

I used to take kwell but would sleep the whole day with it. I don't want to miss any of my first cruise!

I get travel sickness very easily. I am going to use seaband as well.

Which one is better for prevention of sea sickness? Which one is less likely to cause drowsiness?

I know Bonine is not available in Australia but I have seen it on eBay and other online website.

I used to take kwell but would sleep the whole day with it. I don't want to miss any of my first cruise!

I get seasick when the waters get rough so after trial and error I have found that Avomine works for me. I start taking it several days before the cruise and then take one each night about an hour before bed...this keeps you from getting drowsy. They tell you not to drink alcohol when you are taking it though. It works great for me! The sea bands did nothing for me..except leave marks on my wrists for days after I removed them. Good luck and hope this helps.

we have seen people buy Avomine from the pursers desk after being sea sick and after a couple of days they are fine

Avomine is the one I use and it is wonderful, no side affects at all. Strangely I stopped using it when going from port to port in NZ as the seas were calm, then I forgot to resume the night before crossing the Tasman. By mid morning the seas were big and I was feeling sea sicky woozy and took to bed, before I did I popped the forgotten Avomine and by mid afternoon I was fine. I will never forget to take it each night ever again. :o

I use Avomine. When I did my 1st cruise I went to the doctors & that is what they gave me. Works well. I take 1 the night before the cruise then half in the morning & half before leaving each port. I do this for the whole cruise & I am fine. I have a few cocktails when cruising & all is good. Suexxx

We use Sea Legs ( same as Bonine but NZ brand) I have never experienced anything like it, its like someone turned off the seasick centre of your brain! Amazing.

I've never had a problem with drowsiness, doctor friend did though, so she took one each morning instead of two and she had no more problems, and she gets seasick in the bathtub!

Bonine and most all of the other "brand" names of motion sickness relief are meclizine HCl 25 mg. I now buy the generic brands because they are SO much cheaper and they are all the same thing. You can find it at any pharmacy or discount store.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, saw it at the Chemists during my lunch break. Was told it's not too good, travelcalm is much better, in her opinion. More confused than ever - walked out with nothing :-(

Vicki.

I too use Avomine for all my Cruises and as everyone else says take one a couple of days before leaving and then one at night for a couple of nights for the first couple of days unless rough seas (if it has white caps it's rough).

Have tried Travelcalm and Kwells but both of them left me with a dry scratchy throat all the time I thought I was coming down with a cold.

Avomine is a only available by asking the Chemist for them (just like you would do when asking for extra strength pain relief like Panedine Extra or Cold tablets with Antihistamine in them).

I also use them when travelling by car for long periods of time or on particularly curvy roads.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, saw it at the Chemists during my lunch break. Was told it's not too good, travelcalm is much better, in her opinion. More confused than ever - walked out with nothing :-(

Vicki.

I did not like Avomine when i used it. I took it the night before we left and then each night before bed. I did not like the way it made me feel during the day i sort of felt foggy in the head and couldn't enjoy the cruise. The next time we cruised i used Travacalm which i found worked. I found it was better to take half a tablet at night and the other half in the morning. On the same cruise i purchased Bonine and prefered that over the other two.

Linda:)

Avomine fan here too.... I take it two nights before my cruise and every night during the cruise..... I have never been sea sick and have never caught one of those silly colds that seem to go around ships sometimes. Maybe I have been lucky with the colds but my DH doesn't suffer with seasickness but seemed to always catch the colds.... now he takes it as well and since he has he has not caught a cold on a ship.... coincidence? Who knows!

I must say though that you get an excellent nights sleep with it but I tend to wake up groggy for the first 5 mins or so and then I am fine, worth it though, would hate to suffer from sea sickness and have part of my holiday ruined.

Definitely Bonine since first buying Sea Legs in Fiji & then Bonine in Alaska (where it cost a fortune) I have a friend buy me some when she travels to the States. Generic brand Meclazine - she gets me a bottle of 100tabs for around $4USD

The Royal Caribbean ships have seasick meds for free in the medical centre. It is meclazine, the active ingredient of Bonine. HAL ships have it at the front desk for free. Both lines have Bonine for sale in the gift shop. I have now stocked up on the freebies for when I cruise and can't get it.

we went down to the medical centre early one morning when my daughter was sick, after a few days and she still could'nt shake it...

it was closed but they had a big box full of bonine packets ( 2 in each ) ... she grabbed handfull...... said she took a couple .... slept for a couple of hours ..... and she was great for the rest of the cruise....

• 9 months later...

I also find that Avomine is best. I used to rely on Travelcalm (not the herbal ones) until I was very sick when our ship encountered 10m seas. The medical centre nurse on the ship told me to take Avomine. It certainly did help.

I only take it when it gets rough (around 6 metres seas) and I have coped with 12m seas without feeling the slightest bit sick.

I loved avomine had travel sickness all my life I had never tried avomine we went one our first cruise in march around Tasmania I thought I would try them started taking them 2 nights before we left and for the first 2 days on the ship I was fine there was one day It got a bit rough on our way to Sydney I took a stemetil and was fine

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app