Do we need a tour guide in Rio?

wailea4me

We basically want to go to the top of Corcovado and Sugarloaf. Are there any advantages to doing this with a guide, like going to the head of the line? Any other recommendations of things to see in Rio?

Most guides will have line jumping privileges. Whether you need that depends on when you go to these venues. For other sights consult the Rio forum and associated 'Things to Do' link at www.tripadvisor.com.

Most guides will have line jumping privileges. Whether you need that depends on when you go to these venues. For other sights consult the Rio forum and associated 'Things to Do' link at www.tripadvisor.com.

How do you get to the Rio forum? All I see is South America in the ports of call.

Do you move your cursor to http://www.tripadvisor.com ? And did you then click on "forums", then "So America", then "Rio?"

Corcovada is easy to do on your own.

Either taxi to the funicular lower station, or negotiate a price for a taxi to take you from ship to the top, wait about an hour for you, take you to your next destination, eg Sugarloaf, then pay the driver off.

By funicular. You buy a timed ticket at the lower station. So although you'll have to stand in line for the tickets, if there's a gap before your train time you can go find a beer. Important - cruise ships & other groups block-book, for around 10.30 IIRC. So go early to avoid a big big wait - could be a couple of hours if you time it wrong.

As we did :eek:.

When we arrived to join the line for tickets, I checked the times on tickets of those leaving the ticket booth - about a 20 minute gap. During the 15 minutes or so that we were stood in line, that gap had jumped to over 90 minutes due to those block-bookings.

There are taxis available at the bottom station, so the opportunity to change your plans if the wait is going to be too long - but you'll not have great bargaining-power.

By taxi. Taxi takes you to the top, no need to use the funicular so probably your best bet mid-morning. Important - there's a sizeable entry fee at the top. This fee is included in the funicular ticket-price but not in the taxi drivers' quotes. So check out the entry fee on the 'net (high & low seasons) so that you can compare total costs.

No taxis available at the top, you need your taxi to wait for you.

Sugarloaf Very easy to DIY. The views from Sugarloaf are way way better, you are above the city whereas Corcovada gives more-distant & possibly misty views. Very handy to beaches etc too.

Something I could never understand about cablecars, funiculars etc worldwide. Often there's long lines to go up, but I don't ever recall a long wait to come back down. :confused:

One of life's little mysteries ;)

JB :)

• 2 months later...

Just returned from Rio. Had a private guide Manu Peclat.

www.cariocawayoflife.blogspot.com

I cannot re-iterate how important is to have a guide in Rio. First he is watching the weather and the traffic so he will take you the fastest way to your destination and he will be sure that yo uwill be able to enjoy the spot, as oppose to arrive at Corcovado and realized that there is zero visibiliy.

I also think that he can take you to various safe areas and you will make much more of your visit, but this depends on how much time you have available. I definitely suggest you send him an e-mail to discuss your concerns.

We used a private guide and found that we beat the crowds with using him. His name was Pedro (Peter) Novak. He has an ancient car which meant that we did not get hassled as targets. He also took us on a favelo tour and I am sure he knew everyone as he was greeted continuously as he showed us around Rio. He is very proud of his city and gave us excellent tours.

.... he will be sure that yo uwill be able to enjoy the spot, as oppose to arrive at Corcovado and realized that there is zero visibiliy.

The Cristo statue is visible from a lot of the streets in Rio where toruists might find themselves. No reason you can't simply look up and see or not see the statue and draw your own conclusions about the visibility. No need to pay $250/day for that. :rolleyes:

The Cristo statue is visible from a lot of the streets in Rio where toruists might find themselves. No reason you can't simply look up and see or not see the statue and draw your own conclusions about the visibility. No need to pay $250/day for that. :rolleyes:

I agree. Ditto for Sugarloaf with the possible exception of a guide's practice of jumping lines to save a 1/2 hour during peak tourist season.

A guide might be advisable if one wanted to see the sights other than the big 2 icons, eg. outer beaches, downtown Saara markets, cafe Columbo, Lapa (esp at night), Tijuca forrest, Copacabana fort for a brunch, San Bento church, Lagoa cafes in the evening, the new Museo do Rio near Praca Maua, Ipanema shops, Leblon's restaurant row, etc - a lot of things in one day when a car might save on aggregated taxi fares.

we had a guide too and it was convenient, but for the three other days there we did our own thing. It certainly can be done on your own, especially Sugar Loaf as it is nearby.

For Christ Redeemer as we were with a private guide in her car we were able to skip the train and go half way up and save a lot of time. But others I know took transit to it and had a great time.

Just returned from Rio. Had a private guide Manu Peclat.

www.cariocawayoflife.blogspot.com

I cannot re-iterate how important is to have a guide in Rio. First he is watching the weather and the traffic so he will take you the fastest way to your destination and he will be sure that yo uwill be able to enjoy the spot, as oppose to arrive at Corcovado and realized that there is zero visibiliy.

I also think that he can take you to various safe areas and you will make much more of your visit, but this depends on how much time you have available. I definitely suggest you send him an e-mail to discuss your concerns.

I had a look at Manu's website and his 2 day tour looks good. I sent him an email five days ago asking about availability for the two days I'll be in Rio next January but haven't heard from him yet. Did you have to wait long for a reply when you first contacted him regarding his tours?

Archived