Alaska Sailings - Insects????

cctimmom

Fairbanks at sunset .. mosquitoes, needed OFF. Other than that, no issues. Don't be put off, GO!

MH is trying to tell me that Alaska has oodles of mosquitos and bugs... is this just a way of him dissuading us from doing an Alaskan sailing, or is there truth to this?

MH is trying to tell me that Alaska has oodles of mosquitos and bugs... is this just a way of him dissuading us from doing an Alaskan sailing, or is there truth to this?

We went in July and never saw one mosquito...but our weather was not very warm either we had light showers the entire trip and the temp was between 64 - 68...and I would do that trip again in a heartbeat it was beautiful. Go and have a blast!!

We only saw some mosquitos when doing zipline in the woods. I had brought an entire box of the Deep Woods off wipes (individually wrapped). We used only 1.

Go - you will LOVE Alaska.. The most beautiful scenery!!

We went at the end of May and never experienced any bugs, even in the forested area in Sitka. I imagine it would be more of an issue if you're going to Denali, but just the regular cruise, very unlikely.

I have been to AK several times. I ran into very large mosquitos in Denali away from the visitor center area particularly when we visited Wonder Lake. I also run into them outside Fairbanks. I have never seen any in Skagway, Juneau or Ketchikan (always raining there!). By all means do the AK trip and being some repellant if you need it.

I have spent a lot of nights camping in a tent in AK particularly Denali, Fairbanks and inside the artic circle and enjoyed every minute.

I have heard the mosquito referred to as Alaska's national bird. :eek:

Having said that my Cruise Tour was absolutely bite free. Still have the can of jungle strength Deet.

Alaska is the most extraordinary destination and you will have an amazing experience. GO!!

Go. There is more chance of getting the human bot fly carried by mosquitos in the Caribbean, so don't let him sway you on mosquitos in Alaska. We have been there 2 times and never been bothered, and we didn't even take bug spray. I am sure if you are in the marsh you will find them, but I'd be more worried about the bears in that situation.

Go you tube it (human bot fly), but don't show him. You might never go back to the Caribbean again.:p On a side note, we haven't been bother by mosquitos in the Caribbean either.

Andrew

Go. There is more chance of getting the human bot fly carried by mosquitos in the Caribbean, so don't let him sway you on mosquitos in Alaska. We have been there 2 times and never been bothered, and we didn't even take bug spray. I am sure if you are in the marsh you will find them, but I'd be more worried about the bears in that situation.

Go you tube it (human bot fly), but don't show him. You might never go back to the Caribbean again.:p On a side note, we haven't been bother by mosquitos in the Caribbean either.

Andrew

I got bitten bad last year in the Caribbean.... enough to send me to the Medical Centre for ointment.... I think there was some kind of invisible sign : all you can eat...... :eek:

A family friend lived in Alaska for 10+ years. She says that the mosquitos there can be so bad that you will be convinced you went to the darkest depths of the jungle and not one of the coldest inhabited regions in the Western world.

She also said that window is relatively small and if you just carry some bug spray with deet, you'll do fine.

I got bitten bad last year in the Caribbean.... enough to send me to the Medical Centre for ointment.... I think there was some kind of invisible sign : all you can eat...... :eek:

If the same bug saw me, they would think buffet.

A family friend lived in Alaska for 10+ years. She says that the mosquitos there can be so bad that you will be convinced you went to the darkest depths of the jungle and not one of the coldest inhabited regions in the Western world.

She also said that window is relatively small and if you just carry some bug spray with deet, you'll do fine.

I have always said they should do Survivor there in the summer. With 24 hours of daylight, and the bugs alone it could do a lot of fun things to their psyche.

Go you tube it (human bot fly), but don't show him. You might never go back to the Caribbean again.:p

Andrew

:eek: I think I will wait until AFTER our Southern Caribbean sailing in April to you tube this... LMAO :eek:

THANK YOU EVERYBODY! This is just what I was hoping to hear!

Well, 23 years of going to Alaska every summer, and yeah, there are plenty of Mosquitoes. However, you will need to get off the beaten trail to find them. Then.... you WILL need to protect yourself. For the average pac going to Alaska they will only see a few from time to time. As others said, they can be daunting in Denali, and downright insane if you head even further north. But there is NO port free of them.

Stop worrying about bugs and rather what to wear on what is arguably the top cruise in the world. :)

I did get bitten in Alaska 23 years while on my first cruise and have not gotten over the cruising disease it gave me. :D

I have never cruised Alaska, but I can tell you that Anchorage in June had tons of Mosquitoes outside of the downtown area. And the Mosquitoes at Denali were terrible. I doubt that mosquitoes are going to fly out to sea and follow a ship.

Just carry some off with you when you go into ports.

I remember taking some Off with me to Alaska and never using it. We sailed in June/July 2011 to Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway... and come to think of it I don't remember seeing a single insect, let alone a mosquito.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I have always said they should do Survivor there in the summer. With 24 hours of daylight, and the bugs alone it could do a lot of fun things to their psyche.

I have thought the same, problem is, the producers like to have the contestants run around half naked for those 5 weeks. Even in Summer Alaska may be too cold for that

Archived