Lifeboat stations and wheelchair users

glojo

Hi NomDePlume. I'm sorry for the typo in my earlier post, it was unintentional.

My appreciation and respect for the training and dedication of the staff has often been mentioned on this forum. I also mentioned earlier in this thread that perhaps the OP's question would be best asked after the Muster Drill.

Of course, this is a matter that mostly affects those using mobility devices. However, anyone can be injured during an emergency at sea (furniture moving, ship listing, etc) and any one of us might require help getting to the muster station, so we should all know what to do in such an event. And now, thank's to buemarble's post, we have information straight from Cunard.:)

Regards,

Salacia

Apology accepted. And interesting (to say the least) that Bluemarble's post confirms what I posted. Perhaps I'm not a troll after all?

All the best!

One is here, MonDePlune.

And I have a question, one challenging even my magnificent brain: my understanding of the word 'troll' is someone who posts inflammatory messages in a forum or similar, with the primary intent of provoking others into a response or of otherwise disrupting normal discussion. Your posts on this thread could hardly be described thus, and neither could any of the preceeding 1,884 posts you've made since August 2007.

Even more importantly, how does an ex-cat get off in the event of an emergency?

Sir Martin

My dear sIr narTin

How delightful to hear from you! May I suggest we book the same voyages, and I will make sure you reach your destination?

Yours ever, etc. etc. etc.

Nom

O I believe he's out shopping for bin bags and bricks, even as I type.

No need as far as that particular ex-cat is concerned. I was very disappointed to see that they didn't use its earthly remains to grit to roads during the last spell of cold weather :(

I would think that an "evacuation chair" is similar to a "stair chair" used by EMS personnel. The evacuee/patient is strapped securely into the chair and can be transported up or down stairs safely, provided that there is an adequate number of people (2-4) to maneuver the chair. The chair has wheels so it can be pushed like a regular wheelchair, but it also has angled treads so it doesn't roll uncontrolled down the steps.

I would think that an "evacuation chair" is similar to a "stair chair" used by EMS personnel. The evacuee/patient is strapped securely into the chair and can be transported up or down stairs safely, provided that there is an adequate number of people (2-4) to maneuver the chair. The chair has wheels so it can be pushed like a regular wheelchair, but it also has angled treads so it doesn't roll uncontrolled down the steps.

Thank you for that - I wondered what an evacuation chair might look like, having never seen one. I've seen amazing rescues by EMS personnel, including more than one family member who was brought to safety.

But since it takes 2-4 people to maneuvor the evacuation chair, it is good to know that passengers might be of help, because no matter how well trained or dedicated the crew is - they can't do it all by themselves.

When I go in October (as a carer) I will find the appropriate person to ask and report back.We are booked in a adapted cabin so my question will come from a mobility impaired person and carer. Looking at it from Cunards point of view, can you imagine the PR disaster if you had to abandon ship and all the disabled and infirm passengers are the ones left behind, what happened when the Concordia sank, was it not young people including a child and the crew that perished? I actually don't know that answer relying on my memory which is very suspect some days!

Now I think of it when we booked our cabin, we both noticed its on same deck as lifeboats, does one of the Cunard experts know, are the adapted cabins sighted by the lifeboats, as that makes sense, to me anyway.

When I go in October (as a carer) I will find the appropriate person to ask and report back.We are booked in a adapted cabin so my question will come from a mobility impaired person and carer. Looking at it from Cunards point of view, can you imagine the PR disaster if you had to abandon ship and all the disabled and infirm passengers are the ones left behind, what happened when the Concordia sank, was it not young people including a child and the crew that perished? I actually don't know that answer relying on my memory which is very suspect some days!

Now I think of it when we booked our cabin, we both noticed its on same deck as lifeboats, does one of the Cunard experts know, are the adapted cabins sighted by the lifeboats, as that makes sense, to me anyway.

Just had a quick look at the deck plan and note that 5110 and I believe 5105 are adapted cabins and is that the deck folks go to access the lifeboats?

Apologies for the troll attack :o:o but the post was somewhat inflammatorary and if this 'friend' did suggest it was okay to jump from the upper deck wearing the equipment I described then I am very sorry but they are plain wrong and I don't care if it is the Commodore himself ;):) (he would agree with me on this issue) I was wrong to rise to this remark and should have ignored it.

Humour and banter is a major part of my life and I guess I am guilty of putting too much faith in believing we all recognise this when we hold these types of discussions. I tend to drift with the flow and try to inject this humour as and when I can. I am even a Spurs supporter which shows I must have some sense of humour?? ;)

Spursdebs,

Thank you for the offer of reporting back and I for one look forward to reading your post.

As I keep repeating I have never cruised before but that fact should not preclude me from asking any type of question that I think might be relevant. In fact I would suggest I should be encouraged to ask as it is far better to know an answer as opposed to being left wondering what this answer is?

"Humour and banter is a major part of my life and I guess I am guilty of putting too much faith in believing we all recognise this when we hold these types of discussions. I tend to drift with the flow and try to inject this humour as and when I can. I am even a Spurs supporter which shows I must have some sense of humour?? "

I sometimes wonder if English humour translates well, and if you don't ask questions how will we ever learn?

And yes you do need a sense of humour to follow Spurs and a great deal of faith and patience!!

I for one do temper my sense of humour on here and other travel forums as it is quite dark and quite near the mark, and I know it won't be appreciated by some.

Interesting that some lines are now beginning either to a) not allow passengers with mobility problems on board b) only allow them to use modified cabins c) wheelchairs must be kept in cabins overnight so do not block the alleyways - it seems that they are now trying to work out the best way to deal with this problem. Maybe the companies should get together to come up with a common policy.

And it is a problem as we see more and more mobility scooters on board.

I am told (I have not had this confirmed) that on P&O they are told to get to the lifts where crew members will assist to get them to the lifeboats. But as I have certainly noticed some mobility scooters seem to be used by obese passengers which will make this a tricky job.

I just know that when the emergency bells ring it can be a tough time when discipline is all important. I speak as an ex Merchant Navy officer and safety officer in charge of emergency drills and exercises.

Interesting that some lines are now beginning either to a) not allow passengers with mobility problems on board b) only allow them to use modified cabins c) wheelchairs must be kept in cabins overnight so do not block the alleyways - it seems that they are now trying to work out the best way to deal with this problem. Maybe the companies should get together to come up with a common policy.

And it is a problem as we see more and more mobility scooters on board.

I am told (I have not had this confirmed) that on P&O they are told to get to the lifts where crew members will assist to get them to the lifeboats. But as I have certainly noticed some mobility scooters seem to be used by obese passengers which will make this a tricky job.

I just know that when the emergency bells ring it can be a tough time when discipline is all important. I speak as an ex Merchant Navy officer and safety officer in charge of emergency drills and exercises.

The first bit is discrimination and would open up companies to law suits, the second bit is a tad insensitive "only allow them" makes us sound like we have some disease you can catch!! and I thought wheelchairs and scooters HAD to be kept in cabins anyway?

And no one has answered my question, what was the ages of the people who perished in the Concordia tragedy and were any mobility impaired?

How soon we forget the details of the Concordia deaths. I recall the most if not all of the deaths were of younger people and it wasn't mentioned that they had any type of disability. One couple was a father and young child.

How soon we forget the details of the Concordia deaths. I recall the most if not all of the deaths were of younger people and it wasn't mentioned that they had any type of disability. One couple was a father and young child.

The last lifeboat drill (or whatever you want to call it) I attended was on the 14th February 2012, not long after Concordia. When the man started speaking over the tannoy the area I was in (Kings Court) went completely silent. This wasn't the case on the previous life boat drills I've attended (pre Concordia) so I think it did play on people's minds.

You raise a good point about the Concordia deaths, in a disaster it probably matters a great deal where you happen to be at that given time and whether it's possible to reach safety. Even the young and healthy will die if the path to safety is blocked.

If the posts here are correct and most Concordia fatalities were younger passengers then well done the crew on that vessel to get all the elder and less mobile cruisers off the ship. Perhaps we should leave this at that - and hope none of us are ever in a position with emergency bells ringing and thinking 'Oh dear How am I going to get out.'

Lets be thankful that disasters are very few and far between and cruising is just about as safe as it comes.

The last lifeboat drill (or whatever you want to call it) I attended was on the 14th February 2012, not long after Concordia. When the man started speaking over the tannoy the area I was in (Kings Court) went completely silent. This wasn't the case on the previous life boat drills I've attended (pre Concordia) so I think it did play on people's minds.

You raise a good point about the Concordia deaths, in a disaster it probably matters a great deal where you happen to be at that given time and whether it's possible to reach safety. Even the young and healthy will die if the path to safety is blocked.

Yes, I noticed that, too. (I think we were also mustered in KC that day.) But when we were onboard QM2 in November, people still were listening during the drill, but not as attentively. How soon we forget...

The first bit is discrimination and would open up companies to law suits, the second bit is a tad insensitive "only allow them" makes us sound like we have some disease you can catch!! and I thought wheelchairs and scooters HAD to be kept in cabins anyway?

And no one has answered my question, what was the ages of the people who perished in the Concordia tragedy and were any mobility impaired?

Please don't blame the person who posted "only allow them" or call him/her insensitive. I gather that you haven't cruised a lot, so you may not be aware of the changes that some cruise lines have made. Some lines are requiring passengers with mobility issues to book adapted cabins, even if they don't need the adapted bath and other adaptations. There was a lot of discussion about this when Cunard instituted this rule some months back.

On Cunard, wheelchairs and scooters must be kept in cabins. More and more lines are saying this. But on some lines (HAL, unless they've changed recently), you can park a scooter outside your cabin and when you're in for the night, your steward moves it to somewhere out of the way and returns it to you in the morning.

Just had a quick look at the deck plan and note that 5110 and I believe 5105 are adapted cabins and is that the deck folks go to access the lifeboats?

Apologies for the troll attack :o:o but the post was somewhat inflammatorary and if this 'friend' did suggest it was okay to jump from the upper deck wearing the equipment I described then I am very sorry but they are plain wrong and I don't care if it is the Commodore himself ;):) (he would agree with me on this issue) I was wrong to rise to this remark and should have ignored it.

Humour and banter is a major part of my life and I guess I am guilty of putting too much faith in believing we all recognise this when we hold these types of discussions. I tend to drift with the flow and try to inject this humour as and when I can. I am even a Spurs supporter which shows I must have some sense of humour?? ;)

Spursdebs,

Thank you for the offer of reporting back and I for one look forward to reading your post.

As I keep repeating I have never cruised before but that fact should not preclude me from asking any type of question that I think might be relevant. In fact I would suggest I should be encouraged to ask as it is far better to know an answer as opposed to being left wondering what this answer is?

I am getting quite confused by your post (particularly your Apology, as it seems you accused me of (a) something I never posted, and (b) something you yourself wrote about jumping overboard in your post #25. For reference, here is what I wrote in post #31, followed by a partial quote of your post #25.

Mine:

May I (respectfully, of course--is there any other way?) share the point of view of a dear friend, who's offspring works for Cunard--the ships, not the onshore offices:

"I find this thread thoroughly offensive. Some posters there are effectively calling into question the professionalism, training and commitment of the ships' complements, without an iota of real knowledge. Frankly, the time, effort and ability that is put into various different categories of exercise on a continuous basis, requiring the crew to partake during their "off-duty" hours, beggars belief but all must be carried out under the requirements of Maritime Law and, in the case of CUK, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

I wonder how some of your "armchair experts" would behave in their professional capacity if they were to be offered "assistance and guidance" by enthusiastic amateurs, however well intentioned, in the prosecution of their day-to-day business activities."

Please excuse me whilst I try and soothe the wounded parent...compounding rugby scores with the above will take more than a dram...

And, by the way, lifevests on a ship are nothing like those in use on a plane...

Yours:

...As the ship sinks I am sure the water level will eventually reach our balcony so I will simply get my leg over..... the railings then step quite neatly into my allocated life boat that will have tied up starboard side to on my private pontoon, the crew will be neatly turned out in their best uniforms and I will be piped aboard in a manner befitting my rank!...

Whilst suggesting a more careful reading of who-posts-what is very, very tempting, I would now like to leave this all behind, as the thought of having to entertain any kind of comment by our dearly departed feline(s) is enough to ruin one's otherwise perfect morning.

Archived