Paris to Normandy Avalon/July 2014

TravelingLadyOhio

We have just booked a cruise w/Avalon for July 2014, Paris to Normandy. If anyone has taken this cruise, can you please tell me if Avalon offered an optional excursion the day of arrival, to help fill the time before boarding the boat later that afternoon. This will be our 2nd cruise w/Avalon and we loved our last one on the Rhine. Thanks for any and all info.

As I recall there were several optionals you could take as well as the Moulin Rouge in the evening, which I recommend.

You could also do Paris by yourself, using the mass transit which we took to the Marais and Sacre Coeur. There is masses of information on visiting Paris both on CCritic and Tripadvisor.

Make sure you go on the DDay excursion if you haven't been. Every American should see it.

The trip is wonderful.

D Day excursions from Paris is a 6 plus hr round trip by train. This is not a one day excursion. A two day trip, ride the Train down in the afternoon, spend the night and do a proper tour the next day (Over Lord Tours) and then take the Train back to Paris the next evening.

Not everyone has the time or inclination to do an independent tour. If time is limited, the ship's excursion to the DDay sites does a nice job. Omaha Beach, Pont du Hoc, German fortifications, Arromanches, Museum, Mulberry harbors, and the Cemetery are all seen.

I can't describe the feeling of standing on the beach and looking back up at the German positions.

As an American I thank the men and women of France who honor and keep the Cemetery.

yes, I know that it is granted soil, and I believe that the US Federal Government is responsible for the tending of the graves.

I was speaking generally of the care and dedication that the French have for American graves, especially the ones not in granted land throughout their country. I shouldn't have capitalized "Cemetery" so thanks for the correction.

This is a wonderful itinerary. Just looking out of the cabin window sometimes was an impressionist painting composition in itself. The various little towns and villages are so beautiful that we plan to return to Normandy and stay there itself.

DH went with all the Americans on the Normandy beaches trip but other options were available for those who were not particularly concerned to attend. Not everybody was American. I felt a bit sorry for the Germans on the boat!

There is an included tour of Paris on the first day (or the last as in our case depending on the locks etc).

Its all interesting and beautiful. I hope you enjoy it.

Archived