Sea Sickness sailing Eastern

youwash

Is there a bigger chance of getting sea-sickness when leaving Florida sailing to San Juan? I ask with 2 things in mind. We only sailed eastern once and some of us were sick that sea day-litterally as soon as we entered the area of San Juan port we perked up and were ready to eat. Second is the review from -I think- librarylady19 she mentioned she was feeling some sea-sickness that day.

My sisters and I are trying to plan a cruise for next Feb. and would like to do the Reflection and my experience may be tainting their view.

Is there a bigger chance of getting sea-sickness when leaving Florida sailing to San Juan? I ask with 2 things in mind. We only sailed eastern once and some of us were sick that sea day-litterally as soon as we entered the area of San Juan port we perked up and were ready to eat. Second is the review from -I think- librarylady19 she mentioned she was feeling some sea-sickness that day.

My sisters and I are trying to plan a cruise for next Feb. and would like to do the Reflection and my experience may be tainting their view.

Greetings

Sometimes the sea is sweet and sometimes she is evil. If you are sailing in the winter, the passage of cold fronts have a big effect on the seas. The wave heights are very dependant upon the winds. The major fronts bring with them high winds. They usually just last a couple of days and the winds and seas subside. The further you get into spring, the less the fronts make it this far south. So you just never know what type of seas you will have for your cruise. And don't worry about the ship being able to withstand the seas, she will take way more that the passengers ever can.

Good Sailing

Tom

We just sailed on the ruby princess from ft. Lauderdale in early January and we experienced more rocking than western itineraries the same time of year. Both times on this itinerary we have had significant rocking so would probably choose western when available.

The worst seas I have ever been on were on a western Caribbean itinerary (seas 20-30'). Some of the best seas I have ever been on have been on an eastern Caribbean. There is no telling. All one can do is look at trends and unless one goes to the deep southern Caribbean (which tends to be smoother, other than the trip over to Aruba and back), you may have calm seas and you may have rocky seas. Pick a cabin mid-ship on a lower floor, prepare yourself for potential seasickness by reading up on it on these boards, and then just keep your fingers crossed and try not to worry about it.

I would add one more thing - if you are concerned about seasickness, it is always wise to start taking meds before you board (even the day before) and then you can go off them if the seas are calm. If you have been on dry land for months/years and then suddenly you are at sea, you can be more affected at first that you might be later in the cruise as your body adjusts (to some extent). I have found this to definitely be true for me, and I am very susceptible. I can take 10' seas in stride by day 4 or 5 at sea, but if I hit them the first day without meds I will be green.

Archived