Some HAL questions

LADinCT

fyi- I had to reset my username, I hadn't cruised in 7 or so years, but I've cruised 10+ on a variety of lines. HAL was by far our favorite, but I can't remember a few things. We are thinking of booking the Eurodam E. Car for March. Was thinking of booking just an outside, but the code red makes me a little nervous. Would hate to be sick without a balcony.

What is the situation with Half Moon Cay? Does it take long to disembark? Is it difficult to find chairs on the beach?

Can we carry our own wine on board and pay corkage or has that been discontinued.

How hard is it to get specialty restaurant reservations?

Do they generally offer upgrades close to the sail date either free or at a reduced rate?

Do they offer dancing lessons as part of daily activities?

Is there an adult only pool? Is it enforced? Is there a solarium? How about a place to be outside on deck without the sun?

They use a large ferry to tender passengers from the ship to HMC & back. There may be a long line, but it usually goes quickly.

You can carryon 2 bottles of wine. A corkage fee applies only if you take the wine to the dining room.

You can make specialty restaurant reservations on the website before sailing, or once you get onboard. Unless it's a special day, Valentines Day, Mother's Day, etc. you should have a good choice of times & dates to choose from.

Whether you are offered an upgrade depends on how fully the ship is booked. It can happen, but it usually involves an up charge.

Yes, dancing lessons are offered as part of the daily activities.

There are very few children on board. There isn't a solarium, but the pools have a roof that can be opened or closed. I don't know if there is an adult only pool on the Eurodam. There are plenty of places to sit in the shade, and plenty of quiet places in the shade, too.

Enjoy your cruise.

I see that there is only a $150 difference pp between outside & veranda, so it might be worth it to book the veranda.

Any tips for HMC & getting a good location?

Study the Ship Plan, to find out if you may be subject to noise. IMO elevators are not a problem.

john

I see that there is only a $150 difference pp between outside & veranda, so it might be worth it to book the veranda.

Any tips for HMC & getting a good location?

In my opinion a veranda is well worth it. I would not go without it Bill

Ship's Cabanas -- sometimes they sell out quickly -- sometimes they don't.

You can call ship services about renting one for the week -- 1-800-541-1576. There are 2 types. One set of cabanas are by the Lido Pool (where the children are allowed). The other set of cabanas is called the Retreat up on the Observation Deck over looking the Lido Pool and the Ocean (have more breeze).

Aft Pool is supposed to be the adult pool. But everyone once in a while you will see a child or two using it. No one to really enforce the rules. There are shady places to sit here.

We are looking at first HAL cruise on the Noordam. We are used to Princess and have a balcony ie: Verandah question. Can you get 2 cabins beside each other that would have a door that can be unlocked like on Princess?

Thanks! Deb

We are looking at first HAL cruise on the Noordam. We are used to Princess and have a balcony ie: Verandah question. Can you get 2 cabins beside each other that would have a door that can be unlocked like on Princess?

Thanks! Deb

If you view the deck plans of Noordam, you'll notice "+" signs on the diagram of the ship (among others, there are several symbols used). Those "+" signs denote connecting cabins and there several on the verandah deck, as well as other decks.

Some Eurodam questions. I read through many many reviews btw but still have questions.

What is with the dining? I read people talking about reservations, I thought there weren't any. They don't offer any time option on the booking but I assume it is because we are booking late. Does everyone eat in the same dining room for dinner apart from the Windjammer?

3 Specialty restaurants - Tamarind, Pinnacle & the Italian place? What are the upcharges & can I make res' prior to sailing or do I do it when we board?

What is with the dining? I read people talking about reservations, I thought there weren't any. They don't offer any time option on the booking but I assume it is because we are booking late. Does everyone eat in the same dining room for dinner apart from the Windjammer?

There are many options for dining.

There is one dining room. The upper level is for fixed seating at early (5:45), or main (8:00). The lower level is for open seating. You can make reservations for limited times, or arrive when you want. There may, or may not, be a short wait.

You can dine casually in the Lido from 5:15-8:00.

You can go to a specialty restaurant.

3 Specialty restaurants - Tamarind, Pinnacle & the Italian place? What are the upcharges & can I make res' prior to sailing or do I do it when we board?

You can make dinner reservations in advance for any of the specialty restaurants, or book once on board (if times/days are available).

The Tamarind is $15, Pinnacle $25, and Canaletto $10, with discounts for 3,4, and 5* Mariners.

Tamarind is open for a set-menu lunch (no charge), and Pinnacle is open for lunch on some days ($10). Mariner discounts apply. Canaletto is not open at lunchtime.

Reservations can be made once on board.

Archived